trail camera batteries

habersham hammer

I have a couple of cameras I use Lithium's in and the others just plain alkaline.

I'm not talking about the Lithium's but for just the average trial camera setup with the standard alkaline.

Is it a big gimmick to sell or do Energizer, Duracell, etc.
really last longer and outperform others such as Rayovac or some generic brand?

Is it really worth the price difference?

transfixer

For me the engergizers and duracells have been worth the difference, I've tried the cheaper Rayovacs and they didn't hold up as well, and I've had the Rayovacs leak and corrode when I've forgotten about a camera or flashlight, don't think I've ever had a Duracell to do that.

JHannah92

I've used Rayovacs pretty much exclusively in my cams for years with satisfactory results. Only batteries I've had issues with were some Dollar General brand that leaked after about a week.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have a couple of cameras I use Lithium's in and the others just plain alkaline.

I'm not talking about the Lithium's but for just the average trial camera setup with the standard alkaline.

Is it a big gimmick to sell or do Energizer, Duracell, etc.
really last longer and outperform others such as Rayovac or some generic brand?

Is it really worth the price difference?

hh,

Duracell Battery Corporation was a customer of mine way back beginning in the 1980's and I have always liked their products and have used them for most every thing that used batteries.

I have been using trail cams for 6 1/2 years now and I originally used the Duracell Copper-Top batteries. Two times way back then, I also tried some of those really expensive Energizer Lithium AA batteries to see how they would perform. Well both times, these Lithium batteries disappointed me and didn't perform well at all and they cost a bunch even back then too. I never used anymore of those.

I went back to strictly using the Duracell Copper-Top only. Then when Duracell came out with the Quantums, I tried some of them in several cameras. What I found out is that even though they cost a little more, they have worked excellent for me in all of my AA cameras. A set of 8 Quantums have lasted 1 year on several occasions during the past few years in various cameras. One current set has already lasted well over one year in one camera. Believe me, I keep very detail records on every set of batteries as I check the voltage level on every brand new battery and even after I take them out when they have only one bar of battery life left. It is not uncommon for lots of my cameras in high traffic areas to take 300-500 or more photos per week. I know exactly how many photos have been taken on every camera on each set of batteries. I have been keeping these records for 6 1/2 years now on every camera and every set of batteries too. I record the exact date that I install them in every camera and also the date when I remove them as well.

Based on my records of 37 cameras currently in the woods, I use Duracell Quantums in every one of them except a couple that have the size "C" batteries. I buy all of my batteries from Sam's Club ONLY WHEN THEY ARE ON SALE and it saves me money by doing so. All 37 cameras are WGI cams ( an assortment of models too) and NOW I actually own a total 64 of them now as there are lots of spares as they may be deployed down the road.

The fact is, I don't have a clue just how the Quantum batteries might work on any other Brand of camera as I don't own any other brand. Hopefully, others may be able to give further information based on their brands of cameras.

I posted this basic information in another thread recently but I don't remember where that thread is located for now so I hope this information might be helpful to you.

XJfire75

Based on my records of 37 cameras currently in the woods, I use Duracell Quantums in every one of them except a couple that have the size "C" batteries. I buy all of my batteries from Sam's Club ONLY WHEN THEY ARE ON SALE and it saves me money by doing so. All 37 cameras are WGI cams ( an assortment of models too) and NOW I actually own a total 64 of them now as there are lots of spares as they may be deployed down the road.

With that many cameras are you able to pattern deer more effectively by placing them near each other or do you have a ton of property to cover? Just curious because I'm running 5 on 500 acres and seem like I'm covering a large majority of the travel areas so wanted input from someone who has more cameras out surveying the land. I've only ever used trail cams to get an idea of what kinda deer numbers and what size bucks I have using the area but haven't tried to use them along the same trail systems to see where they're coming and going in day light. Just curious.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
37 cameras? lol. Do the flashes go down the line setting each other off like charges? lol i'd love to have that many out if someone would check them for me.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Hard to decide where to put them all. Energizers are my go to batteries

Attachments

• 2017042995134711951501205255591_2.jpg
    2017042995134711951501205255591_2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 352

BowanaLee

I don't doubt the high dollar brands are better but I haven't had a problem with the cheap Dollar General batteries. Can't beat 6.00 for 20 ?

buckmanmike

I like the energizers. I tried the Northern Tool batteries last year. They were a great buy price wise, but not in use.
Clark Howard says buy what ever is cheapest, but I disagree.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
With that many cameras are you able to pattern deer more effectively by placing them near each other or do you have a ton of property to cover? Just curious because I'm running 5 on 500 acres and seem like I'm covering a large majority of the travel areas so wanted input from someone who has more cameras out surveying the land. I've only ever used trail cams to get an idea of what kinda deer numbers and what size bucks I have using the area but haven't tried to use them along the same trail systems to see where they're coming and going in day light. Just curious.

37 cameras? lol. Do the flashes go down the line setting each other off like charges? lol i'd love to have that many out if someone would check them for me.

XJfire75,
The truth is that I love to see everything that is moving about on my property. This includes deer, turkeys, coyotes, foxes (rare), raccoons, squirrels, flying squirrels, chipmunks, rats, armadillos, bobcats, hawks, crows, huge wood-peckers, ducks, blue herons, snakes, and even occasionally a couple of dogs that belong to a neighbor about a mile away that seem to be running loose all over the woods.

I see the same deer, turkeys, coyotes and bobcats traveling the same patterns day after day, month after month and year after year. They appear to be on a time clock of sorts as they pretty much keep these same travel routes yearly. That is one thing that lets the cameras tell the story about the wildlife involved.

I really don't care that much about actually deer hunting as I love to watch the deer a lot more than shooting them. I don't shoot any does on my property. I do still have sufficient venison in my freezer as I average killing a buck about once every three years. As I've said before, I have sat in my deer stand or on the ground many times with NO intent of actually shooting a deer that day BUT if I saw a coyote and I had a chance to eliminate it, I would. Sometimes, I sit without my rifle and just use my binoculars in watching the wildlife. My Daughter is a Photographer and she loves wildlife photos just as much as I do so we get to compare each other's photos. She has also given me some great advice from time to time in helping me get the best photo opportunities available.

I have watched the deer traveling on my property for several years now and I love to watch them grow even more each year and especially as the younger does have fawns of their own. I do in fact recognize most every deer on my trail cameras from year to year as for most of them, I already have hundreds of their photos along this journey. I try my best to look closely at each deer and see the different coloration of hair, the area around their eyes, actual cut places, ear notches, scraped backs and legs as they walk through barbed-wire fences etc. Occasionally during the peak of the rut, I will see maybe a couple of new bucks traveling through but they only last for a few days at most. I also have been able to watch sparring bucks on multiple photos over these years as well.

XIronheadX,
YES over the years, I have had multiple photos of another camera flash being made at the same time as I have two feeding stations on my property and on one of them, I have 5 cameras (of assorted models) covering every angle and on another feeding station, I have 6 cameras that cover it from different angles as well and sometimes I also have multiple photos of other camera flashes at the same time.

What most people don't know is that these bright INFRARED flashes DO NOT BOTHER THE DEER in the slightest over the past 6 1/2 years. They continue doing exactly what they were doing as if it didn't happen as they can't see this flash and neither can humans. Only another IR camera can detect the actual bright flash as it will show up on a another photo.

On 4 different tree locations around my property, I also have two different model cameras located on the same tree and they are only one foot apart and placed in the same projected angle as each other. I did this to evaluate 4 different models cameras to see which ones performed the best. I want to use the very best models available and this is the best way to determine that fact. This is another reason that I have always kept very accurate details of every camera and every set of batteries since I started using trail cameras back 6 1/2 years ago. I buy more new cameras for evaluation each year in trying to keep up to date with the best performing models with the latest technology for my use.

Triton Mike

XJfire75,
The truth is that I love to see everything that is moving about on my property. This includes deer, turkeys, coyotes, foxes (rare), raccoons, squirrels, flying squirrels, chipmunks, rats, armadillos, bobcats, hawks, crows, huge wood-peckers, ducks, blue herons, snakes, and even occasionally a couple of dogs that belong to a neighbor about a mile away that seem to be running loose all over the woods.

I see the same deer, turkeys, coyotes and bobcats traveling the same patterns day after day, month after month and year after year. They appear to be on a time clock of sorts as they pretty much keep these same travel routes yearly. That is one thing that lets the cameras tell the story about the wildlife involved.

I really don't care that much about actually deer hunting as I love to watch the deer a lot more than shooting them. I don't shoot any does on my property. I do still have sufficient venison in my freezer as I average killing a buck about once every three years. As I've said before, I have sat in my deer stand or on the ground many times with NO intent of actually shooting a deer that day BUT if I saw a coyote and I had a chance to eliminate it, I would. Sometimes, I sit without my rifle and just use my binoculars in watching the wildlife. My Daughter is a Photographer and she loves wildlife photos just as much as I do so we get to compare each other's photos. She has also given me some great advice from time to time in helping me get the best photo opportunities available.

I have watched the deer traveling on my property for several years now and I love to watch them grow even more each year and especially as the younger does have fawns of their own. I do in fact recognize most every deer on my trail cameras from year to year as for most of them, I already have hundreds of their photos along this journey. I try my best to look closely at each deer and see the different coloration of hair, the area around their eyes, actual cut places, ear notches, scraped backs and legs as they walk through barbed-wire fences etc. Occasionally during the peak of the rut, I will see maybe a couple of new bucks traveling through but they only last for a few days at most. I also have been able to watch sparring bucks on multiple photos over these years as well.

XIronheadX,
YES over the years, I have had multiple photos of another camera flash being made at the same time as I have two feeding stations on my property and on one of them, I have 5 cameras (of assorted models) covering every angle and on another feeding station, I have 6 cameras that cover it from different angles as well and sometimes I also have multiple photos of other camera flashes at the same time.

What most people don't know is that these bright INFRARED flashes DO NOT BOTHER THE DEER in the slightest over the past 6 1/2 years. They continue doing exactly what they were doing as if it didn't happen as they can't see this flash and neither can humans. Only another IR camera can detect the actual bright flash as it will show up on a another photo.

On 4 different tree locations around my property, I also have two different model cameras located on the same tree and they are only one foot apart and placed in the same projected angle as each other. I did this to evaluate 4 different models cameras to see which ones performed the best. I want to use the very best models available and this is the best way to determine that fact. This is another reason that I have always kept very accurate details of every camera and every set of batteries since I started using trail cameras back 6 1/2 years ago. I buy more new cameras for evaluation each year in trying to keep up to date with the best performing models with the latest technology for my use.

Ok so what have you found to be the best bang for the buck camera wise?

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Ok so what have you found to be the best bang for the buck camera wise?

The following is a listing in order that I think has been the best deal based on performance and the best bang for the buck.

#1 WGI Blade X6, Model #W 6i20a. They have worked excellent and will take amazing photos. It is hard to find this exact model camera anymore but if I could, I would buy more of them for the future. I bought all except one of these cameras for $50 and $60 each at Academy Sports.

#2 WGI RAZOR X10 LIGHTSOUT, Model # M10b14c. The deer love them and will pose for this style camera over and over. The battery life is also 1 year plus too. This is basically a $120 camera but I have bought several of them for $100, $80, and even $50 on sale.

#3 WGI RED ENHANCED Model N6ECA. (Solid Black Color) I have previously used this model camera for 4 1/2 years as it has performed great even in a high traffic area. Recently, a friend on this board gave me a "heads up" on a fantastic deal on some of these cameras. I bought 10 of them for $ 29.99 each from Simmons Sporting Goods in Bastrop, Louisana and I received them within two days. I put some of them in the woods the very next day and I actually posted some excellent photos on here the following week. These cameras were out-dated inventory so I called WGI to verify the situation. I found that each year Simmons buys and sells a lot of WGI cameras and they pass on one heck of a savings most every June on these goods. On this Model camera, because I had such great previous experience, I took the chance on them. I am totally satisfied with my decision.

Both of the below cameras were installed in the woods on 8/27/2016. They BOTH HAVE THE ORIGINAL QUANTUM set of batteries in them as well and have done an excellent job in my opinion. Neither one of these cameras miss a photo due to the fast trigger speed.

My original goal was to evaluate some of the newer models against other older models that I previously had in service for several years. These two model cameras both passed the test with flying colors.

#4 WGI CRUSH 10 ILLUSION, Model # i10i20. This camera performs excellent with a 1/2 second trigger speed.

#5 WGI CRUSH 10 ILLUSION LIGHTSOUT Model # i10b20. This camera also performs excellent with a 1/2 second trigger speed.

I have previously posted hundreds of super nice photos from all five of these model cameras and also from several of my other camera models on this site. I had also posted vacation photos etc that range back to 2007. However, PHOTOBUCKET will not allow me to do that in the future unless I pay them $ 399.99 per year. I think NOT !!! These IDIOTS also never gave ANY PRIOR NOTIFICATION that they were never going to be showing any of my previous photos from the past and in place of those, it only shows their stupid logo that states that I need to upgrade my account. I hope these IDIOTS rot in hades and go completely bankrupt and close the place down entirely for what they have done. Rant Over for now anyway.

Last edited: