Tried to imitate Lanier Jim on Hartwell yesterday

Burton

I bought a couple spybaits and some extra morning dawn roboworms yesterday at lunch. We got on the water around 6:00 p.m. and started drop-shotting with 0 waypoints. I didn't even look for brush piles, but scanned an underwater hump in the 15-25 ft range. We marked a lot of singles and caught a couple that way. Later we found a few fish together and ended up catching 10 with the biggest being a 2 lb largemouth.

I tried casting the spybait into a small school, but I think the 8# mono is too much based on what I've been reading. I don't think I could feel comfortable throwing a $10-15 lure with braid and a 4# leader??? - assuming that is how it is fished most often.

We tried to get something on top-water, but I couldn't stick with it when I didn't see any chasing bait. So anyway, it felt like a success since I'm still practicing on the drop-shot. I imagine it would help if I put some time into setting or marking brush piles.

Thanks to you guys for sharing your experience and methods so some of us can learn from you.

Here's a pic of my FIL hooked into one.

Attachments

• IMG_20170720_184646807.jpg
    IMG_20170720_184646807.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,102

Scout'nStripers

Burton, I'd give that spybait a try on 7lb fluorocarbon loaded on a spinning rig. No braid or leader, just straight flouro. With this clear water here on Lanier you need to size down the line and use a good clean/clear fluorocarbon. I would Imagine Hartwell is pretty clear too right now? I use a 7'3" medium heavy rod to throw it with.

Last edited:

CMH

I caught a LOT of fish last year on Lanier throwing a spybait on 15lb big game. I was just what the rod had on it.

Scout'nStripers

I caught a LOT of fish last year on Lanier throwing a spybait on 15lb big game. I was just what the rod had on it.
What kind of reel were you using CMH? As light as those spybaits are I don't think I could get a decent cast with that size of mono, plus the fact that mono pretty much floats. That's another reason I use the smaller line size flouro, with the light weight of the spybait I need it to get a long cast and the flouro sinks better than mono.

Lanier Jim

First - thanks for the props....I think. :)

I use a medium or Medium Light action Okuma EVX ....6'6" or 7'1"...7# Sunline FC Sniper (which is much stronger than it sounds)....and at times, like in the video Jim shot - I was using Sunline SX1 10# braid with a 8' FC Sniper 7# leader. I use the Albright Knot to connet the two....small and strong knot.

Drop Shot fishing....I use straight 7# FC Sniper but for customers, I will rig up the same 10# SX1 braid with 7# leader...but I tie the knot on the outside of the rod/reel....then reel up until the knot is between the first eye and reel....cut leader at the reel (on outside). This will give you about a 8'-10' flouro leader. I like this because if vertical fishing the drop shot, many times you will be dropping through some suspended fish.

Science says a fishes eyesight is 8 times better than a humans under water....so if we can see 10', they can see 80'. Keeping this in mind, I think (and it's just my opinion) that fish can see braid easily in clear water like Lanier.

Just my two cents - LJ

Lanier Jim

Duo Realis, Storm, Lucky Craft all make spinbaits. I like the Duo and Storm but have heard the Lucky Craft is a pretty solid bait too. Go to Rapala.com....they own several companies including Storm. You can see the spinbait there and very reasonably priced.

Burton

First - thanks for the props....I think. :)

I use a medium or Medium Light action Okuma EVX ....6'6" or 7'1"...7# Sunline FC Sniper (which is much stronger than it sounds)....and at times, like in the video Jim shot - I was using Sunline SX1 10# braid with a 8' FC Sniper 7# leader. I use the Albright Knot to connet the two....small and strong knot.

Drop Shot fishing....I use straight 7# FC Sniper but for customers, I will rig up the same 10# SX1 braid with 7# leader...but I tie the knot on the outside of the rod/reel....then reel up until the knot is between the first eye and reel....cut leader at the reel (on outside). This will give you about a 8'-10' flouro leader. I like this because if vertical fishing the drop shot, many times you will be dropping through some suspended fish.

Science says a fishes eyesight is 8 times better than a humans under water....so if we can see 10', they can see 80'. Keeping this in mind, I think (and it's just my opinion) that fish can see braid easily in clear water like Lanier.

Just my two cents - LJ

Great info, Jim. I bought a lucky craft and a storm for my first attempt(s). I don't think I'm going to throw them away just yet. I looked for the realis, but it wasn't in stock at Cabela's. I just picked up some new FL line, and I'm going back Thursday this week. I'm taking a kid from church with me and hope he can hook into a few.

Lanier Jim

Great info, Jim. I bought a lucky craft and a storm for my first attempt(s). I don't think I'm going to throw them away just yet. I looked for the realis, but it wasn't in stock at Cabela's. I just picked up some new FL line, and I'm going back Thursday this week. I'm taking a kid from church with me and hope he can hook into a few.

I make a Long cast....let it sink a 5-6-7 count (sometimes down to 10) then a medium to slow...to slower retrieve. Today, I had Rory and Danny with me and they got slammed pausing it a second or two.

Good luck - let us know how you do. LJ

Lanier Jim

Yeah...I was desperate for company :) Now those two are characters together....the trash talking started first 30 seconds into the day :)

Burton....don't forget to let me know how you did. LJ