Stew/ hash help

Artfuldodger

Reading about Zeb's, it sounds different from most Brunswick Stew or Hash, maybe something in between.
Reading this; "they do not call their stew a Brunswick stew; it isn’t."
"This is indeed the only stew I’ve ever eaten made from a creamed corn base. It is utterly unlike anybody else’s, but not for the faint of heart."
I saw only one copycat recipe for their stew and it had pork and beans in it but smash the beans up. Not sure how correct it was because it didn't have any cream corn in it, just frozen regular corn.

Wow! people really went on and on about their stew. Not everyone liked their bbq or slaw but they rave about that stew. I wish I would have got to try it.

This style of stew is popular throughout northeast Georgia from Athens, Danielsville, Royston, Lavonia and north of those parts.
Usually grinding the pork, beef, and chicken. No onions or potatoes or butter beans. Tomatoes, white shoe peg corn, and creamed corn.
Kesler's BBQ in Nicholson, Strickland's BBQ, Harts BBQ no longer around. Harts is Bar-H Royston, North Georgia BBQ Cleveland, Zebs Hull, and Big Oak Commerce has this stew.
It is not filled with Lima beans and bbq sauce. It is fine but thick.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Interesting that looks similar to my Augusta hash recipe but instead of corn, it has taters. Over here we eat it on rice. Not much Brunswick Stew over here.

Traditionally a hog’s head was where the meat came from! If you do this remove the brains, ears, and tongue or it will be bitter
Yep, your recipe looks like what we call BBQ hash just to the west of Augusta as well. A good rendition of it is available at Pea Ridge BBQ in Dearing it appears to be identical to what used to be available at Neal's BBQ in Dearing and does not appear to contain the beef. Neal's in Thomson is very similar except that they use enough beef in theirs to deepen the flavor.

One of my grandfather's methods of raising a little cash back in the 20s & 30s was to BBQ a pig and take it to town on Saturday (market day) to sell along with the extra butter and eggs for my grandmother. I didn't get to try his BBQ but my father described it as nearly identical to that at Pea Ridge today.

Red dirt clod

Art your correct this is not Brunswick stew in the classic way people think of it. This has been served as stew in BBQ restaurants in the northeast part of the state since I was young. Everyone I ate at served it, Zebs was the best though and although I haven’t had it in years I still hope it’s available. We used to buy a gallon and have at Christmas.

Red dirt clod

Art I grind using a Lem #8 dual grind to a fairly fine consistency and I trim most of the excess fat prior to boiling but I don’t ladle the fat off since I usually use it before it cools.
Saw that recipe for Zebs that uses pork and beans years ago but never tried it, just seemed hard to believe.

flatwoods

Zebs is still open. Same place it's always been.
Stew isn't as good as it used to be to me.
Not for everyone. Friend from Waynesboro ate there and hated it.
It's all what you grow up with I guess.
I have eaten BBQ about everywhere. Love trying it all.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Zebs is still open. Same place it's always been.
Stew isn't as good as it used to be to me.
Not for everyone. Friend from Waynesboro ate there and hated it.
It's all what you grow up with I guess.
I have eaten BBQ about everywhere. Love trying it all.
That's the way I am, it might not be the best or what I grew up on. My daughter and me have to try Brunswick Stew no matter what town we are in. Some are great and some are really terrible. We usually just get one bowl and share.
I'm gonna have to try that "stew" if I'm ever passing through those parts.