Sheephead

Tadpole23

I've heard talk that they are starting to show up some. Is this true I don't want to make a long trip for nothing.

Riplukelee

There are plenty biting on blow downs on the backside of the barrier islands ... but you'll have to sift through some small ones to get a couple nice sized convicts.

Rhodes

Riplukelee, what is your bait of choice for the sheepies? And do you fish a float rig around those blow-downs or do you fish a bottom rig? Then if a bottom rig do you fish it vertically over the top of them or cast to the structure?

Riplukelee

Fiddler crabs is what I use. I fish a 3/4 to 2oz slip sinker on the bottom with a swivel and 12-18" fluorocarbon leader. I use 30 to 40# braid with 20 - 25# leader. I fish as vertical as possible on the down current side of the structure.

Tadpole23

I will be fishing out of my kayak so maybe I can find some close to ramp

Fiddler crabs is what I use. I fish a 3/4 to 2oz slip sinker on the bottom with a swivel and 12-18" fluorocarbon leader. I use 30 to 40# braid with 20 - 25# leader. I fish as vertical as possible on the down current side of the structure.

Where do you find the fids?

Riplukelee

I fish out of Savannah and Richmond Hill so there are a few options. Tybee Bait and Tackle, Bandy's Bait Shop, and Ft. McAllister Marina are generally pretty good about having them around this time of year. Coffee Bluff Marina is my go-to place because they always have them. I prefer to dig them when I can.

WalkinDead

Banned
During the warm part of the day they can be found along Jekyll causeway usually in the grass near the bare sandy areas. If it's windy they will be in their holes.

Scallen2112

There was an old man on one of the old bridge piers going across the Torras causeway today that had some of the biggest sheepies I'd ever seen. Caught them on oysters.