Mullet Fishing in the Altamaha

Walkee 68

I was just wondering if anybody knows how good they are biting and if there is any moss growing in the river yet.

flatheadfisherman

This is the latest report I have seen:

Altamaha River – The river is falling out, but catfishing effort was tops on the river this week, and folks were catching decent numbers. It won’t be long before the mullet bite picks up if the river keeps falling. Connie at Jaycee Landing Bait and Tackle (912-588-9222) reported that a some bream, shellcrackers, and mullet were caught along with quite a few catfish. The river level was 3.9 feet and falling (84 degrees) at the Baxley gage, and 5.7 feet and falling at the Doctortown gage on Tuesday evening.

Bream Pole

haven't heard of any moss. River has been up and down and muddy a lot of summer. Not conditions for moss. Get moss when it is clear and low. It is rising rapidly this weekend. It is around 64.8 feet now and Prediction is for around 68.2 by Monday and the water is not clear. The following is good reliable site to get a read on the river.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=jax&gage=BAXG1

Walkee 68

Well Saturday the river had moss in it and the mullet wouldnt bite. They gathered up but would not bite. I guess the river had just got clear enough for moss to start growing but I guess after this week it will be washed out.

Nuttin Better

What kind of bait and rigs do you use to fish for mullet? I got a mullet hole at a place in South Carolina that we use Treble hooks to snag them with but I have always wanted to try and catch them with a baited hook.

Bream Pole

yeah a friend told me today that moss had suddenly appeared. He is a shell cracker, bream fisherman and is really really good and he said he has had a horrible year. Can't locate the fish

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
In the past I fished the Oconee for mullet ever once in a while. We used that green moss that grows on the brick down in the well for bait.

What do ya`ll use for mullet nowadays?

Walkee 68

We use pinks and red wrigglers for bait. Sometimes there will be a bunch there and they wont bite so we do snatch them as you stated. We usually just use single hooks though. I have heard of using moss for bait but I dont know how to make it stay on the hook.