Planting Saw Tooth Oaks

tmiller

About to plant some saw tooth oaks saplings, I have planted them in the past but I wanted to check and see if anyone had any tips on making them the most successful, ie fertlizer in the hole, watering, etc. I plan to use grow tubes, dig a hole and put them in it.

Kdog

The most important thing to do is to protect them. Cages or tubes, and if you can add weed protection that will help. I would not apply any fertilizer now, or in the future, but you can the second year if you prefer. If you are planting in tubes, make sure you pull the tubes each winter and prune the shoots so you have a central leader.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Are you planting potted trees or bare root ?
I planted several 10-12 years ago . I got them from a nursery straight out of the ground , I guess they were 1 year old . I planted 20-30 as soon as I got them . Potted about that many and planted them the next year .
Didn’t have much luck with the bare root trees but nearly 100% on the ones I potted

fatback

Antharper,

Are you getting any acorns yet? I planted some 7 gallon trees in December 2021 and they are all doing well. Just wondering how long before I might get some acorns. Thanks

antharper

Staff member
Antharper,

Are you getting any acorns yet? I planted some 7 gallon trees in December 2021 and they are all doing well. Just wondering how long before I might get some acorns. Thanks
Buckets full ! I think they produced just a few at 4-5 years old . Now they absolutely cover the ground during archery season . And they get hammered . I’d bet if you don’t get a late freeze you’ll have some this year

longrangedog

I bought a property with a couple dozen mature trees. Every year (now 6 years) I've owned the property the crop has been lost to a late freeze. My opinion is that they are not a good hard mast tree for the north Georgia mountains.

tmiller

Are you planting potted trees or bare root ?
I planted several 10-12 years ago . I got them from a nursery straight out of the ground , I guess they were 1 year old . I planted 20-30 as soon as I got them . Potted about that many and planted them the next year .
Didn’t have much luck with the bare root trees but nearly 100% on the ones I potted
Potted....we planted them from acorns 2 years ago.

2dye4

About to plant some saw tooth oaks saplings, I have planted them in the past but I wanted to check and see if anyone had any tips on making them the most successful, ie fertlizer in the hole, watering, etc. I plan to use grow tubes, dig a hole and put them in it.
@Jim Boyd could probably give you some advice. I sent him a bunch of acorns he planted in pots and eventually planted in the ground I think.

antharper

Staff member
I bought a property with a couple dozen mature trees. Every year (now 6 years) I've owned the property the crop has been lost to a late freeze. My opinion is that they are not a good hard mast tree for the north Georgia mountains.
I’ve had 2 years since mine started producing that they got fried by late frost . I’m in West Ga , Troup . And I think mine are closer to 15 years old .

mattb78

I believe the best practice is what you described above plus adding some black landscaping tarp and applying herbicide in a 2 sq feet area around the tree prior to planting. Less competition for nutrients.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Water and protection is the best practice for the first few years.

Jim Boyd

IMG_2638.jpegIMG_2639.jpegIMG_2824.jpegIMG_3110.jpeg@Jim Boyd could probably give you some advice. I sent him a bunch of acorns he planted in pots and eventually planted in the ground I think.

…and they are appreciated!

They were planted early spring and I think I have about 160

Ready to plant in early February

They will be about a year old when planted.

They have just gone dormant about a month ago.

I thought I had some recent pics but they are about 2’ tall now.

Jim Boyd

I screwed those photos up somehow.

2dye4

…and they are appreciated!

They were planted early spring and I think I have about 160

Ready to plant in early February

They will be about a year old when planted.

They have just gone dormant about a month ago.

I thought I had some recent pics but they are about 2’ tall now.
Hope they all make it.

Jim Boyd

IMG_4213.jpegIMG_4211.jpegIMG_4210.jpegIMG_4205.jpegDJI_0056.jpegIMG_3574.jpegWe planted 100 about 4 years ago.

Think 88-90 are still going.

The deer are really hard on the trunks.

We augered the holes, dropped in a fert tab, put a little dirt in hole and planted the trees.

We put 5’ tubes on them which is too tall IMO.

Left the tubes about 3 years maybe?

We mulched the trees in year 2 maybe.

Some are starting to crown now and maybe 10-14’ tall?

2-4” diameter maybe?

They make scrapes under them and tear up some of the branches but that does not irk me as much as rubbing them and potentially killing them.

Jim Boyd

Some of those pics are pear trees tho

Mostly we planted them in rows out in food plots.

Jim Boyd

Put in 52 pears when we planted the oaks.

Last two years, hard frost has been tough

Jim Boyd

Thank you Mr. Jim.....very helpful as always!

Welcome brother.

Think we only lost 1 of the pear trees and I was not sure what did it in.

Both the pears and the oaks need full sun.

Some were planted is semi shade and either died or are not growing nearly as well.

That is my main takeaway for the 100+ I am gonna plant this winter.

Gonna try to recycle as many tree tubes as I can with a 36-40” height target.

I think, for the potted oaks, we better look at at and try to straighten the main root as we plant them.

Good luck!

Jim Boyd

I think this covers the oaks and the pears maybe?

At least the ones I am planting this year go on the farm we bought a few years ago.

Moving there full time in January 2024 - one more year to work!