MOST AGGRESSIVE freshwater fish in the world!!

I visited a buddy in south florida this weekend and we had some time to pond hop. These fish were incredibly aggressive as soon as you casted anywhere near their fry it was game on! We had a blast catching 30-40 a day minimum!!

yellowhammer73

Started fishing the canals and lakes they feed in south Florida about 20 years ago. Awesome fish. I've never seen a top water bite like a school of peacocks feeding. My personal best came out of Miami Lakes and he was 6 lbs 10 oz. That fish slammed a black super spook. When those fish go on bed you can Texas rig a tube gig and slay'em.
Glad y'all had a good time.

Cletus T.

I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo want to catch a peacock bass!!!!

And one day I will

Awesome video…….thanks for sharing it with us!

Coenen

Looks like a hoot! How big is a big one down there? At some point I'm going to have to make a little road trip.

yellowhammer73

Looks like a hoot! How big is a big one down there? At some point I'm going to have to make a little road trip.

You get on a 5 pounder and that's a good one.
They have two different species of peacock bass and definitely don't get as big as they do in South America.
I believe back when I first started fishing down there the state record was like 8-10 pounds.
We always caught a mixed bag of fish.
Peacocks
Largemouth
Snook
Oscar
Tarpon
Brackish water all kinds of critters.
Just keep an eye out of the manatees.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I've never caught one State side, but in the late 80's I was stationed at Ft. William D. Davis on Lake Gatun in Panama. We used to go out and drop what would best be described as "crappie minnows" down to just above the weed beds and watch as 15 - 20 pounders would erupt out of the weeds and then "TRY" to get them to the boat on very light tackle. Only ever got 2 to the boat, but man was it fun trying.

The mtn man

I've never caught one State side, but in the late 80's I was stationed at Ft. William D. Davis on Lake Gatun in Panama. We used to go out and drop what would best be described as "crappie minnows" down to just above the weed beds and watch as 15 - 20 pounders would erupt out of the weeds and then "TRY" to get them to the boat on very light tackle. Only ever got 2 to the boat, but man was it fun trying.

I fished for them there too when I was at ft. Clayton. I met a guy from georgia that had married a girl from there, some of her family would take us peacock fishing in there boat, they charged us $10 each for a fully outfitted guided trip. They also took us horseback riding for the same price, those peacock bass are something else. When they decide to eat, they don't play with their food.

lampern

Looks like a lot of fun. The peacock in Florida or not as big as the ones in South America.

They are.

There are several species known as "peacock bass" all native to South America.

The ones in Florida are Cichla Ocellaris.

They are butterfly peacock bass which max out at 10 lbs or so.

TripleXBullies

I have fished for them once in FL with nothing but artificial and it was difficult. They are my favorite FW fish with a lot of sentimental value actually. My dad and I have been waiting on the political situation in Venezuela to calm down to make the trip back to fish for them.

All of that said... they are not the most aggressive fw fish in the world...