Cheap 6.5 Creedmoor

pacecars

I tried the Ruger American and the Compass and I was surprised that the Compass actually felt better to me. I mean it ain't a Kimber, Steyr Mannlicher or Brno (speaking of which, if you ever want to sell your 8x57 please keep me in mind) but it is a CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored of a lot better than its price would indicate

Klondike

Savage 12FV

At Cabelas NRA event the rifle is $269 after rebate. Multiple short action calibers available.

They do this about every 12 months. In the cheap rifle battle I think this gun has been the best value in the market the past 3 years. I may go buy another 6.5 creedmoor just to have the barrel and action

bevills1

Near the end of the American Rifleman review at https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/9/7/thompsoncenter-compass-rifle-review/ he says "the composite stock is somewhat easily contorted if pressure is applied to the fore-end, such as when “stacking” a bipod or cinching tightly on a sling (i.e. military-style or Ching Sling). This can affect the barrel’s free-floating nature." Has anybody here who has one noticed this problem?

The author also said the stock has an undeniable "cheap" feel to it, but I disagree. Today I went to Academy to look at one and thought the rifle had a very nice feel to it. I've always preferred the feel of the Remington 700 to all other rifles I've shot, and the TC Compass feels very much the same to me. I also very much like the threaded muzzle which allows use of muzzle brake or suppressor which makes it a good choice for youngsters or anyone recoil sensitive without need to buy reduced recoil ammo.

bevills1

It's funny how some new calibers seem to become very popular quickly while practically identical ballistics are seen in existing calibers that don't become popular. For example the 260 Rem has been around for quite a few years but never became very popular while the 6.5 Creedmore seems to have become quite popular in a short time even though ballistics are nearly identical to the 260 Rem. Ammo costs less and more easily found for the Creedmore than for the Rem too.

When I looked at the TC Compass rifle, I noticed lifting the bolt requires noticeably more force when the rifle is not cocked than when it is cocked. I wonder if opening the bolt when not cocked force might improve and get easier after some use.

pacecars

Mine has.

weagle

When I looked at the TC Compass rifle, I noticed lifting the bolt requires noticeably more force when the rifle is not cocked than when it is cocked. I wonder if opening the bolt when not cocked force might improve and get easier after some use.

When it's not cocked, lifting the bolt is cocking the firing pin spring, so like all "cock on open" bolt actions it will always be harder to open when not cocked than when it has already been cocked. The cocking piece may smooth up with use, and one way to speed it up is to dry fire it a couple of hundred times.

60 degree = less leverage / harder to lift.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't think so...not when 6.5 bullets can have up to a .700 BC

Maybe if you bumped it down to a 6.5-06 :)

Yotedawg

I don't think so...not when 6.5 bullets can have up to a .700 BC

Maybe if you bumped it down to a 6.5-06 :)

My brother built a 6.5-06AI on a remmy action. It is a laser and hits like a hammer. The downside is I'm afraid it's going to have shorter barrel life.

rosewood

It's funny how some new calibers seem to become very popular quickly while practically identical ballistics are seen in existing calibers that don't become popular. For example the 260 Rem has been around for quite a few years but never became very popular while the 6.5 Creedmore seems to have become quite popular in a short time even though ballistics are nearly identical to the 260 Rem. Ammo costs less and more easily found for the Creedmore than for the Rem too.

My thoughts exactly. I like the 260 better because I can make brass from .243 or the like, but the 6.5CM factory is more available and cheaper.:huh:

rosewood

When it's not cocked, lifting the bolt is cocking the firing pin spring, so like all "cock on open" bolt actions it will always be harder to open when not cocked than when it has already been cocked. The cocking piece may smooth up with use, and one way to speed it up is to dry fire it a couple of hundred times.

60 degree = less leverage / harder to lift.

Yep, no free lunches.

bevills1

Doesn’t the 25-06 give the 6.5 a run for its money too?
Actually the 25-06 ballistics are on par with the 270 Win; the 25-06 has about the same velocity with a 120 grain bullet that the 270 Win has with a 130 grain bullet. Both will have flatter trajectory and more energy than the 260 Rem/6.5 Creedmoor due to higher velocity. The 25-06 approaches the 257 Weatherby Mag velocities.

I know all bolt guns are harder to open because the gun is being cocked, but the Compass I looked at required enough force to cock and open bolt that it would not be possible to load and fire a second shot without lowering the rifle from the shoulder, making a fast follow up shot impossible if needed while hunting. FYI a bolt rifle can be uncocked without dry firing simply by closing an open bolt with the trigger depressed.

rosewood

FYI a bolt rifle can be uncocked without dry firing simply by closing an open bolt with the trigger depressed.

You are exactly right. I store all of mine by depressing instead of dry firing. I always wonder why you find all of the bolt guns in gun stores cocked. Even the employees don't seem to realize you can de-cock them without dry firing.

Rosewood

fiddlinduke

I too joined the 6.5 creedmore compass group. Couldnt resist KYgunCos deal :bounce: I,m debating on the scope for it. Right now I'm between a leupold vx3 4.5x14x50 and a vortex viper 6.5x20x50

thoughts on them scopes?
I finally decided on my choice of scope for my 6.5 creedmore. I couldnt resist a great deal DVOR had last week on a vortex viper h-st 6x24x50. rings will be here this week. cant wait to get it out and air out some lead!! Any thoughts on factory ammo for deer hunting?

Klondike

Actually the 25-06 ballistics are on par with the 270 Win; the 25-06 has about the same velocity with a 120 grain bullet that the 270 Win has with a 130 grain bullet. Both will have flatter trajectory and more energy than the 260 Rem/6.5 Creedmoor due to higher velocity. The 25-06 approaches the 257 Weatherby Mag velocities.

I know all bolt guns are harder to open because the gun is being cocked, but the Compass I looked at required enough force to cock and open bolt that it would not be possible to load and fire a second shot without lowering the rifle from the shoulder, making a fast follow up shot impossible if needed while hunting. FYI a bolt rifle can be uncocked without dry firing simply by closing an open bolt with the trigger depressed.

25-06 is an awesome and underappreciated caliber. 25-06 handloads approach 257 weatherby factory but hand loaded 257 weatherby usually has 300FPS over the 25-06.

.25 caliber is starting to get the longer bullets that have come to 6MM (Hornady just launched a 110 gr ELDX .25).

High BC bullets are coming - 257 Roberts, 25-06, and 257 Wby fans will benefit