Big Swimbaits

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Does anybody here fish a big swimbait for bass? Any gear or tips you can recommend? I just got my Huddleston 68 special in the mail and I'm thinking of getting 2 more and keeping a swimbait rod on hand for the big ones this winter.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Also, I'm starting with the 68 because I think it's a good starter swimbait as it has plenty of thump and it's not TOO big where I feel uncomfortable with it.

Coenen

Where's Cletus T. when you need him? Shoot him a PM.

Gordon

68 Special is not a Big Swimbait:) Tips I can give you, based on my own experience - take only your swimbait rod, so you are forced to fish it. Points, Humps, Ledges. Fish deep to shallow, up slopes, position your boat near the bank, parralell down into deeper water. As we move into cooler weather, fish slow, then slower still. Bill Seimentals Big Bass Zone book on Swimbaiting, is a good read too.

A 68 special is a great bait, but it's one that you can throw with a normal XH if need be. Just make sure you've got enough backbone to set that jig hook. I throw 68s on 20# fluorocarbon, but everyone has a diffrent preference.

61BelAir

Apologies to Jeremiah if I'm hijacking, but I'm pretty sure you'd like to know too - -

I'd love to hear what you guys that are throwing these have been catching? I'm not looking for where....what size and how many. I'm just curious how many big bass are caught on these BIG baits here in Georgia.

GAHunterr

I throw 6'' hudds some and they are great. A couple of things I like about my setup, 1.) I use a 7'6 Heavy swimbait rod. It's a powell nuisance and I love it. Not a gigantic rod, but it works very well. It is heavy enough to handle the 2-3 oz. swimbaits, but it's soft enough to get good hooksets and fight the fish 2.) I use 20 lb line because these swimbait can entice some large bites. And if you're using that size of line, you need a reel that can hold a decent amount of line or else you will find yourself casting out all the line your spool can hold 3.) When you do get a bite, set the hook hard, and don't stop reeling. You want to get the fish in the boat or on land as quick as possible because the longer that fish is in the water fighting, the higher chance it has of spitting the lure 4.) Make sure you tie a very good knot. I have not done it yet, but a bad knot can cause you to lose the biggest fish of your life, or lose a $25 bait.

Like someone said above, Take only the swimbait with you to the lake. It forces you to fish it. If you have other lure with you, you will toss them because you are not going to get more than 2 or 3 bites on a huddleston. Dedicate yourself to catching fish on the hudd because when you do, you will not want to put it down. Good luck!

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
What colors of swimbaits are best? I bought green shad and a black shad to imitate the big gizzards in the lake even though it's very stained lately

BluFish

I would suggest you watch some Videos by some guys known as Tactical Bassin on Youtube. They have LOTS of Info and they throw the Huddleston. I started throwing the River2Sea S Waver because of their videos and after catching (3) nice fish....I have caught the bug. They list Rods, Reels, Lures and Colors with each video. I like the idea suggested by others of taking Nothing else on a trip....to force you to learn.

Teh Wicked

I got a 4" Herring from Live Target, I have had a couple hits on it but never hooked anything, im expecting that to change soon with this top water bite approaching.