Best .22 magnum for varmits

rayjay

I would try the Winchester 40 gr HP. The premium stuff, not the white box.

deast1988

Id try Speer gold dots, somewhere I read they are known to expand retain an Drive deep. I think they are self defense but a very reputable bullet loaded in the .22mag

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
CCI jacketed softpoints. The Hornady V-Max works pretty well too, but sometimes doesn't penetrate well.

bullgator

If your of the high velocity way of thinking, then the 30 grain solid copper hp such as CCI and Winchester have would hold together better. If you believe in a heavy bullet for penetration then Federal makes a 50 grain that may be the ticket.

pdsniper

The Federal premium hollow point is devastating on them but I would not shoot a Coyote much farther than a 100 yrds with a 22 mag or they will run off if that matters to you but anything inside of that it does real well if the shot placement is good

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Federal premium hollow point is devastating on them but I would not shoot a Coyote much farther than a 100 yrds with a 22 mag or they will run off if that matters to you but anything inside of that it does real well if the shot placement is good

Yotes are tough. Almost every one I have ever shot has run off, sometimes for a long ways. And that's including shooting them with a .30/06, .300WM, and 7.62x39. Basically cleaned out completely inside, but they keep going.

jmoser

My Ruger 77/22 likes the Remington 33 gr polymer tipped. I like the Federal 50 gr in my Single Six since velocity is so much lower out of the 5.5" bbl.