Perssimon Tree

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I planted 4 Japanese persimmons and the deer love them.They hold late into Dec for me.

ucfireman

I have a question about regular American persimmon trees. I have 2 mature trees that have a sparse canopy. I know some trees will sprout from the stalk if you cut it at say 4 feet from the ground. Do persimmons do this or will they just respout from the roots? I want to cut the top off, let it regrow (hopefully denser) from the stalk at about 4 feet. Sound doable? Or should I just cut it to the ground and pick a strong sprout?

Forest Grump

I have a question about regular American persimmon trees. I have 2 mature trees that have a sparse canopy. I know some trees will sprout from the stalk if you cut it at say 4 feet from the ground. Do persimmons do this or will they just respout from the roots? I want to cut the top off, let it regrow (hopefully denser) from the stalk at about 4 feet. Sound doable? Or should I just cut it to the ground and pick a strong sprout?

If they fruit well, I would just do some branch pruning (hedge cuts, removal of non productive wood, water sprouts, etc...). Make sure there is good light reaching all the leafy parts & maybe just a scoche of fertilizer before it leafs out in spring.

If they don't fruit & aren't in too much shade you could cut them at eye level & graft productive wood next spring, as NCHillbilly demonstrated in a previous thread earlier this summer.

Cutting them back to the ground is the last thing you should do: it might take 10-20 years for them to fruit again. Persimmon will more commonly root copse when you cut it at the root crown anyway.

I would recommend cutting it off at about 5 or 6 feet in the DEAD OF WINTER when the tree is as dried up and dormant as it'll be all year. If you do that the tree will come roaring back in the spring. Don't expect fruit the year you do it but the next year should be heavier than what your getting now.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Are they male trees, or female?

In response to the OP, yes. Persimmons are like crack cocaine to deer. There are very few things that will draw deer better than persimmons. I would rather have one good producing female persimmon tree than fifty acres of food plots, myself.

ryanh487

Clear any other plant life from under it's canopy and hit it with 10/10/10 in late February. Lack of competition and plenty of nutrients will make a difference.

ucfireman

They both are female. They do have persimmons on them now as well as tons of caterpillars. They just have sparse limbs, both are around 20-25 ft, 1 in full sun and 1 get good sun just not full sun. Ill try to get a pic in the next few days. I have not fertilized them, I just want more tips and leaves.
If I prune the limb tips will they branch more?

ucfireman

Also Ive had decent crops in the past just not this year. Do yall think the late freeze could have knocked the fruit back some?

ucfireman

Finally got pics.
1 and 2 is the 1 I want to cut back about 4-5ft high and let regrow from there.
3-4 is the younger 1 that is in full sun just not as thick as I want, try fertilizer in the spring.
Pic 5 is one down the street that was cut to the ground about 4-5 years and is super thick and loaded with fruit.
Any input on what to do with the tall one? It gets great morning and midday sun then shade late around 4-5 pm.

ucfireman

pics

pics

Attachments

• DSCF4380.jpg
    DSCF4380.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 1,326
  • DSCF4381.jpg
    DSCF4381.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 1,325
  • DSCF4383.jpg
    DSCF4383.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 1,330
  • DSCF4385.jpg
    DSCF4385.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 1,329
  • DSCF4386.jpg
    DSCF4386.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 1,322

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like just some fall webworms ate up a lot of the leaves. It shouldn't hurt them at all. I WOULD NOT cut those two big trees back. It will take you ten-fifteen years to regain what you cut off. They may be loaded next year.

Forest Grump

Agreed. I wouldn't touch those trees. Any area can have an off year, & this year we had crazy weather: I had a Wickson apple re-blooming last week, it was so confused.

Even your thin one is a decent persimmon. As long as it bears, who cares how many leaves it has? I wish my foresters would leave me some half as good. If caterpillars cleaned you out, next year may be totally different.

The one suggestion I have for you is KILL THAT GRASS UNDER THE DRIPLINE. (Sorry for yelling :bounce:)
Grass is THE worst competition for any tree. Even one like persimmon that seems to grow in the worst soils; grass is robbing any nutrients or moisture before it reaches the tree roots. Kill the grass, mulch to conserve moisture, & if you want add a little balanced fertilizer in late winter.

ucfireman

Agreed. I wouldn't touch those trees. Any area can have an off year, & this year we had crazy weather: I had a Wickson apple re-blooming last week, it was so confused.

Agreed I have figs putting on new figs now. The worms have en bad the last 2 years, still fruit well so I guess Ill listen to yall and just fertilize. Use the typical triple 10 at 10bs per inch of trunk?

rospaw

Help me out
Have 5 30' plus persimmons trees in my front yard/pasture.
How do i know what kind they are and if m/f. Can post pic in the morning. All are busting with fruit and WERE covered in caterpillar.
(kid and i took the caterpillars out and fed the fish!)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If they were growing there naturally, they are the native American persimmon. If they have fruit on them, they are females.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on where you are and the individual tree, they will usually drop anywhere from late September-mid November. They don't all fall at once, so a loaded tree is a deer magnet for a good while.