I have bats!!!!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I've got bats living in my attic. I left a little late this morning and they were swarming to get in right at daylight. There coming in where the eave meets the steeper roof. My question is how do I get them out before I block the hole? Will they ALL come out after dark? I can get up there with some spray foam and close the hole. I just don't want to trap any inside. Any suggestions?image.jpg

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
They should all be after dark. I`d wait till then to seal up the entrance. I would make double sure see to that they couldn`t get back in. If one or two are trapped inside I wouldn`t worry about it. Chances are you have a real mess in there. I took over 30 out of my BIL attic at one time several years ago.

Of course you know not to let one bite or scratch you, and for sure don`t breath any of the dust residue that they have left behind.

Hunt&Fish

One Way Bat TRap

Last time I had bats I called my pest guy.He installed a trap across the hole they were using for access. The trap would let them out but not in. After they were gone he removed the trap and patched the hole.
Trutech 770-977-2034

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Last time I had bats I called my pest guy.He installed a trap across the hole they were using for access. The trap would let them out but not in. After they were gone he removed the trap and patched the hole.
Trutech 770-977-2034

Just had to have this done myself.

Bats do not all leave at dusk and from reading they come back several times during the night so at no time will they all be out of the attic at the same time. Unfortunately it is professional time I am afraid.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Friend of mine had to cut a hole in his ceiling to access the bats in his attic. He caught them with a pair of those pine cone grabbers. Did it during daylight hours and it took him 3 days to get them all. He would place them in a bucket with a lid and carry them to the country. Caught over 50.

3ringer

Bats hate bleach. Spray some bleach on them and seal up the hole with spray foam. Place a couple of bat boxes around your yard. Maybe they won't try to come back.

fixitfred

Just out of curiosity how's the 'skeeters out there? Bats are supposed to eat mosquitoes, some thousands per hour.

You may want to consider making or getting bat houses so they have their own place to live after you evict them.

Big7

The Oracle
Mothballs.. ;)
Get a few bags of them and put up there with a small fan to blow the chemical around. All of about three days. Done deal.

Then go to Tractor Supply or wherever and get you a few bat houses to hang on trees, out buildings, etc..

They are good to have around.. Just not in the attic..

Last edited:

Jim Baker

Staff member
Put some floodlights in your attic. Then get some cheese cloth or nylon screen material. Use some good duct tape and tape the cheese cloth loosely around entry point letting it drape down.

Leave it up for a few days. The bats will fly out and hit the cheese cloth and fall down. When they return they can't negotiate back under the cheese cloth. The Floodlights will also help keep them from returning.

Take the cloth down and caulk up the holes. Look for rub marks, droppings on the shingles or ground. They can get in cracks 1/2 inch and even smaller.

I have done this with great success. They were coming and going from a gable vent squirrels had chewed through the nylon screen.

If you have gable vents be sure they have metal screen wire barriers Backed with Hardware cloth that are secure.
Keeps bats and squirrels out of attic.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Put some floodlights in your attic. Then get some cheese cloth or nylon screen material. Use some good duct tape and tape the cheese cloth loosely around entry point letting it drape down.

Leave it up for a few days. The bats will fly out and hit the cheese cloth and fall down. When they return they can't negotiate back under the cheese cloth. The Floodlights will also help keep them from returning.

Take the cloth down and caulk up the holes. Look for rub marks, droppings on the shingles or ground. They can get in cracks 1/2 inch and even smaller.

I have done this with great success. They were coming and going from a gable vent squirrels had chewed through the nylon screen.

If you have gable vents be sure they have metal screen wire barriers Backed with Hardware cloth that are secure.
Keeps bats and squirrels out of attic.

I have used 1/2 inch bird netting as you did, as a check valve, if you wish to say it that way. After 2 or 3 days make sure they are all gone and them stop them out!

thc_clubPres

I had what I thought was a squirrel in my attic or a few of them. two weeks ago every morning had a bat hanging upside down in the front covered brick porch. daughter read on-line to put a Mylar balloon in area that would mess up their 'radar', didn't work he was back several days again. I started leaving front porch light on during night and he hasn't show up last weeks worth of mornings. I may have to leave attic light on and see if I have colony up there as well.

Dean

Bats

Just FYI - might want to check, but last I heard bats were federally protected (no joke). It (was) is unlawful to kill one or remove from any building without permit, especially if they have young offspring.....have no idea how one would 'get caught' breaking the law killing or removing bats with babies but might want to at least have an understanding of the law. My understanding was bats can only be transported to another location....but if babies are involved you have to wait until the young bats mature to adults.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Just FYI - might want to check, but last I heard bats were federally protected (no joke). It (was) is unlawful to kill one or remove from any building without permit, especially if they have young offspring.....have no idea how one would 'get caught' breaking the law killing or removing bats with babies but might want to at least have an understanding of the law. My understanding was bats can only be transported to another location....but if babies are involved you have to wait until the young bats mature to adults.

bats are protected and you can not remove them from June until Aug 15.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Thanks for the replies folks. I'll try the "trap door" deal for a couple days then seal hole. This area in the attic is above a bonus room and is not accessible unless I cut out Sheetrock. I'd imagine there's a mess there.

Geffellz18

Had them in my attic as well. They were getting in at the decorative attic vents. I covered them with screening, leaving the bottom portion unattached so they could fly out safely at night, but they couldn't get back in due to the screen covering the vent leuvers. No mo bats in the attic!

image.jpg

Had this guy chilling on my control arm. I changed rims and tires on my car and washed it without knowing it was there. It paid no mind apparently. Couldn't drive the car till it got dark though as not to disturb it. They really go comatose. I'm sure the tire rubbed him a few times while I was changing them out and it was soaking wet, lol.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
bats are protected and you can not remove them from June until Aug 15.

YUP.

I used screen wire to hang a drape from the eve of the house to about a foot off the ground. Leave the bottom loose. The bats will come out and will go down to get out, but when they return, they will keep trying to get in at the top where the hole is due to the smell. They don`t will not go to the ground and come back up.

Plus, see above, double check the dates on them to be sure that no offspring may get left in there to die.