Planting few year old bare root trees

sghoghunter

I found an ad on marketplace for bare root wildlife trees already a few years old. I’ve never planted bare root trees other than young pines. How do you plant a couple year old trees and what’s the odd’s of these trees living?

Attachments

• IMG_1422.png
    IMG_1422.png
    622.8 KB · Views: 57

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I think done right they will do great . I’ve only planted some that were a year old and didn’t take very good care of them and didn’t have good results . I took some of the same trees at the same time and planted in pots for another year and had great results .

sghoghunter

I’ve had good luck with transplanting chestnuts and Leland cypresses but that’s it. They will be here around the house so I can water them for the first year or so. I’ve already got some chestnuts but would like to add a couple crabapples and maybe a bald cypress or two around one of my ponds

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Bare-root is iffy compared to containerized. Sometimes they do good if you stand over them with a water hose, but you usually lose a lot, too. It also depends on how much of the roots they get when they dig them, and how much they dry out before being planted. I would be tempted to plant them in pots for a year before planting them out.

sghoghunter

Bare-root is iffy compared to containerized. Sometimes they do good if you stand over them with a water hose, but you usually lose a lot, too. It also depends on how much of the roots they get when they dig them, and how much they dry out before being planted. I would be tempted to plant them in pots for a year before planting them out.

The pictures he has posted shows a good root system

Attachments

• IMG_1426.png
    IMG_1426.png
    875.5 KB · Views: 35

Long Cut

I’m always hesitant with any tree that pushes a deep tap root. Oak trees especially. They can become root bound if not pruned and put in large enough containers.
These trees will NEED to be staked down and planted in a deep hole.

You’re essentially buying time with these trees, but it’s a slippery slope if the nursery cut corners.