Oconee River

61BelAir

I've only been once. Kayaked from Blackshear Ferry down to the HWY 80 Bridge. That's about 5 miles. I caught 2 bowfin and some bass. Not many and not big. It was the middle of a HOT late summer day and the river was low, so not the best fishing conditions. Also I missed out on a lot of fishing because I was paddling with others who weren't fishing at all. It was still a fun trip. I would recommend getting out about a mile shorter at the Boat Ramp Road Park off Buckeye Road as there is really no where good to exit at the bridge. There is another ramp off Brickyard Landing RD. It's about 4 1/2 miles below the one off Buckeye RD. The ramp @ Blackshear Ferry is on the west bank.....the other two are on the east.

Walkee 68

I went yesterday and caught 5 channel cats fairly quick at the first 3 or 4 holes we hit. After that... nothing... barely got a bite the rest of the day. A few weeks ago set some some lines and caught 11 good ones. An old man that lives down the road set lines for two mornings last week and caught 9. He said two of the channel cats weighed over 10.

61BelAir

Apparently I don't know how to fish the river. Been several times this year and haven't caught anything.

What kind(s) of fish have you been targeting and what stretches of the river? We haven't been since around November, but it's warming up fast and we'll be out there soon now that the days are longer.

61BelAir

I haven't been down quite that far yet. I'd be looking at deeper holes on the backside of sharp bends and also anywhere that creeks dump into the river. I haven't catfished on the Oconee much, but when I did the results were always great or terrible. Either they were biting great and we caught a bunch or they weren't biting at all. Finding bream was always easy. Finding bream that were big...not so much.

Latest posts