Point id and info please

Hey everyone, I've been a member here for a while now, but final stumbled upon this section of the board. What an awesome resource! I've read back through about six years worth of posts, and I've got a few points if like for y'all to look at. My family has some property on the South Edisto River in SC. All the points came from about a one acre food plot. I've got several dozen complete points, a gallon bucket full of broken ones and probably a five gallon bucket full of "pressure flakes" off just this one food plot. Anyway, I'll work through these over the next few days, starting with the smaller ones and working up in size. I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Attachments

• KIMG0974.jpg
    KIMG0974.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 435
  • KIMG0970.jpg
    KIMG0970.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 430

dtala

black one looks like a Jacks Reef , Woodland Era point 500-1000AD. Base is a little odd, usually not squared off ears.

tan one is a Bolen/Big Sandy family, Early Archaic 7-9000 years old.

Thanks for the info. The black one is the only one I've got like that, either in size/shape or material. There are several other more of the bolen types, but most are broken.
It's very interesting that these two points were found less than two hundred yards apart but span 6000+ years of time.

Forest Grump

black one looks like a Jacks Reef , Woodland Era point 500-1000AD. Base is a little odd, usually not squared off ears.

tan one is a Bolen/Big Sandy family, Early Archaic 7-9000 years old.

You don't think it's also a Bolen, with the ears broken off? I would have called them both Bolens...

dtala

You don't think it's also a Bolen, with the ears broken off? I would have called them both Bolens...

I thought about that. Peculiar shape of the blade looks more Jacks Reef Pentagonal, but I could be persuaded that the base says Bolen. I actually found a pic of a bolen with the squared off ears after posting.

An in hand look at flaking patterns might say Bolen as well.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm like DTala, the first thing I thought was Jack's Reef. It's an unusual point, and it's also a really unusual material for coastal SC. Looks almost like dacite.

I don't know if this view helps or not. The black one is super thin compared to the other one, and really compared to every other point I've found there. I haven't seen any flakes of that material either.
I've got a couple more different types of points I'd like for y'all to look at. Should I add them here, or start a new thread? There's enough different ones for 2 or 3 more posts.

Attachments

• KIMG0971.jpg
    KIMG0971.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Post 'em up!