Mossy Oaks mini web series Seek-One (Hunt NOT for Charlie)

I read the article. Congratulations on the deer and I will imagine it's the new state record. Going to be hard to top that one. I still want to see the video.

b rad2

Banned
good job lee miss u bro how u been we use to play ball together good buck u got. u finally learned what i was telling u bout them atl deer

Just watched the preview for Bane.

This would be more enjoyable if they weren’t just seeking fame and popularity. It’s like a wee wee measuring contest with these guys. Jeez give me a break.

Just hunt your deer, kill them and move on. No need to portray this fictional “extremely difficult” hunting to the public.

Signed,

An urban hunter.

Tmpr111

Just read the GON article myself.... interesting read. The deer was no doubt taken legally, although that’s never been the argument. I do think though one can clearly see the sensitivity now around this deer after reading that, and also understand how one could argue it’s comfort in the area he spent the better part of 10 years in. It actually stated “we would often have to sneak around in the woods looking for Zeus as if we were hunting bc he would run off the moment he saw us step into those woods”... ha!

Personally, I do not understand how folks could say someone was spreading rumors if the man who fed the deer all those years on his property’s sanctuary (as they called it) admitted himself to the author that he actually told people he hand-raised the deer to try and prevent folks from hunting him.

Anyhoo, the story is out, I feel no differently after reading it myself. Suburbia has its challenges with killing deer - and those being finding a big deer and obtaining permission... not so much with hunting the deer imo. Till the next one.....

Ugahunter2013

I read the article and all i can do is shake my head. Something doesn’t smell right. The hunter seems pretty sneaky. I have no dog in the fight, but if he thinks killing a deer in someones backyard is as challenging as killing one in the middle of highly pressured big woods, he is needs to come back down to earth. I found this quote from the gon article pretty funny . “We actualy had to sneak around in the woods looking for Zeus as if we were hunting because he would run off the moment he saw us step in the woods.” Gee you think?!

bany

What I’ve been thinking about on all of this is.......some fellas(hunters) have been letting some of these bucks walk for years for the enjoyment and hope for harvesting a monster deer. Seems somewhat afoul for someone to find a small opening and cherrypick the beast.
I didn’t watch or follow most of the info on these guys so I have no opinion on the how and what’s of it all. I suppose if I had a booner in my area and suddenly had “company” after all these years I’d be none too pleased.
A couple years ago I did have a camera and corn show up by my stand. Let him know I wasn’t tickled and I guess he left or ?

LEGHORN

What I’ve been thinking about on all of this is.......some fellas(hunters) have been letting some of these bucks walk for years for the enjoyment and hope for harvesting a monster deer. Seems somewhat afoul for someone to find a small opening and cherrypick the beast.
I didn’t watch or follow most of the info on these guys so I have no opinion on the how and what’s of it all. I suppose if I had a booner in my area and suddenly had “company” after all these years I’d be none too pleased.
A couple years ago I did have a camera and corn show up by my stand. Let him know I wasn’t tickled and I guess he left or ?

You don't realize how accurate this statement you made is. One could skip all 600+ posts in this thread and read that sentence and be caught up on the entire thing, no matter what deer we're talking about. That's how it is hunting metro. You do not post trail pics of giant deer on GON, text photos, social media, etc or you will have company. I have seen it happen first hand, from individuals mentioned in this thread.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Hold on a minute “the deer” doesn’t become yours until you kill it. I don’t care who all fed it for the past decade. We cannot control that.
Otherwise it is free to roam in front of anyone it chooses.
If you bought the deer then you never hunted for it.
They owe nobody any video that I know of.

As for the rest of this I’m on the fence so I’m currently keeping myself quiet and just waiting till I know more rather than cry over any spilled milk.
It’s not my place to judge anyone and until I hunt with the guys or meet more of them I couldn’t care much less.
I will say this though. Not all records are legit including some of the monsters from the 60’s so I only hunt against myself and no other. I stay happy that way and sometimes beat my record.
Hunting is only what you can make of it all by yourself.
Hunt on or you can quit if you don’t like it that somebody killed YOUR DEER.

Of course they don't owe anybody the video but they said it's on video so we want to see it. That's all I'm saying. The video would either shut everyone up or give us a good laugh.

shooterinthefeild3

This whole kill has gotten more media than the oj Simpson case. The man killed a deer legally. And people still can't seem to let it be.

fountain

I understand they want the publicity and are trying to get their name in the "industry", but the worst thing he could have done was to get in contact with the guys on face book and the guy that supposedly fed the deer.
It would have gotten plenty of publicity without the confrontations there, and likely less negative that way

Drew

So if I am on hot fishing spot wearing the spawning crappie out and I and leave said spot for a moment to get more bait only to return seconds later and find a fella in my spot catching "my fish" in "my spot", am I entitled to be upset about this scenario or just regretful that I did not have my bait next me so I did not lose my spot? We have always had had a name for this behavior which I will not post, but many of us have experienced it and are not in favor of this methodology.

Dustin

So if I am on hot fishing spot wearing the spawning crappie out and I and leave said spot for a moment to get more bait only to return seconds later and find a fella in my spot catching "my fish" in "my spot", am I entitled to be upset about this scenario or just regretful that I did not have my bait next me so I did not lose my spot? We have always had had a name for this behavior which I will not post, but many of us have experienced it and are not in favor of this methodology.

Regretful you didn't have more bait... how would anyone have known you were ever coming back?

Drew

Correct

Regretful you didn't have more bait... how would anyone have known you were ever coming back?

No one would know if I was coming back or not unless they knew my favorite way of fishing was actually not bank fishing for spawning crappie but that it is actually Trolling instead.

ScottA

I read Duncan Dobie's article in GON. While I respect Duncan as a hunter and have enjoyed his articles and books, after reading his article, I still have an uneasy feeling about the killing of this buck and how these guys hunt in general. I don't care what anyone says, a buck that lives in this suburban environment is used to the smells and sounds associated with houses, vehicles, and people. No matter which way the wind is blowing, the buck is going to smell scents associated with man; and therefore is easier to hunt than a buck in the wild. I see this in my own backyard. I am able to approach deer in my backyard and get pretty darn close before they bolt. Try that close on my lease or in any rural environment. I have also watched these guys' videos. There is something unsettling about seeing them slipping through someone's front yard, bow in hand, blood trailing a deer. What they are doing may be legal, but in my opinion it isn't ethical.

Hunter922

I read Duncan Dobie's article in GON. While I respect Duncan as a hunter and have enjoyed his articles and books, after reading his article, I still have an uneasy feeling about the killing of this buck and how these guys hunt in general.
Agree. The GON Mag drives groups like this with articles and pub. one of the main reasons I'm not a GON subscriber any longer. Would much rather it have articles on actual hunting. Love Woody's but the mag has lost my interest.

Long Cut

Although I'd never want to deal with some ticked off middle aged woman for shooting deer behind her neighbors house.. I'd be interested in seeing the Seek One boys kill a mature buck on public land, with a bow. Just to see if our definitions of "difficult" and "deer hunting" mean one in the same.

Triple C

Although I'd never want to deal with some ticked off middle aged woman for shooting deer behind her neighbors house.. I'd be interested in seeing the Seek One boys kill a mature buck on public land, with a bow. Just to see if our definitions of "difficult" and "deer hunting" mean one in the same.

Long Cut...Of course they wouldn't be the same. They would never make it to 5yrs old or older 95% of the time. They'd be shot when they are 6 months old up to 2.5 yrs old. 3.5 and older would be as rare as finding a needle in a haystack in most of GA.

No different on my place. We watch beautiful 2.5 yr old bucks (teenagers) and think what it would be like to actually encounter a 5.5 or older majestic, fully mature buck in the wild. It doesn't happen. 7 seasons of passing young bucks we've taken only one 4 yr old buck. And no bucks the past 2 seasons. Plenty of 2.5 yr olds and a couple of 3.5 yr olds passed this year but same as the other years...they get whacked or shot the following year when they visit other properties. No complaints...that's part of the process here in GA.

I have hunted Alpharetta suburban bucks in years past. And guess what...they jump out of their skin at the first hint of human scent behind the houses. I thought the same thing at first...easy to kill cause everyday the smell and hear humans. WRONG! They bolted the instant they saw movement or detected smell.

More power to those guys that are able to secure one of the very few places in GA where they can actually hunt an adult male deer instead of babies or teenagers.

Long Cut

Long Cut...Of course they wouldn't be the same. They would never make it to 5yrs old or older 95% of the time. They'd be shot when they are 6 months old up to 2.5 yrs old. 3.5 and older would be as rare as finding a needle in a haystack in most of GA.

No different on my place. We watch beautiful 2.5 yr old bucks (teenagers) and think what it would be like to actually encounter a 5.5 or older majestic, fully mature buck in the wild. It doesn't happen. 7 seasons of passing young bucks we've taken only one 4 yr old buck. And no bucks the past 2 seasons. Plenty of 2.5 yr olds and a couple of 3.5 yr olds passed this year but same as the other years...they get whacked or shot the following year when they visit other properties. No complaints...that's part of the process here in GA..

I'm not saying mature bucks on public land are behind every tree but they are out there. Seen plenty of 4-6YO Bucks aged by State Biologists being harvested off of Quota & Check In hunts. Seen several in person and on trail cameras, killing them is another story..

I'm sorry to hear about your property, but that's not always the case. It's sadly too common, but not always the case.