Growing artichokes in Georgia?

tzingleman

Has anyone had any luck growing artichokes in Georgia? If so, where are you located and what variety did you grow? This is one plant I haven't tried before.

Thanks

It's very difficult to grow artichokes in Georgia.

They require a long cool growing season, which of course we don't have. But also they don't tolerate freezing weather well at all.

Artichokes are a biennnial. There is a variety, Imperial Star, that supposedly can be grown in one season, and is more adapted to the south. I haven't tried that particular one.

Long time ago I tried, and just didn't have any luck with them. Maybe in a partially shaded spot, with a real good water supply.

Doyle

Almost 100% of the artichokes grown commercially in America come from the Castro Valley in California. My father-in-law lives right in the middle of the fields. The weather there is typically from 50 degrees to about 80 degrees all year round. There are lots of days in the middle of the summer where you need to wear a jacket.

crackerdave

Interesting stuff!
I never tried growing it either - but then, I don't like it much.Maybe because the only 'chokes I've eaten were canned?