Boat size

mossyoakpro

Okay gents,

I have decided to give up on turkey hunting and start back to fishing....I am by no means new to fishing but am somewhat new to saltwater fishing.

I have taken some trips to Keaton and Steinhatchee with friends and the occasional offshore guide excursion but other than that I have no knowledge of saltwater fishing other than it's a lot of fun and it will surely be more fun than wandering around listening for turkeys that do not exist anymore.:banginghe

Anyway, my question is: What would be considered the smallest size boat to take the occasional trip to the deeper water for some snapper, grouper and such? Most of my fishing will be in the grass flats for trout, redfish and flounder but the ability to venture out on occasion would be nice.

PS- I know a lot has to do with water conditions so just give me your opinions on perfect conditions....I would not want to venture out in bad seas anyway :D

Thanks in advance!!!

swamp hunter

18 ft' Pathfinder Bay Boat. Decent inshore and a heavy enough hull to handle some slop when needed . We run one out of Marco Island offshore to 15 miles in good seas....our grouper and snapper are closer in than the Big Bend , so there's that.

I would say 24'. I fished a 20' for a short while but after a few bad days offshore I knew I needed a bigger boat.
Watch out for the offshore bug. I still have it after 20 years and it does not seem to be going away.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
It doesn't matter what size the boat is.
The farther offshore you get, the smaller the boat gets.
;)
A 24 footer, 30 miles out, can seem the size of a postage stamp at times.

ryanh487

Problem with the ocean is that it can go from perfect to bad a lot faster than you can get your boat back to the marina. Don't buy for the best case scenario, buy the minimum to get home safe in the event of a worst case scenario. You could take a kayak 30 miles out on prefect water, but it wouldn't last very long at the slightest change.

Redbow

O' Lord thy Sea is so great,,,and my boat is so small...Had a friend who fished up to 30 miles offshore with a deep Vee 19 footer for years..Me, well I like something 23 feet or bigger, especially when the Seas start building..Buy the biggest boat you can afford for going offshore, you won't regret it..

Rabun

I had a 19' sea pro bay boat that I was reluctant to take offshore...just getting through the pass in ideal weather could be dicey depending on tides. I upgraded to a 24.5 bay boat and am much more comfortable going out in that. I've only had it for a year, but last season we cleaned up on snapper off of cape sanblas. If you're going to be mostly inshore fishing with occasional offshore, the bay boat design is ideal. Would recommend a trolling motor with spot lock...my anchoring skills are pretty much non-existent.

glumpkin

I currently have a 23' Sea Pro that I will take out on decent days. About 12 miles out from Jekyll is as far as I feel comfortable going. However, I will go out a little further when I fish the flats around Keaton Beach. Works great for fishing the flats!

mossyoakpro

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I was thinking of getting something in the 20-22 foot range for the room to fish a few folks without feeling cramped or getting hooks in places they don't belong. Like I said it will mostly be for inshore but if the chance arises to hit the high seas it would nice to feel I have enough boat.

Been eye balling the Frontier 21 footer....looks like a great boat that will not break the bank.

Thanks again!!!

grouper throat

We like to have capsize in a 21 ft as a teenager in a small storm abot 17 miles out trying to come in, nothing to the storm but the gulf will fool you. The boat rolled over the wave wrong in 5-6 footers and didn't have the power to pull out the correct way. I asked God to spare us and I'd never do something that foolish again.

I wouldn't go out there in less than a 25 ft real offshore boat (sides best come up 3 ft+) with an experienced captain who knows what they are doing. Too many inexperienced people die out there not knowing what to do no matter what the boat size.

Rich M

A lot comes from picking your days - I run a 17 and will go 15-20 miles for mahi, kings, bottom fish... I wait for a trend of calm weather and go. Won't go if the wind is scheduled to pick up the next day, but if it is supposed to be just as calm the next day or two, will have at it.

Boating skills have a lot to do with it - I grew up fishing the rips around Long Island and Montauk. Goes from flat calm to 6-8 ft seas with the change of the tide.

Anyway - learn how to run the boat in the waves. Don't be like folks who get stuck sideways in the troughs - that's a bad place to be.

How big was that boat the football player flipped in the Gulf? It aint the arrow it is the Indian.

Now, if I was getting a boat to play offshore it would be 25 ft and have double 250 or 300 hp on it.
A buddy of mine has a 22.5 CC with a 200 on it and she works fine wherever we want to go.
Since I can't afford either of those, I have a 17 bay boat with a 55 on it and pick my days. 10 to 15 miles is well within reach of my boat and most boats 18 ft plus.

You are limited by budget, towing capacity, and feeding the motors. Towing capacity has usually been my enemy as I'm not buying a bigger truck just to go fishing.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Get yourself a good 19 to 21 ft. bay boat and fish inshore.

You will get much more use out of one and when the urge to go offshore strikes get a charter.

You will catch more fish, have more fun and spend less money.

In reality there is no such thing as inshore/offshore boat. they are two different animals. You need to really know how to handle a boat offshore and that experience is hard to come by making a couple of trips per year.

swamp hunter

Any boat is a compromise...
I've been in 30 ft' seas in a 21 ft. boat..rollers in the Stream.
As someone said , the size of your boat starts to shrink the further you get offshore. Ran a 17 Whaler 47 miles to Bimini once..ahh to be young and foolish.
If your mostly inshore just get a bay boat and pick your days offshore..pick them well, but you can do it in a bay boat.

flingin1

Any boat is a compromise...
I've been in 30 ft' seas in a 21 ft. boat..rollers in the Stream.
As someone said , the size of your boat starts to shrink the further you get offshore. Ran a 17 Whaler 47 miles to Bimini once..ahh to be young and foolish.
If your mostly inshore just get a bay boat and pick your days offshore..pick them well, but you can do it in a bay boat.

30ft seas in a 21ft? That's crazy and I want no part of that. Where did you get caught up in 30ft ers?

mossyoakpro

Thanks for the replies folks!!

I'll take everyone's advice and just get a bay boat and spend my time in the skinny water.

Thanks again!!

swamp hunter

30ft seas in a 21ft? That's crazy and I want no part of that. Where did you get caught up in 30ft ers?

Gulf Stream off Miami.
Giant Rollers coming in from the North , Good thing they weren't Breaking or I 'd not be sitting here right now...way Cool riding them.

brriner

The bay boat will be your best option for being able to fish shallow and go out on the good days. I've owned and 19 footer and a 25 footer. Both have been offshore. As far as 15 miles in the 19 footer and 35+ on the big boat. The difference between them was how skinny I could fish in the small boat, and how much better I felt in 2+ footers with the big boat.

I could float and run in 3 feet with the big boat but could get downright shallow in the smaller one. Running through the pass at Carrabelle, I learned very quickly whether it was going to be an offshore day or not regardless of which boat I was in. The boats would take a lot more abuse than I was willing to.

Summer thunderstorms scared me to death. I always tried to be back in sight of land by 1:30 or 2:00 so I could beat them in. Never did get caught offshore in one, but heard stories from friends and I'm very thankful I only heard about it and never had to experience it first hand.

I've had my fishing line lift out of the water and sizzle a couple of times inshore and that was when I turned tail and got the heck out of Dodge.

swamp hunter

Brother..I could tell you stories bout that Lightning...boy could I.
No place for a Sane Man....