Walmart chestnut and persimmon trees

lampern

Anybody have any experience with the Chestnut Hill Outdoors food plot trees sold at Walmart and farm stores?

Thanks

Forest Grump

They are the same. They made a deal with Walmart to sell their trees, & now nurseries really can't compete to buy them, so either you buy them direct or via Walmart.

Chestnut Hill nursery in Alachua, FL has the patent on Dunstan Chestnuts. They produce all of them, & choose who they sell each year's stock to.

Trigabby

I've got two in the ground that I've nursed back to health over the last three years. They were on clearance, in the corner, for $15 a piece, I think and were a wee bit sickly looking. Brought them home, repotted to a 5 or 7 gallon, can't remember and then planted them that winter. They've almost doubled in size and are looking very healthy, now... I can't wait for them to start producing.

Buckman18

Does anyone know of a walmart that is currently selling them? I keep looking but never see them up here in the mountains.

ucfireman

I bought 4 last year, 1 died fast, 1 didn't leaf out this spring, 1 is struggling and 1 looks good. The Japanese beetles love them!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not on any moral high horse myself. I planted two chestnuts and a deer magnet persimmon from Walmart this spring.

Kootie

Loganville Walmart had 50+ of the chestnut trees and several persimmon. I bought and planted 10 chestnuts and 4 persimmon. Went back a couple of weeks later and they had chestnuts 50% off so I bought 10 more.
Persimmons are doing very good...even producing very large fruit. Chestnut trees were doing good until the deer found them. They ate most of the leaves and even broke branches...any new growth that appears the deer are on it! I plan to protect them with cages of some sort.

ucfireman

Loganville Walmart had 50+ of the chestnut trees and several persimmon. I bought and planted 10 chestnuts and 4 persimmon. Went back a couple of weeks later and they had chestnuts 50% off so I bought 10 more.
Persimmons are doing very good...even producing very large fruit. Chestnut trees were doing good until the deer found them. They ate most of the leaves and even broke branches...any new growth that appears the deer are on it! I plan to protect them with cages of some sort.

I was there Sunday and there weren't any left, that I saw. This is where I bought mine last year.