Anybody got a good Brunswick Stew recipe they'd share?

ssramage

I've got a hankering for some Brunswick stew. Never made it at home but I've been wanting to try and think it would be great for an upcoming camping trip meal.

Does anyone have a good recipe that they'd be willing to share?

Mac

I have done larger pots about )10 galloons) of stew a number of times, never use the same ingredients, but similar.

Lots of folks would use stew for a clean out the freezer.

Tip an ole stew pro told me years ago, never grind your meat, cook and pull it apart. I use pork, beef, and chicken for meats, I like to smoke the pork and beef first. Boil the chicken use heavy hens and keep the juices. Tomatoes, onions, peppers and corn are a must, some folks put lots of other veggies, but I don't like it to look like vegetable soup.

IMHO it is a lot of work so when I do it I make a large batch and freeze it for later meals.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I made my 1st batch about a month ago and used this recipe. I smoked a butt and a whole chicken and doubled this recipe. I adjusted the seasoning towards the end and I also added diced potatoes. Everyone loved it and I’ll do it again.

DannyW

I made my 1st batch about a month ago and used this recipe. I smoked a butt and a whole chicken and doubled this recipe. I adjusted the seasoning towards the end and I also added diced potatoes. Everyone loved it and I’ll do it again.

Yep, without even trying it I know that's a good recipe. Very similar to the one I use, just some of the ingredient proportions are different. Plus I add a chopped green bell, some fresh garlic plus a little white vinegar.

It is very forgiving about what vegetables to use. I use corn and limas but have eaten it with potatoes, green beans, and peas.

Like @Mac said, make a big batch and freeze the leftovers. It freezes just about the best of any prepared food. You can freeze it, take it out 2-3 months later, and it will taste like you just made it!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
My Brunswick Stew favorite is from Walker's in Carrollton. I eaten a lot of stew from a lot of recipes over my 72 years. I've never had better than Walker's.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
My Brunswick Stew favorite is from Walker's in Carrollton. I eaten a lot of stew from a lot of recipes over my 72 years. I've never had better than Walker's.
You are 100% correct. It sets the bar as far as I am concerned. Just had a big bowl full at Christmas dinner last night!

Artfuldodger

BRUNSWICK STEW
1 lb pulled pork smoked bbq
4-5 chicken thighs
1 lb ground beef
1 lb 8 oz bag frozen baby butter beans(Lima)
1 lb 8oz bag frozen yellow corn
2 cans crushed tomatoes or one large
1 large onion diced
1/3 cup vinegar BBQ sauce
1/3 cup mustard BBQ sauce
1/4 cup catsup
1-2 TBS Louisiana hot sauce
1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons minced garlic
salt& pepper to taste
3-4 potatoes diced
Boil chicken in 6 cups of water for 45 minutes or until done. Remove meat, debone, & shred. Add the chicken back to broth. Brown ground beef & onion, drain and add to broth, Add pulled pork to broth. Add rest of ingr. Except butter beans, corn & potatoes. Simmer 1 hour and add beans, corn, and potatoes. Simmer 2-3 hours longer.
Optional; ¼ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup vinegar if needed for balance.
Need at least a pound of some type of smoked meat. 3 pounds of meat total, beef, pork, and chicken.

Artfuldodger

I wonder if this is the same as the BBQ restaurant? It looks like the Northeast Georgia type of stew. Someone said Zeb's in Danielsville is cream corn based.
The ingredients list on this container of Walker's list cream corn as the first ingredient. It does look to be the grind kind with some chopped meat added. In that style they mostly grind everything but the tomatoes and corn. This is always a thicker type of stew. Sort of like the hash around Augusta but with cream corn and/or corn replacing the taters.
No BBQ sauce, catsup, or vinegar in this style of stew, just some hot sauce. Some folks will add catsup.
It's got a very big fan base and you can buy that one from Walker Meats, Carrollton in some grocery stores.
1703602902024.jpeg

Last edited:

specialk

Walkers is as good of store bought as there is, their meats are ok as well....

Minner

Vernon Holt had the best Brunswick stew recipe I've ever seen. It was a pain to cook though as you had to stay right by it as it stuck easily. I haven't had any in years though.

Artfuldodger

To grind or not to grind seems to be a question. Reading this;
Brunswick stew ain't stew if you can't make a sandwich.
I grind my BBQ hash but not my stew. And you can't eat my stew on a sandwich, lol. I guess you could my hash but it's better on rice.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Vernon Holt had the best Brunswick stew recipe I've ever seen. It was a pain to cook though as you had to stay right by it as it stuck easily. I haven't had any in years though.

Post #23.

Minner

Post #23.

That's it. Good stuff!

I cut back on the ingredients some as I would never use 6-8 gallons of stew but I still had several big containers worth left over to freeze. And as the recipe posted states, it will stick/burn at the drop of a hat once everything starts cooking so you gotta stay at it for a while.