Stew/ hash help

flatwoods

I know this is a closely guarded family secret for many. I understand that.
I usually make a few gallons of stew every year after Christmas.
Never had a recipe. Sometimes its good, sometimes not as good.
I need to start writing down what I did and keep up with it.
All that said, is there anyone here that has a good recipe that would be willing to share?
If you dont want to post it here, a pm is fine.
I like what many call hash. Just ground meat, corn, tomatoes, etc.
If you are around this area, something like Zeb's or the BBQ Shack in Athens, Bar H etc.

I doubt this will get me anywhere but I thought I'd ask.

flatwoods

I did search several years of posts but came up with very little.
If you have posted your recipe before, I apologize but I missed it.

K80Shooter

How many qts do you make at a time?

K80Shooter

I sent you a 10 qt version in pm. Just double or triple as needed

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Look here:

And here:

And know that a little coffee either instant or very finely ground is usually a good addition but don't overdo it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I know it is sacrilege here but I have a recipe for a Brunswick Stew from canned materials that only requires combining and warming up. It is good enough to fool casual stew eaters and passable for experts in need some stew in a hurry. LOL

I haven't put any together in a long time but will PM the recipe to you if you want it and if I can locate it.

flatwoods

I know it is sacrilege here but I have a recipe for a Brunswick Stew from canned materials that only requires combining and warming up. It is good enough to fool casual stew eaters and passable for experts in need some stew in a hurry. LOL

I haven't put any together in a long time but will PM the recipe to you if you want it and if I can locate it.
Would love to have it! I'm compiling and comparing info.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Thing about Brunswick Stew is folks have their recipes that are handed down over the years and they stick to that exact recipe religiously. Our's (my brothers and our male 1st cousins on one side of the Family do a big batch every Winter and it's coming up soon in February I believe it is this year.

We only do the huge batches like these photos show. We only did 2 Pots last year, but we have done 3 pots the year before last. It depends how much any of the other cousins request.

Here's our recipe, but as you'll see in the pics below we do large batches annually, so I can't really tell you how much to use so you'd have to scale down depending on how much you're cooking.

The Photos show 2 pots last year and that was about 7-8 gallons per pot.

I can't really give the actual proportions of each, one of my 1st cousins does that based on how many pots/gallons were making for all of us and family members that request some.

What I can give you is our ingredients and all the meat and chicken is ground. There's no chunks in ours, that's our method and recipe that's been handed over the years going way back.

There's many versions of Brunswick Stew unfortunately. In other words I could eat someone else's Brunswick Stew and think, "that's not Brunswick stew". And others could eat ours and say the same thing about it.

Sorry for the long post, but this our ingredients....

Chicken Quarters
Pork Loins
Cream corn yellow
Crushed red tomatoes skinless
Butter
Worcestershire to taste
Vinegar to taste
Salt & Black Pepper
and Tomato Juice.

We cook ours very low and slow constantly stirring gently and absolutely never allowing it to scorch/stick. If you do the entire batch is ruined.

Oh, and we have some large commercial pressure cookers for our chicken and pork, makes it much quicker when doing this much.

It's along day of taking turns stirring it. We have a great time telling Lies and reminisicing about all the fun and trouble we got into as young boys back in the day doing stuff we were told not to do. :bounce:

Sorry I'm so late to the thread.

Here's a couple of pics of last years 2 pots......IMG_2996.jpegIMG_2994.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2995.jpeg
    IMG_2995.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 7

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
A lot of variations to it, especially where you go, didn't know that.

Had the NC and VA versions, especially with taters.

flatwoods

Thing about Brunswick Stew is folks have their recipes that are handed down over the years and they stick to that exact recipe religiously. Our's (my brothers and our male 1st cousins on one side of the Family do a big batch every Winter and it's coming up soon in February I believe it is this year.

We only do the huge batches like these photos show. We only did 2 Pots last year, but we have done 3 pots the year before last. It depends how much any of the other cousins request.

Here's our recipe, but as you'll see in the pics below we do large batches annually, so I can't really tell you how much to use so you'd have to scale down depending on how much you're cooking.

The Photos show 2 pots last year and that was about 7-8 gallons per pot.

I can't really give the actual proportions of each, one of my 1st cousins does that based on how many pots/gallons were making for all of us and family members that request some.

What I can give you is our ingredients and all the meat and chicken is ground. There's no chunks in ours, that's our method and recipe that's been handed over the years going way back.

There's many versions of Brunswick Stew unfortunately. In other words I could eat someone else's Brunswick Stew and think, "that's not Brunswick stew". And others could eat ours and say the same thing about it.

Sorry for the long post, but this our ingredients....

Chicken Quarters
Pork Loins
Cream corn yellow
Crushed red tomatoes skinless
Butter
Worcestershire to taste
Vinegar to taste
Salt & Black Pepper
and Tomato Juice.

We cook ours very low and slow constantly stirring gently and absolutely never allowing it to scorch/stick. If you do the entire batch is ruined.

Oh, and we have some large commercial pressure cookers for our chicken and pork, makes it much quicker when doing this much.

It's along day of taking turns stirring it. We have a great time telling Lies and reminisicing about all the fun and trouble we got into as young boys back in the day doing stuff we were told not to do. :bounce:

Sorry I'm so late to the thread.

Here's a couple of pics of last years 2 pots......View attachment 1278008View attachment 1278011
Thank you and not late at all. I hope its just getting started.

flatwoods

Here’s the recipe I have been using for many years, made a batch yesterday. Very similar to Zebs which I think is the best stew I have ever had. Takes most of the day to make. View attachment 1277947
Interesting that this has more beef than most people use. I also love Zebs stew. It's not as good as it used to be though. I was told by someone that they used all beef in their stew so the similarity makes sense.

B. White

I got some in a crockpot now. Pretty good for a quick and easy version.

Artfuldodger

Here’s the recipe I have been using for many years, made a batch yesterday. Very similar to Zebs which I think is the best stew I have ever had. Takes most of the day to make. View attachment 1277947
Interesting that looks similar to my Augusta hash recipe but instead of corn, it has taters. Over here we eat it on rice. Not much Brunswick Stew over here. My recipe originally used tomato juice and not as much broth and catsup, etc. Do you remove the fat from the broth before adding it back in? Also do you chop the meat or grind it coarse? I've seen it done both ways for hash.

This is my recipe that doesn't make nowhere near that much.

In a pressure cooker add about 1” of water to cover the strainer. Add 1 5-6 lb Boston Butt, sliced into 3” chunks/pieces, 5-6 chicken thighs, and 2 lb beef chuck roast, cut up, 6 Potatoes, peeled & cut in half, 1 onion chopped, 3 tsp minced garlic, salt and pepper. Boil 35 minutes at 15 lbs pressure. Let sit until steam pressure is gone. Strain the ingredients, saving the broth. Remove all bones from meat mixture. Grind everything using a meat grinder with a coarse blade. Remove grease/fat from broth. Add ground meat mixture to broth by sprinkling it into the broth and stirring. Start heating it up while doing this. Add ¾ c catsup, ½ c mustard bbq sauce, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, 8 oz tomato sauce, 1-2 tsp hot sauce, black pepper, red pepper, stirring continuously. Add 2 cups chicken broth . Add more broth if needed to thin while simmering. Simmer until thick and tomato taste is gone. Be sure to stir continuously as it will burn real easy. Add ½ stick of butter when finished simmering. Serve over rice. Hash is more fine like than most Brunswick Stews.

Traditionally a hog’s head was where the meat came from! If you do this remove the brains, ears, and tongue or it will be bitter

Artfuldodger

Recipe for a small batch of Brunswick Stew. I think it is a bit chunkier than hash. Plus it needs some smoked meat in it. And usually has more veggies.
You could take any recipe and tweak it. I used to make this with a chuck roast but found ground beef works just as good. You could also boil your pork with your chicken and roast.

BRUNSWICK STEW
1 lb pulled pork smoked bbq
4-5 chicken thighs
1 lb ground beef
1 lb 8 oz bag frozen baby butter beans(Lima)
1 lb 8oz bag frozen yellow corn
2 cans crushed tomatoes or one large
1 large onion diced
1/3 cup vinegar BBQ sauce
1/3 cup mustard BBQ sauce
1/4 cup catsup
1-2 TBS Louisiana hot sauce
1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons minced garlic
salt& pepper to taste
3-4 potatoes diced

Boil chicken in 6 cups of water for 45 minutes or until done. Remove meat, debone, & shred. Add the chicken back to broth. Brown ground beef & onion, drain and add to broth, Add pulled pork to broth. Add rest of ingr. Except butter beans, corn & potatoes. Simmer 1 hour and add beans, corn, and potatoes. Simmer 2-3 hours longer.

Optional; ¼ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup vinegar if needed for balance.

Need at least a pound of some type of smoked meat. 3 pounds of meat total, beef, pork, and chicken.