Corn And Deer Health Warning!

dtala

horsepuckey!!! If any of that was any where near true Texas would have no deer left alive. Lord help us.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Iowa is basically all corn. There must not be any deer there

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Corn does not engorge me. When I eat it, it looks the same the next day as when I ate it.

Major Wader

These studies are based on deer way up North, where there is very little native browse left late in the snowy deer season, and deer gorge on corn, then get sick. Big problem.

Here in the South, corn is more of a treat/snack, and they still eat other stuff. No problem.

I don't feed corn

because I have too.

I feed corn because ALL of my neighbors are doing it. And, If I want to have some deer traffic I will feed deer also.

I was never a Nathan Deal fan...until now.

s&r

Blisterapine

There is more to deer size than what they simply eat. Simply put, the farther north you travel, the larger the deer will be in body size. There is a scientific theory wrapped around this, but I forget what its called. It boils down to climate though. Up north where it gets very cold and stays very cold for long periods, a larger body makes for more mass and makes it easier for a deer to stay warm.

Down south, where it gets warm and stays warm, a very large body is harder to keep cool, so deer tend to be a bit smaller.

I believe the record weight whitetails were both shot in Maine and they weighed almost 400 pounds!

I don't think you'll find any deer even close to that weight in southern agricultural areas where they can eat soybeen and peanuts to their hearts content.

Oh and you can discount genetics to some degree since the GA whitetail herd was rebuilt with transplanted Northern deer, as well as some from the barrier islands

According to Duncan Dobie, the 2 heaviest whitetails on record weighed 355lbs. dressed. 1 was taken in South Georgia and 1 from Maine.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
According to Duncan Dobie, the 2 heaviest whitetails on record weighed 355lbs. dressed. 1 was taken in South Georgia and 1 from Maine.

"From what we can gather, the heaviest whitetail ever shot was killed by a bow-hunter, John Annett of Ontario, in 1977. The deer field dressed 431 pounds on government-certified scales. That would have given it an estimated live weight of more than 540 pounds. However, reports indicate the buck was butchered before Canadian authorities could inspect it.

Second place seemingly belongs to a 402-pound Minnesota buck killed by Carl Lenander Jr. in 1926. Conservation officials estimated the live weight at 511 pounds."

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/b...ail-wisdom/deer-pictures-real-slobberknockers

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Iowa is basically all corn. There must not be any deer there

ssshhhhhh... Don't say stuff like that T.. It throws the anti baiters into a tizzy when you point out that corn doesn't kill deer..

ProAngler

More anti baiting fear mongering. It’s amazing there are any deer left in Texas with all of that deadly corn everywhere.

deast1988

I'm totally for baiting and feeding deer! I prefer stuff like game fuel. Give them a mix of protein with a little corn they can't resist.