Chattahoochee WMA Gun Hunt

T-N-T

Ha! I had my daughter for back up if I needed her! :bounce:

This guy wasn't dressed like a clown was he?

I don't mess with no girls toting guns. Ever.

Clowns get shot

jbogg

What's the word on the gun hunt? How many have been checked in? I hunted Sunday morning from daylight until noon and did not hear a single shot. Hoping to go again on Friday morning. Supposed to be much cooler than last weekend.

T-N-T

What's the word on the gun hunt? How many have been checked in? I hunted Sunday morning from daylight until noon and did not hear a single shot. Hoping to go again on Friday morning. Supposed to be much cooler than last weekend.

I saw NO sign out sheet. Not even for Hogs?

I heard 4 shots from Sat morning to Monday night.

Cannot tell you what they connected with though.

I know a guy in the Low Gap campground kilt a hog Mon. though.

jbogg

I saw NO sign out sheet. Not even for Hogs?

I heard 4 shots from Sat morning to Monday night.

Cannot tell you what they connected with though.

I know a guy in the Low Gap campground kilt a hog Mon. though.

Wow! They weren't kidding when they said the acorn bonanza would make for a tough year. I have only hunted two mornings, and both times at around 3500'. The springs up high are all dry so I wonder if that might be driving the bear a little lower. I did find several springs flowing strong at around 3200'. I realize a couple hundred feet in elevation isn't much, but with acorns spread throughout all elevations there would be no need for them to hang out in an area without water as hot as it's been.

T-N-T

I felt like at times I was walking in a bombed marble factory. Acorns were as thick as leaves in the ground.

Flaustin1

I have service on top. :)
I'm camped in the first spot on the left in Low Gap campground.

I have found good "few day old" sign. No right now sign. The acorns are droping like rain. Bears can hunker into any area they like and not move for days right now.

This place gets more pass through sight seers and campers than most places. The traffic can't affect them that much?

Never made it up. Daughter got sick and had to go to Urgent Care Monday morning.

jbogg

Heading up in the morning. Temps should be in the mid 40s up high. Hoping that keeps them on their feet longer in the AM.

O-Country

Sit 6am. To 5 pm 2 squirrels and birds seen. Hunted a water hole with tons of white oaks ( when the wind puffed you needed a hard hat) good sign but I think it's being done at last light or night. To far in for me to get one any size out so I moved closer in for the tomorrow morning hunt. From what I've seen food will rot
before it gets eat theres so much. As far as water found several places they have dug for it and as long as the hogs don't mess it up the will be plenty of sign around it. They seem to leave it when the hogs get in it. I will be sitting a different water hole in the tomorrow.

DYI hunting

I'm heading out tonight to hunt tomorrow morning. Going in blind except for some recommendations from friends and some topo map spotting. Trying to setup about 600 yards from any roads and be settled in by 6:00 am.

Do I need a tree stand or is ground hunting good? If I ground hunt I figured I could quietly stalk a hundred yards or two after daylight if I needed to find a better spot. But I don't like stalking on a WMA since I run the chance of getting shot or ruin someone's hunt.

Are there hogs around the WMA and are they legal to shoot during the bear hunt?

T-N-T

Hogs on Chatt? Oh yeah. Shoot em all.

Good luck O. By the way, I'm the guy you met in the rain at the top of the road last year in the rain. I was in a white ram and the tree was blocking the road... (Early hunt)

O-Country

Hogs on Chatt? Oh yeah. Shoot em all.

Good luck O. By the way, I'm the guy you met in the rain at the top of the road last year in the rain. I was in a white ram and the tree was blocking the road... (Early hunt)

Yea I remember, good deal you in the first camper in the camp ground? Yaw do any good? So many acorns its gona be a tough year I think. So many acorns and so little water up high that is where I have found most of the sign. I have found several holes in the dry creek beds that they dug to good water. The water hole I set this morning a bear came through at 710 and in the buck berrys I was not sure he was legal for sure but I think he was so I he got a pass. As many acorns as on the ground I bet they gain weight every week for a while now. Good luck.

twincedargap

Just wondering if its better to bow hunt the NF boundary just outside a WMA during the Chestatee firearm hunt to take advantage of pressure pushing bears out of the WMA proper? or just find active bear sign areas in the CWMA and hunt them ignoring the pressure? I have no idea of the hunt will make the woods a zoo w/hunters wandering everywhere and spooking all critters off any routine.

Last edited:

ripplerider

That would be a good strategy if youre set on using your bow. Chestatee doesnt seem to get the numbers of hunters that Chattahoochee does however. It'll only be a zoo if youre not willing to climb high and far. At least thats been my experience. I love Chestatee, thats where I killed my first deer. It's tough hunting though. I hope to be there Wednesday at least. I always have better luck the first day of the hunt.

twincedargap

That would be a good strategy if youre set on using your bow. Chestatee doesnt seem to get the numbers of hunters that Chattahoochee does however. It'll only be a zoo if youre not willing to climb high and far. At least thats been my experience. I love Chestatee, thats where I killed my first deer. It's tough hunting though. I hope to be there Wednesday at least. I always have better luck the first day of the hunt.
Thanks RR. I don't mind climbing as Im a long distance cyclist & runner. I have an RV lot off 180 as I love to cycle the gaps, so climbing one to hunt won't hurt as much. I think I'll bow hunt it this long weekend coming up and use that time to pre-scout the firearm season. If its too crowded, then I can always do plan B and jump over the AT and bow hunt the other side. Thanks for the feed back. Good luck Wednesday.

tree cutter 08

Yea chestatee doesn't get near the attention as others. Its rough country and hard to hunt in places. Theres a ridge or 2 there that I bet goes years without seeing a hunter.

Jason C

I went Wednesday thru Saturday and saw some bear sign over where I hunt, but no bear.. Man you guys are right the acorns are everywhere on the hillside. I heard one shot while I was there.