Septic and pump questions for new construction

TJay

We are building a house (ranch on a basement) and really want the septic tank and lines to be on the basement side of the house so we don't have to have a pump. We've had the soil guy out twice. The land percs better in the front but I'm pretty sure that would entail having lines under the driveway and also a pump. The soil guy did some tests from where the basement will open at and while it's not as good as the front he said it would work. When we got the septic permit they county showed everything in the front. We are supposed to meat with the county and we're also trying to get the soil guy out again to drill more holes. My question, is having or not having a pump a big deal? And what about the lines under the drive? Our son had to have a pump installed (post construction) and it has caused problems and that's why we're stressing on the pump issue. Thanks!

Jeff Raines

Pumps fail
Mine did and the water started running out on the "entry" side of the tank.
I took all the gray water off of the septic tank and run pipes out to drainage ditch in backyard.I pile leaves on top of that and the chickens scratch through it for bugs and worms.
The black water that seeps out of tank now drips into a catch basin I installed then piped into original field lines

Pumps fail
Mine did and the water started running out on the "entry" side of the tank.
I took all the gray water off of the septic tank and run pipes out to drainage ditch in backyard.I pile leaves on top of that and the chickens scratch through it for bugs and worms.
The black water that seeps out of tank now drips into a catch basin I installed then piped into original field lines
Nasty Nasty thing to change a lift station or septic tank pump. A submersible chopper pump life span is about 12 years. Most of the time its less.

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
if you can avoid a pump, do it. Pumps fail, gravity doesn't

Lukikus2

Pumps are only a last resort deal. Even if the soil doesn't perk as good in the back it's a better option. Are you putting in infiltrator units? They are the best. It would be cheaper in the long run to put in more drain field than code calls for up front than a pump. Have your plumber route the washing machine line so you can easily put it on a separate drain by itself also.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
The pump will only be for the basement, right? The upstairs should not require a pump. The basement bath won't be used that much will it? If so, I would think a pump should last at least 12-15 yrs.

DCHunter

The pump will only be for the basement, right? The upstairs should not require a pump. The basement bath won't be used that much will it? If so, I would think a pump should last at least 12-15 yrs.

I believe the pump would be needed to pump from the tank to the lines.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We are building a house (ranch on a basement) and really want the septic tank and lines to be on the basement side of the house so we don't have to have a pump. We've had the soil guy out twice. The land percs better in the front but I'm pretty sure that would entail having lines under the driveway and also a pump. The soil guy did some tests from where the basement will open at and while it's not as good as the front he said it would work. When we got the septic permit they county showed everything in the front. We are supposed to meat with the county and we're also trying to get the soil guy out again to drill more holes. My question, is having or not having a pump a big deal? And what about the lines under the drive? Our son had to have a pump installed (post construction) and it has caused problems and that's why we're stressing on the pump issue. Thanks!

One thing you need to assure happens is that they install a riser with cover over your tank(s) for easy access in the future.

Are you going to have a bath or other drains in the basement, or only from the upstairs level?

Are they talking a conventional septic tank plus a pump tank? A picture of your proposed layout may help us understand.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
it's a downer to be commited to a lot or a house then be told by the county or the septic man that your tile field is up the hill. Pumps are pumps. You can have an alarm on them to know when they're failing, notifying you to stop using your plumbing before your big problem becomes a disaster. I would try to go down the hill if at all possible, but you may be told by the county that you can't. One person suggested have "extra" done to your field lines. it was not a bad suggestion. maybe a h.p. upgrade on the pump it's self is something to consider. Float switches can fail. check valves can fail. Motor can fail. stuff to watch out for.

tree cutter 08

I would avoid a pump if at all possible. I would go round and round with them before I put in a pump. If soil man says its OK, then that should be good enough for the county since they want the opinion of a soil man to start with.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
a friend of mine just had a pump fail. The pit filled, and the water and carp backed up into his basement, which had carpet. He bought the house this way, not his idea.

The junk flooded everything in the basement. The last time I talked with him, the repair estimate was in excess of 40k, and his insurance company will probably be dropping him after they settle.

Don't put in a pump.

If you have to go with a pump I would put a a float alarm on it. It would be cheap to do this and it might save you allot of trouble.

TJay

I spoke with the builder on Thurs and we're not going to need a pump or anything like that. He met with the environmental guy at the property and the lines are going to be run the way we wanted them to be, no pump or anything like that. We may have to get the soil guy out again to dig a few more holes but I think we are good to go. Thanks to everyone for the input!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I installed a septic system in an area that was slightly up hill at about half the distance of the field line. I could've gone downhill all the way, but didn't want my field line in that direction due to root damage to a majestic Pecan tree.

My soil guy said that the direction I desired perked, but not as well. I went with it anyway and added 50' of field line. I also went with a over sized septic tank @ t1500 gal. No pump was ever required, but I ran it where I wanted it and it passed inspection by the Co. Health Dept. At the final inspection, the inspector did tell me I was right at the maximum depth of field line with that added 50' as it fell for 250'. I was just under 8' deep at the end of the field.

This was 16 years ago, things have probably changed since then though.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I spoke with the builder on Thurs and we're not going to need a pump or anything like that. He met with the environmental guy at the property and the lines are going to be run the way we wanted them to be, no pump or anything like that. We may have to get the soil guy out again to dig a few more holes but I think we are good to go. Thanks to everyone for the input!

Good news!

TJay

Thanks Jeff! I think some of the problem arose from where we are building on the lot. It is a little over nine acres kind of a long rectangle. The land lays really well but towards the back (where we are building) there is a considerable drop to a creek. There's plenty of drop but I want to make sure we have plenty of field line too. They started cutting the driveway Thursday and may have started clearing where the house goes I'll check today. We will probably have close to 600' of driveway ($$$) but it will be worth it to get to where the house will be. The front of the lot starts out with some mature pine and then transitions to mature hardwood where we are building. Several chestnut oaks along with white oak and hickory. Since this will probably be our last house we are being pretty persnickety on everything. I may have to start a separate construction thread once we get a little further along!