Live oaks

slow motion

Was down in Fl. on a fishing trip and by the self serve ice machine there were quite a few live oak acorns. Thought about @Jim Boyd and his sawtooth trees. Gathered a small handful. Had thought about getting some from the front yard down there as there's a live oak there but never seem to get to it before the're gone. Sorted yesterday. Out of 28, eleven were damaged. 20240316_131123.jpgPut the cracked ones under the bird feeder. Theres now 2 still there and 1 on the ground.20240317_142429.jpg20240317_142519.jpg

Poured the remaining 17 in a glass of water. 10 floated.20240316_131435.jpgSeparated into a second glass of water. By this morning only 4 were sunk of the 7.
20240317_131530.jpg
A couple had sank of the 10 floaters.
20240317_131534.jpg
Planted the original 7 sinkers in some pots I had. The remaining I planted all in a pot where the wife had a yucca that died in the winter. They will be too close if they germinate but not much hope of them being viable which is why i did it. I didn't have any wire to cover the pots and the squirrels eat freely from the bird feeder on the other side of the deck so figured they're in trouble. Had read onions can be a deterrent to squirrels. Decided to give it a try. Worst case, no trees but plenty of green onions. 20240317_133424.jpg20240317_134951.jpg20240317_141210.jpgNow I wait.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I flat love it.

I hope to respectfully resemble that remark.

I try to do the same, Jim. I plant a lot of trees, all native, these days. No invasives. By planting only native trees, I like to think I`m being a good steward of the land. I`m following the lead of Aldo Leopold. We all should.

Jim Boyd

I try to do the same, Jim. I plant a lot of trees, all native, these days. No invasives. By planting only native trees, I like to think I`m being a good steward of the land. I`m following the lead of Aldo Leopold. We all should.

I have planted a good many sawtooths.

I am guessing they are not viewed as favorably.

I am leaning into fruit trees also - apple, pear, peach and plum.

The pear trees, I am not so sure about???? Native?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

The folks in the know are not recommending sawtooth oaks to be planted in the United States any more, because of their habit of spreading fast and displacing native trees.

Apples are from Europe, pears are from the Orient, peach, somewhere in Europe and Asia, couple of the plums are native. But the fruit trees, for the most part are not doing a lot of harm to this ecosystem, it seems. Except for Bradford pears, which is not something hunters plant anyway.

We should all strive to do what we think is best, but first and foremost, we should all take into account that what we do plant will not do harm not only in our time, but in the future as well.

Jim Boyd

Ok Dale - got any good updates?

Jim Boyd

The folks in the know are not recommending sawtooth oaks to be planted in the United States any more, because of their habit of spreading fast and displacing native trees.

Apples are from Europe, pears are from the Orient, peach, somewhere in Europe and Asia, couple of the plums are native. But the fruit trees, for the most part are not doing a lot of harm to this ecosystem, it seems. Except for Bradford pears, which is not something hunters plant anyway.

We should all strive to do what we think is best, but first and foremost, we should all take into account that what we do plant will not do harm not only in our time, but in the future as well.

Well stated Nic and well noted.

This is on me. - but with 250 trees in the ground I am about too far in to stop with the sawtooths now.

Won’t plant any more and want to concentrate on some chestnuts and pear trees in the short term.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler

I’m thinking all those you listed are non native

Jim Boyd

I’m thinking all those you listed are non native

maybe.

I will let others be the crusaders.

Sawtooths sound like they are not a great idea (maybe, again) but I am not troubled by the fruit trees at all.

Last edited:

slow motion

Not sure if the onions are a deterrent or the squirrels just haven't found them but so gar no holes dug in the pots.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've heard tell that laying a moth ball on top of each potted tree will keep squirrels at bay.