Ocmulgee River below Juliette Dam General Information Request

cddogfan1

Spontaneous trip has us renting a house this weekend on the Ocmulgee river below the Juliette Dam. I have a 1652 (16') G3 with a 60 hp prop outboard non tunnel. I can see on google earth right below the dam is a rock shoal. What about on down river from there, on google earth I don't see any shoals where out rental house it. It that stretch of river decent to navigate. I am pretty experienced with 20 years on the Oconee. Just never ventured over there. Catfishing there decent? Limb Lines? Flatheads?

paulito

I used to wade fish the shoals below the dam a juliette a lot during college WAY back in the day. Lots of fun catching bass until the gar started running up river. We floated the river from there down to Macon one summer and man was that a mistake. took forever. All i remember is the river being VERY shallow especially the closer you get to Macon.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
It's rocky beyond running a boat at the 16 bridge. And I bet the water is super low.

killerv

Hope you have insurance on that thing. No way it would work. Gonna be beat to heck and back. We owned a cabin below the dam and still have friends that do. I don't even like putting a nice canoe in it if we know its gonna be low. There is a ramp below the 18 bridge you could probably put in that a little deeper but you are gonna be stuck between the shoals above it and shoals below it.

If it were me, I'd grab some kayaks or a canoe, put in below the dam, and fish all the way to the ramp (Popes Ferry I think its called) below the 18 bridge and have someone pick you up when done. Pack you a lunch, hang out on some rocks some. Great fishing in that stretch and beautiful also.

Last edited:

dslc6487

Also, the closer you get to Macon, you had better watch out for all of the homeless that are living close to the water. Some have good intentions, some don't.......just saying..

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Haven’t been below the lake but fished between Jackson and the lake quite a bit. I’ve waded ankle deep water and drug my kayak long stretches in that section.

killerv

Also, the closer you get to Macon, you had better watch out for all of the homeless that are living close to the water. Some have good intentions, some don't.......just saying..
I think the gators have solved some of that