How old were your kids when you introduced them to hunting?

Farm Club

I have two boys all grown up now, we started going to the woods when they each got to 4 years old. When they got old enough We took the hunter education course together. One morning I put my oldest in a ladder stand and climbed a tree not far away. Later on I climbed down and went to his stand to get him, asked if he saw anything he said about sunrise something came down a firebreak but he could not make it out, thought it might be me. That was a proud moment for me, I knew he got how to be a safe hunter. They both have taken good bucks and enjoy hunting and fishing today. I guess the best advice I could give is don't make hunting a chore and enjoy your time with them in the field. Sometimes when you and your child are looking out over a food plot the Lord may send you a memory that will never be forgotten.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I introduced my daughter to the outdoors at a very young age . She’s been in a deer stand since she could climb a ladder . Watched me shoot several and I just kinda let her decide when she wanted to do the shooting . And she’s always had free range to shoot anything she wanted , just like I had when I was a kid . I wouldn’t get all hung up on a trophy buck with a kid . I think some would lose interest pretty quick . Honestly I’d make it much more about managing the herd and eating the meat than I would about antlers for any kid .
And I’m a pretty strict trophy hunter . Hope y’all enjoy this season and many more together . Nothing like seeing kids in the outdoors

Core Lokt

Don't remember their age but both girls were young when I started taking them with me. Started practicing with a BB gun, then 22 then 243. My youngest was 9 when she killed her first deer and the oldest was 11. They both have killed several deer and ducks. They are now 24 and 26.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
My son started sitting with me when he was 3. Killed his first buck with me at 5. He’s 7 now and has killed 3 bucks and a couple does.

basshappy

BANNED
My boy was with me from 6 months on in the woods. He was crawlin' around in the woods along the Hootch as I snapped photos, beside me fishing, and was handing me the net at 10 months when he started walking.

As noted you know your kid better than anyone. You'll know the right time. You'll know to what exposure and involvement.

If your kid is under 8 then I strongly advocate that your exact plans / route are laid out to another adult so that if anything happens to you that kid has a great chance of being safe as quick as possible. That always bugged me and was (is) on my mind. If something happens to me.how is my boy going to fare? When he was 1 and 2 etc it was a major concern. Now he is 11 he is much more equipped to handle himself in that emergency time. So if you have a real youngin' definitely work on smart, calm, survival steps.