St. Joe beach fishing

Upatoi Sportsman

We have been here a couple days. I am just fishing off the beach because its just the wife, kids, and me. So far all I have caught are catfish with a few pinfish and small sharks. I have been using fishbites fresh shrimp for bait. We are directly across where the Cape ends. We have one more day, but I was wondering if this is all I should really expect to catch in this area or is there something else I can use to catch any other species. My girls just like when I catch anything, so if this is all we catche we will be good. Thanks

Rabun

Try under the bridge at the canal. During the strong outgoing tide fling a dead shrimp on a short Carolina rig and let it drift along the bottom and hang on. Lots of redfish hang in the current. Use just enough weight to keep it on the bottom but moving with the current. Good luck!

Robust Redhorse

Catch a whiting between the shore and the first sandbar on a piece of shrimp or whatever (10 - 20 feet from shore.)

Cut it in half and put 1/2 of it on a fish finder rig with 24" of wire leader and a 2 oz. pyramid sinker with a 4/0 or larger hook.

Wade out until you reach the first sandbar, then keep wading until you are chest deep.

Cast it as far as you can.

Put the reel in free spool with a clicker, if you have a bait caster.

If you have a spinning reel with a bait runner, do the same thing.

Use a circle hook, and set the drag at about 50% if you don't.

Put the rod in a rod holder on the beach and watch it.

When somethings starts screaming away, set the hook hard several times if using a J-hook. (If using a circle hook, just start reeling without the hookset.)

I have caught decent sharks and sting rays, and think I have hooked tarpon and king mackerel there by doing this.

IMO, mono works better than braid in this application, because of abrasion resistance.

95g atl

Last year at this time (beginning of June) caught tons of whiting and pompano on fish bites. Couple of cats.

We usually go off Balboa street since the house is a few blocks away. You can see the tip of San Blas there so likely the same area as you went.

If you want something bigger do like Redhorse said. Use a whiting as live bait with good hook and hang on. Have to get out between the sand bars. I usually wade out there and get chest deep. Did a kayak once and was a little big hairy getting out w/the waves.

Highland bridge can be great if you cast into the deep area (we usually take the boat and anchor in 15-20 ft water and catch fish like crazy. Hooked onto (what we believe was a shark) with 80 lb braid two years back. Almost pulled my son overboard....and it snapped the line. There are BIG fish / Sharks there.
Pay attention to the currents. Fish the correct tides. I've seen currents that are insane there.

Good luck next time you go out...!

douginga

Last year at this time (beginning of June) caught tons of whiting and pompano on fish bites. Couple of cats.

We usually go off Balboa street since the house is a few blocks away. You can see the tip of San Blas there so likely the same area as you went.

If you want something bigger do like Redhorse said. Use a whiting as live bait with good hook and hang on. Have to get out between the sand bars. I usually wade out there and get chest deep. Did a kayak once and was a little big hairy getting out w/the waves.

Highland bridge can be great if you cast into the deep area (we usually take the boat and anchor in 15-20 ft water and catch fish like crazy. Hooked onto (what we believe was a shark) with 80 lb braid two years back. Almost pulled my son overboard....and it snapped the line. There are BIG fish / Sharks there.
Pay attention to the currents. Fish the correct tides. I've seen currents that are insane there.

Good luck next time you go out...!
Do you have a place on Balboa? I live one street up on Coronado St.