Port st joe without a boat

Dupree

My family is in Mexico Beach until Sunday. My son and I have caught a lot of sharks, catfish, and a bluefish and black drum from the beach, but would like to catch some trout, flounder or reds. We’ve fished a couple of places in the bay with artificials and not had any luck. Also haven’t seen or talked to anyone catching anything. Anyone got any tips for somewhere for us to catch some “desirables” the next day or two?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I haven't been there in a few years, maybe someone can give more detailed info, but from what you describe I would go to St. Andrews Sound.

slow motion

Haven't fished there since before hurricane Michael. Used to be a half hitch on 98. Don't think it opened back up. Used to be a little pavilion you could fish from by the city boat ramp. People fished by the marina back then too. Wade fishing opportunities in the bay along 98 and a few places from the backside of the cape. Lots of kayak fishing if you have access to one. A bit of a drive but there's an old bridge turned into a pier in Eastpoint. Good luck.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I used to catch a fair amount of flounder in the canal around the jettties where it opens into the Bay. Drag a mud minnow or Gulp jig along the bottom.

Dupree

I used to catch a fair amount of flounder in the canal around the jettties where it opens into the Bay. Drag a mud minnow or Gulp jig along the bottom.
I had checked that spot out earlier this week but didn’t want fish from the rocks in crocs. Went yesterday afternoon and didn’t catch anything but saw 2 people catch flounder. Went back before daylight this morning and hung 2 fish that I couldn’t do much with before they ended up coming off. Assuming redfish or black drum. Whatever they were had some weight. Got ran off by thunderstorms after 2 hours of fishing.

hawkeye123

Wade fish at state park..doesn't open til 8 ..saw some Spanish schooling & caught a couple by that pavilion Slow Motion was taking about in May..to the right of new Marina being built by the jetties is a good spot..wade fish rt past pavilion & boat ramp on right..good red & flounder spot