Planting Crabapple Trees this Weekend

ventilator

Picked up 11 Bare Root crabapple trees yesterday from a Wildlife nursery in South Carolina. 4 Calloways, 3 Dolgos , and 4 Ruby Reds. I have a couple areas with full sun to plant them near my existing two plots on the farm. Any tips on planting them? I have only ever planted fruit trees with root balls in the past. So far I have read to dig the hole twice as wide and deep as the roots, while only refilling the hole as high as the existing soil level. Should I use mulch now or wait a bit until the soil settles after a rain or two? Any other tips are appreciated too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Picked up 11 Bare Root crabapple trees yesterday from a Wildlife nursery in South Carolina. 4 Calloways, 3 Dolgos , and 4 Ruby Reds. I have a couple areas with full sun to plant them near my existing two plots on the farm. Any tips on planting them? I have only ever planted fruit trees with root balls in the past. So far I have read to dig the hole twice as wide and deep as the roots, while only refilling the hole as high as the existing soil level. Should I use mulch now or wait a bit until the soil settles after a rain or two? Any other tips are appreciated too.
Be sure to plant them at the same level they were growing instead of deeper, spread the roots out good, and work any air pockets out. Build a water retention collar around the hole. Water them in really good, and yeah, mulch now is good. Also, be sure the roots don't dry out before you get them in the ground.

ventilator

They are sitting outside in the rain now. They were dug on Saturday. Still fresh. I figured that was a good reason get them locally from the nursery.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They are sitting outside in the rain now. They were dug on Saturday. Still fresh. I figured that was a good reason get them locally from the nursery.
Yep. If those fine roots ever dry out for just a few minutes, they're toast.

ventilator

Got all 11 in the ground saturday. 7 surrounding one plot and 4 in the other plot, along with a Pear thats having a rough time of it. Tough digging 11 big holes by hand in that SC dirt. No shortage of rocks, but at least it had rained a good bit a couple days before to soften it up a little.

Glynr

The only regret I have. Wish I would have planted 25 Dologo crabapple. My trees are loaded ever year have 5 and deer love them.

ventilator

Hallman Farms is in Little Mountain, SC. Been buying pears, apples and crabapples from them for 7 years. Excellent product and super customer service.
Prosperity and Little Mtn are less than 1/4" apart on a map. LOL

Bama1787

I only have tree skirts right now. Where is a good place to cages? Lowes or Home depot sell them?
it'll take some work, but I buy 4' tall "goat" fence. cut it into lengths of 12' and make them into hoops. Some people say you must stake the hoops....i don't. they don't go anywhere. others may have a better method, but this has worked very well for me.

Latest posts