What trees were old timey Barns in GA made of?

Curious about the history of old school barns around rural GA. What trees and timber did the Georgia pioneers use?

Who's familiar?

Jeff Raines

I'd say whatever trees were growing on or near the property and from what I've read,back before the blight,1 of every 4 trees in appalachians were chestnuts.
Down around the swamps they may have used cypress

NOYDB

BANNED
Chestnut boards were tough, sturdy and long lasting (and good looking). They still recover chestnut logs from the bottom of rivers when they can.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Depends on where you are in Ga. almost everything was built with old growth pine in my area. If you’re lucky you can find some cypress that was used as warehouse flooring.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Depends on where you are in Ga. almost everything was built with old growth pine in my area. If you’re lucky you can find some cypress that was used as warehouse flooring.

Yep.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
A lot in South Tenn and North Bama was white oak. They lasted decades if not longer.

Yep, worked with some horses back in the late 70's and the barn was a granite knee wall base with oak beams and pine board and batten. Those beams were so old you couldn't drive a nail in them. It was like trying to drive a nail into concrete.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Down here in South Georgia and North Florida pine was used mostly, and some cypress.

BDD

My house is 164 years old, house and what was originally a stable are all pine.
Floor boards are 6 inch t&g, 16 feet long. The guy that built it had money, he owned Stars
Mill and all the land between the Mill and Senoia.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In the mountainous parts of NGA, I'd say similar to here-chestnut, oak, hemlock.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
From what I have seen in E Central Ga. and W Central Alabama, heart pine was the prominent lumber, except for where heavy loads were encountered and oak was used. The Stable my great, great grandfather built still stands, all pine, post and beam construction. I don't know how old it is, I am 59.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
From the fall line south Pine was probably the most prevalent wood.

7Mag Hunter

I helped tear down an old barn in Paulding County and it had a
variety of wood...Some main support beams and studs were Oak
and the wide boards in the loft were pine and poplar....I salvaged enough
wide boards ( pine) to make an 8 ft Barnwood table for the wife...11 1/2
and 12" wide...None were square or the same width along the
length of the board...
.You can still see the circular saw marks from
the sawmill....Barn was known to be 100 yrs old....

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
up in this area plum up to the NC/TN line was mostly chestnut.

those timbers resawn now brings big bucks.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Down South mostly heart pine/pine and cypress.

Tore down a 50 or so year old sheep pen/shelter at my place a few years back and all the upright posts were all squared off heart pine (lighter) and the boards were a combo of pine and poplar.

Split up all the lighter wood, saved a bunch for me and gave a bunch away.

basstrkr

Barn Lumber

Just to add a little information. In central and south Ga "heart Pine" was tress that grew in wet areas sometimes called "creek pines". Probably were slash or long leaf. The growth rings were close together and most of the boards turned to lightered after installed. The trees were straight and boards 16 to 18 wide were fairly common.