duck hunters in heard county

Duckbuster82

I am here to tell you, hunting birds in the Midwest is far from "taking the easy way out". I hunt a lot of rice and its a lot of work. We pump water in fields and out of pits,b rush in blinds, put out 12 to 15 doz decoys and pick them back up everyday, we run generators and ice eaters to keep a hole open, not to mention just driving out there. How many Ga public ground holes you ever done that in? It takes way more skill to kill birds in a rice field than in a public wood duck hole. 98% of Ga hunters can't even blow a call, much less work birds in close enough to kill. I've killed enough wood ducks on public ground to fill a semi trailer, it's not that hard. I choose to apply some skill and kill birds in the Midwest. Ga hunting doesn't interest me anymore. If you think I'm taking the easy way out, I challenge you to try hunting rice fields for 60 days. I'm sure you will have a different outlook on guys "taking the easy way out"

I am not talking about wood duck hunting. So you brush your blind once a year, i make mine every day. I hunt big spreads but hunt muck not hard bottom. Often wade through marsh or Pirogue in, i can’t drive my cart to the blind. Often have to deal with tides, changing water condition, other hunters etc. You get to sleep in and don’t get beat to holes. I have to find birds each day and hope no one runs them up or try’s to hunt them in the afternoon before I get back. If there is ice, i can’t bring my Ice eater out. I have to adjust or bring a sledge hammer to make a hole. I will put in close to 60 days this year.

There is no way you can say private is harder than public otherwise you would not be doing it.

hrstille

I am not talking about wood duck hunting. So you brush your blind once a year, i make mine every day. I hunt big spreads but hunt muck not hard bottom. Often wade through marsh or Pirogue in, i can’t drive my cart to the blind. Often have to deal with tides, changing water condition, other hunters etc. You get to sleep in and don’t get beat to holes. I have to find birds each day and hope no one runs them up or try’s to hunt them in the afternoon before I get back. If there is ice, i can’t bring my Ice eater out. I have to adjust or bring a sledge hammer to make a hole. I will put in close to 60 days this year.

There is no way you can say private is harder than public otherwise you would not be doing it.
I commend you for working hard to kill birds. You don't know the time and effort I put so don't say I take the easy way out just because I hunt private leases. Too each his own. We both hunt ducks and appear to be passionate about it. Don't judge my way and I won't judge yours. It's personal preference

Duckbuster82

Like I said earlier, if you hunt private impoundments and just show up to shoot where is the glory in killing a bird. If you build plant and maintain an impoundment at least you have invested time and effort into it. But there is a reason you are in a private club, it is more convientwnt and easier than hunting public. The original topic was baiting and cheating. If you plant food and keep people off of it, the birds will come. So the only difference between planting a pond and dumping corn out is the money it cost. Politicians that have have the money to have private impoundments so it is in their favor to right the laws that benefit themselves.

Mexican Squealer

You sound like a kid who finally scratched a few Ringnecks on Seminole and now thinks is a real gift to the waterfowl world. Keep on keeping on the way you are. Won't have to worry bout us lowly private land cheaters.��

hrstille

Like I said earlier, if you hunt private impoundments and just show up to shoot where is the glory in killing a bird. If you build plant and maintain an impoundment at least you have invested time and effort into it. But there is a reason you are in a private club, it is more convientwnt and easier than hunting public. The original topic was baiting and cheating. If you plant food and keep people off of it, the birds will come. So the only difference between planting a pond and dumping corn out is the money it cost. Politicians that have have the money to have private impoundments so it is in their favor to right the laws that benefit themselves.

Have you ever hunted out west? Mizzouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi? Do you even know what goes into hunting out there? It's a little more than dumping out corn in a hole. I congratulate you for having the ability to kill a duck on public land. It's quite an accomplishment than many men can't pull off. One day I hope to acquire the skill and knowledge you have. Good luck this season.

Duckbuster82

Have you ever hunted out west? Mizzouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi? Do you even know what goes into hunting out there? It's a little more than dumping out corn in a hole. I congratulate you for having the ability to kill a duck on public land. It's quite an accomplishment than many men can't pull off. One day I hope to acquire the skill and knowledge you have. Good luck this season.

Yes I have hunted all over the country and others, I have hunted dry fields, flooded fields, lakes, rivers, creeks, Marsh, oceans, mud puddles. I have built and planted impoundments, i have friends out west that I have helped prep their clubs and never hunted them. I know the work that goes in. If you would stop being offended and read everything I have said you would understand what is being said. Killing a duck on private is easier than public. Look at how many people here in Georgia kill good quality birds on their private land then how many quality birds and hunts come off public. Now if you also plant that private ground you have all the ingredients to kill birds. They have food and a place to rest, some private clubs now have ponds built for loafing and roosting. Why would they leave? You can manage pressure on private ground and hold birds much longer than public grounds. I said the average impoundment hunter would struggle on public water. If you are so offended does that mean you are sub par? I am not bashing the private field stuff, it’s each to their own. Just saying i value a kill on public land above private for above reasons.

PappyHoel

How much of my money was spent on this corn roundup for some stupid birds? Fuel, pilot, deputies, etc. go catch a rapist or murderer. Our priorities are all bassackwards

Mexican Squealer

I would agree that killing birds on my private spots is easier than all the mess we go through killing them on public. With that said, I wouldn't trade my private leases and owned spots for all the public land in the world.

deast1988

My buddy got a ticket for hunting public land. Apparently someone put corn out around 900yds from where they were set up. DNR was nice enough to show them the corn after they issued the tickets. Somewhere along the way DMR said it's the hunters responsibility to know your surroundings. If a person drives an hourvto hunt a spot on public land and doesn't even own the boat they are in. Or the location they are set up on. How you suppose to know that almost a 1000yds away 4ft under muddy water a local had baited. Game laws in GA, are super complicated. That Ranger had issued tickets to any and all hunters in sight of that cove. That morning 14/17 tickets. He took joy in filling his quota but I don't see how one from way off could get hit for water he had no way to scout an maybe his first hunt on the lake. Sinclair an Oconee at daylight is a crap shoot go to a spot get shined go to another get shined. They expect you to know the entire lake An contents beneath the surface aswell. These tickets if I remember $485 apiece An if the guy happily had a chip on his shoulder An wrote 15 tickets. $7300 of income by a twisted Ranger sounds perfect for ga Duck hunting.

Duckbuster82

I hope they went to court over that. To be illegally hunting over bait you have to put it there or know it was there.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I hope they went to court over that. To be illegally hunting over bait you have to put it there or know it was there.

Same here. That wouldn't hold up I don't believe