Marietta chattahoochi where's the trout ?

Coenen

e6dee126783d89cb88bb90ec8d17c1df.jpg

I'm not sure they stock much below Morgan Falls; pretty much anything trout shaped that far South is probably in the belly of a big ol' striper. Head North, above Morgan Falls Dam, and you'll find what you're looking for.

Tmpr111

Interesting. Many say those there are true trout waters (insert opinion here).

You will most likely have better luck starting north of Morgan Falls Dam and going up from there to Buford Dam. There's a park list online with trails etc marked. CHECK THE RELEASE SCHEDULES of Buford Dam to avoid the rising waters - it can be very dangerous.

Coenen

Interesting. Many say those there are true trout waters (insert opinion here).
Do they? I'm super close to Buford Dam, so I'm guilty of not looking too far beyond my own backyard. That could be GREAT trout fishing down there, but if it is, those guys must be keeping a lid on it.

karlfishing

I'm looking in Marietta for a place to stop by after work when I would rather fish then sit in traffic lol. Is under the 41 bridge any good for catfish ?

Coenen

I'm looking in Marietta for a place to stop by after work when I would rather fish then sit in traffic lol. Is under the 41 bridge any good for catfish ?
Doesn't look too bad judging from Google Earth. Get together a stout rig, and some good cut bait, I think you'd have a good shot at getting attached to something respectable.

j_seph

Do they? I'm super close to Buford Dam, so I'm guilty of not looking too far beyond my own backyard. That could be GREAT trout fishing down there, but if it is, those guys must be keeping a lid on it.
If I lived CLOSE to Buford Dam I would trout fish more, just saying

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Coenen

If I lived CLOSE to Buford Dam I would trout fish more, just saying
Haha, What's bad is that I've lived there most of my life and never took advantage of the tailwater until recently. The lake is (obviously) close as well, so that makes it a tough decision depending on what's biting.

fishmonger

The short answer to your questions is: Nowhere near Marietta, at this time of year, is there a good place to fish for trout.

Here a longer explanation:

The water from Buford Dam all the way to Peachtree Creek, just below the Atlanta (and Cobb Co) water treatment plant, is technically and officially trout water, per the fishing regs. The water from about GA400 to Peachtree Creek is marginal trout water, mostly due to too warm water for 1/2 of the year.

But, the DNR has a Special Reg section called the Delayed Harvest, that runs from Sope Creek down to US 41, and it gets stocked every fall, and through the winter, with trout, as the water gets cold enough then to support trout. The DH Regs make this area Catch and Release Only from ~ mid-Nov to mid-May (exact dates vary by year), and the rest of the year they revert back to Hatchery Supported Regs, meaning you can keep up to 8/day, use bait, etc. Many, if not most, years, there are trout to be had after mid-May for a month or so, until the water heats up. Unfortunately for you, the water this year is already too warm for trout, so they are probably all gone, and it would be a waste of time to seek out trout there now.

The tailwater from Buford Dam all the way to the bottom of Island Ford is bona-fide trout water all year long, although the lower section is getting pretty warm this year and is fishing poorly. They used to stock Rainbows and Browns, and then about 10 years ago, after years of anglers reporting lots of natural reproduction of the Brown trout in the river, the DNR stopped stocking Browns (they still stock them in the DH). Did the Browns disappear, NO! So, we now have a self-sustaining population of Brown trout in the Hooch, and there are some very nice specimens caught every year. The state record trout was caught a few years, and it went over 20 lbs, which is no slouch.

There is also an Artificial Only section of the tailwater that runs from the GA20 bridge down to the boat ramp just above the GA141 bridge, so if you head up-stream, make sure you know the regs where you plan to fish.

The Buford tailwater is also arguably the southern-most trout water in the US, and is 1 of only 3 trout rivers that run through a city of more than 1,000,000 people, in the world, the others being Calgary Canada, and Frankfurt Germany (I think).

There are other things to fish for in the Hooch near Marietta, including 4 or 5 species of bass, catfish, bream, carp, etc. Having said that, this year looks to be an exceptionally bad year for river fishing near you, due to the mild winter (lots of weedbeds sending lots of loose weeds into the water column), and the very low flows due to trying to conserve the water in Lanier.

Best of luck out there.

FM

Tarpfisher

fishmonger nailed it...

There are tons of trout at the paces ferry park off 41, but only in the winter months. Most them them now have become bait.

Zlbauman

Not sure where your commute takes you @Karlfishing but if you are looking for Trout Island Ford is usually a pretty safe bet.