Mexico Beach End of June

2degrees

We are going to try Mexico Beach during the end of June. I have a 21 foot center console. I have been around 30 miles out (that was when you could catch snapper). What would you target that time of year? How do you find the dolphin?

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Tarpon are in then.....pull out of the canal and turn right or you can go left for that matter out towards the Cape. But I reckon you are wanting fish to eat....can't help you there, if I am on the water that way in June, it is to catch tarpon.

BDD

ride around looking for weed lines, that's were you can usually find the dolphin, or get the numbers for a wreak or the bridge rubble and troll Stretch 25's and maybe pick up a tuna.

How2fish

We used to troll the buoy line for king mackerel that time of year and I think grouper season is in so I'd try bottom fishing. I fished Mexico Beach for years and we never caught many red snapper but we killed the kings and grouper...miss those days..

Big7

The Oracle
If you want Dolphin look for floating weeds.
If you get on some you can limit out pretty quick.

Dolphin are my favorite saltwater fish! Wahoo and Tuna close second.

Lot of folks on the Atlantic side will float anything
from old doors to tarps with a inner tube or other float
on each corner. Don't take them long to find
the shade in open water.

Troll with pickled Ballyhoo and a chain rig and a
skirt, usually the greens and blues of the dolphin work good.
They are cannibalistic.

Frozen Ballyhoo will do for the chunk bait. Not as tough as pickled
but a good bit cheaper.

Keep one fish in the water until the school is busted.
They will stay with your boat as long as there is a Dolphin in the water.

For artificial bait trolling "No Alibi" lures are the best.
And the smaller ones make good linesides fodder
when you get back. Still stay with the yellows and blues.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=no+ali...370F6651C84DE8843F9A053ABC3230&FORM=QBLH&sp=2

trubluau

You can catch almost anything within 30 miles that time of year

I just got back from Mexico Beach. We ran out 50 miles one day for some stud grouper (red and gag). we trolled in close one day for some kings. Heck I caught my first Hammerhead trolling a blue runner. He was every bit of 8'. Anyway, we didn't see any dolphin this trip but we normally find a bunch of schoolies pretty easily. There will definitely be snapper everywhere. Good Luck

95g atl

I just got back from Mexico Beach. We ran out 50 miles one day for some stud grouper (red and gag). we trolled in close one day for some kings. Heck I caught my first Hammerhead trolling a blue runner. He was every bit of 8'. Anyway, we didn't see any dolphin this trip but we normally find a bunch of schoolies pretty easily. There will definitely be snapper everywhere. Good Luck

nice
pic of hammerhead.

MudDucker

Staff member
Snappa are back in for the weekends.