Thoughts on this year summer plot

sghoghunter

My plot here at my house is around 1/2 ac. I’ve been thinking about planting corn and peas mixed in the same row then broadcasting white clover after planting corn and peas. Thought about corn and sunflowers also.

Attachments

• IMG_2031.jpeg
    IMG_2031.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 24

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Corn doesn't like competition when growing, be it from weeds or any other plants. So close to your house, you'll have every racoon, squirrel, rat and mouse come visit that plot, along with deer and turkey.

Sunflowers, if you have any deer at all, may get eaten as soon as the emerge, with just a 1/2 acre

Wrong time of the year (at least in GA) to plant white clover and have it survive the heat of the summer.

Is this something you want to plant to feed deer thru the summer and have a fall hunting spot? Or just something to feed the deer?

Attachments

• Top 10 summer food plots2.JPG
    Top 10 summer food plots2.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 14
  • Warm season seed.JPG
    Warm season seed.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 14

sghoghunter

Corn doesn't like competition when growing, be it from weeds or any other plants. So close to your house, you'll have every racoon, squirrel, rat and mouse come visit that plot, along with deer and turkey.

Sunflowers, if you have any deer at all, may get eaten as soon as the emerge, with just a 1/2 acre

Wrong time of the year (at least in GA) to plant white clover and have it survive the heat of the summer.

Is this something you want to plant to feed deer thru the summer and have a fall hunting spot? Or just something to feed the deer?

It’s half for whatever wants to eat it and other half giving me something to do in spare time. There’s not a whole pile of deer right here anymore anyway. I usually plant iron clays and sunflowers but was wanting to do something a lil different this year

Jim Boyd

It’s half for whatever wants to eat it and other half giving me something to do in spare time. There’s not a whole pile of deer right here anymore anyway. I usually plant iron clays and sunflowers but was wanting to do something a lil different this year

I would send you a truckload of deer if I could capture them and it was legal…..

sghoghunter

I would send you a truckload of deer if I could capture them and it was legal…..

I use to have a honey hole here till the new landowner and farmer across my back line ****ed up an old pond that’s been dry for 45 years. Took away one heck of a big bedding area

Jim Boyd

I use to have a honey hole here till the new landowner and farmer across my back line ****ed up an old pond that’s been dry for 45 years. Took away one heck of a big bedding area

I’ve got one I want to fill up but don’t know much about ponds.

sghoghunter

I’ve got one I want to fill up but don’t know much about ponds.

Take my advice on this one. When you fix it to hold water make sure there’s good drainage around creeks or ditch’s cause beavers will get in and back up water on their side,don’t even ask about all them problems

sportsman94

I have never tried growing corn with anything besides more corn and all mine has been done on a garden scale. With that said, I’ve seen some interesting photos of someone planting wide rows of corn with cover crops and/or beans in the middles. Some of these cover crops and regenerative ag guys have some cool stuff, but i have no real world experience

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have about a 10 acre field that I’m getting ready to plant now . Gonna try corn, sorghum and a forage soybean . Not gonna mix it together though , maybe 4 rows of each then repeat

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’ve grown them together. Been reading this and held off til now.
Google corn growing with peas.

Peas - are another legume that fixes nitrogen in the soil, making it a perfect corn companion plant. Peas are planted as early as possible in spring, while corn is not planted until the soil is warm. Plant corn seeds directly in the pea patch to glean their nitrogen and save space.

I’ve broad casted and harrowed like a plot before. Did great.

sghoghunter

Peas - are another legume that fixes nitrogen in the soil, making it a perfect corn companion plant. Peas are planted as early as possible in spring, while corn is not planted until the soil is warm. Plant corn seeds directly in the pea patch to glean their nitrogen and save space.

I’ve mixed peas,corn and sunflowers quite a few times and they are perfect IMO to plant together. Here they hit the sunflowers about 6 inches or so then they don’t usually bother the peas too much till they start blooming and they’re already tall enough that they can stand the browsing. Then the corn is for later on in the year. When I’ve done it in the past I just broadcast it and got the corn to thick but this year I’m going to use my Covington planter.

Canuck5

Really not a bad plan. Legumes (early maturing) release their nitrogen when they have reached maturity and dying, and it becomes available to the "corn" within 30 days or so. To maximum corn yield, it really needs about 1 pound of nitrogen to generate 1 bushel of corn to the acre (just an old rule of thumb).

Corn can and will grow anywhere (and here I go back to my days on the farm, LOL), but to maximize it's yield, it needs water and nitrogen .... and a few other things.

Farmers are toying with planting corn into clover, by either working a narrow strip of clover up or spraying a narrow strip of clover with glyphosate, to plant into. I know Pennington seed was working on that. Therefore the corn gets to use the clovers nitrogen.

But, I digress .... farmers have to make money ..... LOL .... we are trying to feed deer and not raise a crop .....

Attachments

• Corn in clover.JPG
    Corn in clover.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 11

Canuck5

Plant clover in the fall and get yourself a beehive or 2! That'll keep you busy! :)

NMH5050

I have about a 10 acre field that I’m getting ready to plant now . Gonna try corn, sorghum and a forage soybean . Not gonna mix it together though , maybe 4 rows of each then repeat
I planted 5 acres of forage soybeans last year and once they came up the deer ate them all. Not one came up. I'm going to try sunhemp, sorghum, and corn this year.

sghoghunter

I planted 5 acres of forage soybeans last year and once they came up the deer ate them all. Not one came up. I'm going to try sunhemp, sorghum, and corn this year.

That’s why I like peas better than beans. They nip off the bean it’s done and most the time the peas will keep growing