Unbiased Opinion

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Without the blue you simply have tendency, trend, feeling or opinion. The blue part qualifies the rest as bias.

Would you say that you're biased about gravity? Are you biased because you think a rock will fall down?

I think your trying to make the word bias do too much or not enough. I can't tell which.

Negative Ghostrider....

It says bias is tendency,trend,feeling or opinion... and even more so if......

I guess it depends on what is is....

ambush80

Negative Ghostrider....

It says bias is tendency,trend,feeling or opinion... and even more so if......

I guess it depends on what is is....

Why do you think Webster included the part in blue?

So are you biased about gravity?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Why do you think Webster included the part in blue?

So are you biased about gravity?

I think that Webster included it to show that bias has different degrees, and that bias, with those qualifiers, is especially blatant.

I am extremely biased about gravity, because of my experiences with it and the preconceived ideas I gathered over the years.

Gravity hurts.

ambush80

I think that Webster included it to show that bias has different degrees, and that bias, with those qualifiers, is especially blatant.

I am extremely biased about gravity, because of my experiences with it and the preconceived ideas I gathered over the years.

Gravity hurts.

Fair enough. You defended you position properly. All particular tendencies, trends, inclinations, feelings, or opinions are biases.

Is one's understanding of gravity an opinion? Can one say "This rock isn't falling down. It's falling up."?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Fair enough. You defended you position properly. All particular tendencies, trends, inclinations, feelings, or opinions are biases.

Is one's understanding of gravity an opinion? Can one say "This rock isn't falling down. It's falling up."?

gravity isn't an opinion with me. It is fact. And as a fact, it colors everything I see, say and do concerning heights. Whether I am standing on top of my house, calculating time to climb for the flight I am planning, or in the bottom of a hole trying to get out.

I would hope that no one would claim a rock fell upward, but you never know in this crazy mixed up world.

ambush80

gravity isn't an opinion with me. It is fact. And as a fact, it colors everything I see, say and do concerning heights. Whether I am standing on top of my house, calculating time to climb for the flight I am planning, or in the bottom of a hole trying to get out.

I would hope that no one would claim a rock fell upward, but you never know in this crazy mixed up world.

I think we just revealed something about what differentiates bias from objective, dispassionate, unbiased fact and how to recognize the difference. Took a minute, didn't it?;)

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I think we just revealed something about what differentiates bias from objective, dispassionate, unbiased fact and how to recognize the difference. Took a minute, didn't it?;)

I am not sure about that. It is just that you and I agree on what gravity is and does. That doesn't mean that we would agree on other 'facts'.

Especially 'facts' as it relates to religion and it effects on the world today. Or even it's effect on the world in history.

It is all about perception and past experiences that a person had.

matt79brown

I had a life changing experience that I accredit to Jesus Christ. That is a fact. Now weather or not you believe Christ was the reason for the change is arguable. You can question, disagree, argue, debate all day but I can't be moved on the subject because it's as factual as gravity's effect on the falling rock. To me. I experienced it. Every day I'm living it. It's not theory. You might say it's ''rock'' solid. To me that is.

ambush80

I am not sure about that. It is just that you and I agree on what gravity is and does. That doesn't mean that we would agree on other 'facts'.

Especially 'facts' as it relates to religion and it effects on the world today. Or even it's effect on the world in history.

It is all about perception and past experiences that a person had.

We have a way to test gravity and measure it. If you want to talk about religious things as facts they should be equally verifiable, or call them something other than facts.

ambush80

I had a life changing experience that I accredit to Jesus Christ. That is a fact. Now weather or not you believe Christ was the reason for the change is arguable. You can question, disagree, argue, debate all day but I can't be moved on the subject because it's as factual as gravity's effect on the falling rock. To me. I experienced it. Every day I'm living it. It's not theory. You might say it's ''rock'' solid. To me that is.

OK. I can tell from this that your requirements for establishing things as facts are very different from mine.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We have a way to test gravity and measure it. If you want to talk about religious things as facts they should be equally verifiable, or call them something other than facts.

see... you would probably argue that Jesus was not raised from the dead, yet it is one of the most documented events in history. We have over 400 manuscripts, some dating to within 20 years of the event attesting to that fact.

My guess is that your biases would not allow you to accept this as a fact, even though there is all that evidence to proof it.

ambush80

Someone saying "I believe I saw Bigfoot" contains the fact that they believe they saw Bigfoot. It is not a fact that they saw Bigfoot.

ambush80

see... you would probably argue that Jesus was not raised from the dead, yet it is one of the most documented events in history. We have over 400 manuscripts, some dating to within 20 years of the event attesting to that fact.

My guess is that your biases would not allow you to accept this as a fact, even though there is all that evidence to proof it.

I'm not a Biblical scholar or a theologian so I base my disbelief of Jesus' resurrection on what I know about life and death and science. I imagine Bullethead will chime in as he actually does research on Biblical claims, analyze their historicity, and the reliability of any eyewitness accounts. What if he finds something contrary to your evidence?

I know that there's some issues with the eyewitness evidence in that some of the people say that they didn't recognize the resurrected Jesus. Can you look at that evidence objectively?

There's a reason why things like the resurrection are called miracles. It's because they confound all sense of what is understood to be possible. If it's outside of what we understand, then you don't understand it. Why then would you speak from authority about what happened?

ambush80

I'm willing to examine your claim that the resurrection is one of the most documented events in history. Proceed.

red neck richie

Most people base their opinion on personal life experiences. Some are easily influenced and base theirs off the ramblings of others. Or as Walt says they have been indoctrinated to have that opinion. I don't doubt that happens by the way. Look at ambush and his podcasts. It could be cultural. If you ask me it depends on the individual, everyone is different. I think it is possible for someone to have an unbiased opinion but highly unlikely. Some people base opinions on probability. There are too many variables that's what makes it interesting. By definition alone a view or judgement not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. Therefore it can always be argued.

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Someone saying "I believe I saw Bigfoot" contains the fact that they believe they saw Bigfoot. It is not a fact that they saw Bigfoot.

but if you had multiples of people all saying the same thing, that would be a bit different matter, no?

If it were documented that Bigfoot walked all over town, and hundreds saw it, wouldn't that make it a bit more believable?

Yeah,,, I know all the reasons you will say it isn't believable, because it would cause all kinds of conflict within you and challenge your belief system, but you do have to admit that several hundred people seeing the same thing, at the same time, and documenting it.

They had to have a group hallucination or there has to be some truth to the story... at least my biases tell me that are the choices.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I'm willing to examine your claim that the resurrection is one of the most documented events in history. Proceed.

I could do this, but to what end? It would just be one point after another in an endless circular argument.

Like I said in my first post, your biases will not allow you to accept that the event could be based in truth. There is no use in me putting all that information out there to try and convince you.

If you have any interest in it, you will find the time to research it for yourself. I doubt that happening either, because of your biases.

No, this is not a cop out. I have presented this information to people for years, and my biases lead me to believe it is a dead end street and not a good use of my time.

I am, however, willing to listen to your arguments that Christ is not risen, after you have researched the subject and looked at the documentation.

ambush80

but if you had multiples of people all saying the same thing, that would be a bit different matter, no?

If it were documented that Bigfoot walked all over town, and hundreds saw it, wouldn't that make it a bit more believable?

Yeah,,, I know all the reasons you will say it isn't believable, because it would cause all kinds of conflict within you and challenge your belief system, but you do have to admit that several hundred people seeing the same thing, at the same time, and documenting it.

They had to have a group hallucination or there has to be some truth to the story... at least my biases tell me that are the choices.

OK. I'm open. Show me the best historical evidence of Jesus' resurrection.

Hundreds of people have claimed to have seen Bigfoot. Do you believe that Bigfoot is real based on that?