Sandy creek park.

HardcoreTJ

How in the world do you catch fish here??? The only time I ever catch any thing is with night crawlers. I have a canoe.

Last edited:

Fletch_W

Banned
Besides using stink baits for catfish, standing on the bank, I've also caught jack-.... from my boat there. I did one into run guy, one time, flyfishing from his boat and he had some nice bluegill, and by "nice" I mean big, and by "some", I mean 30 or so. A friend and I had been fishing all day with red wigglers on a cork, on the bottom, in coves, on structure, caught one little one. When I pulled up to this guy, I was blown away. But as far as bass, I can't help you there.

bow_hunter125

If you're wanting to know about bass fishing on the lake, I can definitely help you out. First of all it can be tough. Don't worry about fishing behind people cause you are going to. I catch fish behind people on that lake all the time. It's a numbers lake, however the fish in my avatar came from Sandy Creek. Worms and crankbaits produce the best for me year round, but a jig might be a good option to try to get through all the little ones. Stick with natural colors and in muddy water, bright colored crankbaits produce. Most people make the mistake (IMO) of going up away from the dam. The upper half of the lake away from the dam can be good in the dead of winter, but I try to avoid it because it usually produces the smallest fish for me. I almost always stay on the lower half of the lake. Just fish the places that you think will hold fish and I promise you they are there. You just have to work at it. Good luck and pm me if you have any questions!

GoldDot40

I fished Sandy Creek this past Sunday. I caught a ton of dinks. They were all pretty shallow. I was throwing a T-rigged 4" Zoom Finesse worm in a green pumpkin color. I probably could have done better with more time. I got there about mid-afternoon and fished till about 6:30 (the park closes at 7:pM this time of year)

There was a father/son who trolled by and said they had a 'at least a 10lber' break his 20lbs line earlier. They were throwing crankbaits. Who knows whether or not they did or didn't......but I know there are some good fish in there. They can be picky though.

HardcoreTJ

Thanks for the imput guys. I went yesterday and caught 2 small bass on a bright orange rattle trap and a big catfish on a night crawler on the upper end of the lake. Ill go back tues and try the lower end.

bow_hunter125

Thanks for the imput guys. I went yesterday and caught 2 small bass on a bright orange rattle trap and a big catfish on a night crawler on the upper end of the lake. Ill go back tues and try the lower end.

There was a 30 lb catfish caught out of the upper end last year. They have pics of it at the guard house.

GaDawg213

Sandy creek bass fishing

I know this is an old thread but just wondering if anybody has been to sandy creek bass fishing lately? Got a little Jon boat tourney coming up.

WERA39

It looks like Sandy Creek eventually meets the Oconee. Are there carp in the lake? How's the access for bank fishing?

according to the Sandy Creek website, there are grass carp in the lake, they put them there to control the growth, and ask that if they are caught, to please release them.

needmotime2fish

according to the Sandy Creek website, there are grass carp in the lake, they put them there to control the growth, and ask that if they are caught, to please release them.

Thanks for the reply!!! Unless I'm catching a few crappie for the fryer, I'm a 100% catch-and-release guy, so that wouldn't bother me at all.
HOWEVER, I'm more interested to find out if there are "common" carp in the lake. Since the lake appears to be fed by the Oconee, they should be in there, but I'd like to know for sure. Also, how's the access for bank fishing?

Andy O

No idea about carp, but the bank access is excellent. Pretty much all the way around the lake except the dam and the beach, which are no bank fishing zones.

Andy O

I fished it when the water temps were in the middle 40°range. Lost a giant near the dam. I fished it again when the water warmed up a little and caught a few smaller ones.

akmadman

Fished it 28 March caught 6 largemouth in the 1 to 2 lb range. Fished 3 April threw 4 small largemouth (9"-11") back.

Also, for you bank fishermen, there are three new fishing piers at Sandy Creek.

GaDawg213

If you're wanting to know about bass fishing on the lake, I can definitely help you out. First of all it can be tough. Don't worry about fishing behind people cause you are going to. I catch fish behind people on that lake all the time. It's a numbers lake, however the fish in my avatar came from Sandy Creek. Worms and crankbaits produce the best for me year round, but a jig might be a good option to try to get through all the little ones. Stick with natural colors and in muddy water, bright colored crankbaits produce. Most people make the mistake (IMO) of going up away from the dam. The upper half of the lake away from the dam can be good in the dead of winter, but I try to avoid it because it usually produces the smallest fish for me. I almost always stay on the lower half of the lake. Just fish the places that you think will hold fish and I promise you they are there. You just have to work at it. Good luck and pm me if you have any questions![/QUOT
If you're wanting to know about bass fishing on the lake, I can definitely help you out. First of all it can be tough. Don't worry about fishing behind people cause you are going to. I catch fish behind people on that lake all the time. It's a numbers lake, however the fish in my avatar came from Sandy Creek. Worms and crankbaits produce the best for me year round, but a jig might be a good option to try to get through all the little ones. Stick with natural colors and in muddy water, bright colored crankbaits produce. Most people make the mistake (IMO) of going up away from the dam. The upper half of the lake away from the dam can be good in the dead of winter, but I try to avoid it because it usually produces the smallest fish for me. I almost always stay on the lower half of the lake. Just fish the places that you think will hold fish and I promise you they are there. You just have to work at it. Good luck and pm me if you have any questions!
Have you ever fished it in February? Little tourney in 2 weeks should i stay near the dam offshore or beat the bank?

boatbuilder

Used to fish it a lot. I haven’t fished in in 15 years but

Smaller Buzz baits and plastic worms did the trick for me there.

Always did better fishing out of a canoe on that lake.