NASCAR for sale

alphachief

I gave up on NASCAR when Richard Petty retired.

Too funny...me too. Just like I gave up the NBA when Larry Bird retired and really haven't watched a Braves game since Chipper left for hunt camp.

Patriot44

Banned
Television glamor has had a lot to do with it. I remember wrenching on Go Carts in the late 80's listening to NASCAR on the radio and getting pumped before running some practice.

My uncle and his friends would line them up and run some 20 lappers and I was the flag boy. I also was the tractor buy and watered down the track. The good ole days of DW, Petty and Earnhardt. Davey too. :cool:

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I enjoy going to Talladega and watching the super speedways and short tracks on TV but the rest of it...meh

poohbear

In the old days they would lean on each other to make a pass and if you leaned too much it usually resulted in a fight in the pits, they governed their selves , but today they get a penalty , not exiting at all. Let them run with what they brung and hash out problems and it will bring exitment back.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Empty seats at Indy yesterday.

Cook&Bro

I completely stopped following it when they went to the COT.

Bring back "stock cars."

The fact that they still maintain "brand allegiance" when they are all driving the same car is ridiculous.

Exactly.

The move comes as NASCAR grapples with an aging fan base, stricter safety rules and a competitive media landscape that have weighed on its popularity and made it less attractive to advertisers and sponsors.

Failed to mention ... boring.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I think NASCAR could succeed if they did one simple thing.

Went back to their roots and drug the cars right off of the show room floor, modified their interior for safety, beef up the stock manufacturer engines and let em rip.

Outside of that simple fix that the France family will never do, John Malone, owner of Formula 1 racing should buy them and make the appropriate adjustments.

Buckman18

I'm not even a fan, but I've watched the decline of NASCAR with a morbid curiosity, as one watches one the big pile-ups on the track.

NASCAR's eyes lit up with dollar signs back in the, what was it, late 90's and early 2000's when all the yuppies and celebrities suddenly showed interest. Instead of recognizing this as a passing fad and a financial windfall, NASCAR closes a bunch of smaller traditional Southern tracks and expands into areas of the country which traditionally don't have a large NASCAR fan base

Then they start messing around with the points system and such, apparently angering many people.

Finally, technology has hurt, too. A NASCAR car today more closely resembles a fighter aircraft in technology than the cars Richard Petty drove. In some ways that's a good thing, in others, bad.

NASCAR alienated it's core fan-base in favor of some fancy johnny-come-lately's and has paid the price.

This. And none of the drivers have an individual identity. They are all little politicians regurgitating PC corporate stump speeches... NASCAR is a redneck sport, but they forgot that long ago.

Looks like Trump is going to have to Make NASCAR Great Again.

across the river

I think NASCAR could succeed if they did one simple thing.

Went back to their roots and drug the cars right off of the show room floor, modified their interior for safety, beef up the stock manufacturer engines and let em rip.

Outside of that simple fix that the France family will never do, John Malone, owner of Formula 1 racing should buy them and make the appropriate adjustments.

Honestly, I think has way more to do with the drivers than the cars. Dale Sr, Waltrip, Junior Johnson, Petty, etc.... all had big personalities. Even Bobby Labonte, and Dale Jarret had enough "neck" in them that people would follow them. Everyone had a "driver" they rooted for, so you tuned in or went to the race to pull for "your" driver. In the mid 90's everyone pulled against Jeff Gordon, because he was the pretty boy metrosexual guy that could really race. No one wanted to see Gordon beat their good l'boy, and everyone hated to see him win, which he did a lot. Now they are all Jeff Gordon clones. When Dale Sr. and Waltrip wrecked each there you believed they were going to fight whether they did or not. That was good T.V. It kept you on the edge of your seat. Does anyone even believe slightly believe Joey Longano and Austin Dillion are going to even slap fight if they wreck each other? No. The drivers are just way too cookie cutter and corporate nowadays, and they get swapped out all of the time for new guys. The traditional fans that always had a "driver" haven't found a replacement for the ones who no longer race, and the new guys don't have the personality, or aren't allowed to express it in a manner to draw in new fans. It doesn't matter what car they drive, if people don't have a "team" to pull for, it just isn't that interesting.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Honestly, I think has way more to do with the drivers than the cars. Dale Sr, Waltrip, Junior Johnson, Petty, etc.... all had big personalities. Even Bobby Labonte, and Dale Jarret had enough "neck" in them that people would follow them. Everyone had a "driver" they rooted for, so you tuned in or went to the race to pull for "your" driver. In the mid 90's everyone pulled against Jeff Gordon, because he was the pretty boy metrosexual guy that could really race. No one wanted to see Gordon beat their good l'boy, and everyone hated to see him win, which he did a lot. Now they are all Jeff Gordon clones. When Dale Sr. and Waltrip wrecked each there you believed they were going to fight whether they did or not. That was good T.V. It kept you on the edge of your seat. Does anyone even believe slightly believe Joey Longano and Austin Dillion are going to even slap fight if they wreck each other? No. The drivers are just way too cookie cutter and corporate nowadays, and they get swapped out all of the time for new guys. The traditional fans that always had a "driver" haven't found a replacement for the ones who no longer race, and the round guys don't have the personality, or aren't allowed to express it in a manner to draw in new fans. It don't matter what car they drive, if people don't have a "team" to pull for, t just isn't that interesting.

The drivers didn't institute restrictor plates and other regulations that made the cars virtual clones of each other and nothing resembling the manufacturer they were suppose to represent.

Today's drivers are merely a reflection of the corporate butt kissing and over regulations the France family has done over the decades to keep their hands in the game.

I had the good fortune to assist two different NASCAR families back in the day. The Bonnett's and the Allison's and by virtue of that I was exposed to many other of their associated friends / drivers. Yes they were big personalities. No, they didn't have to put up with anything in regulations and car type near what today's drivers do. Today's drivers are a product of NASCAR, not the other way around.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
It is not any one thing but several factors and most but not all of them were brought forth by the younger France. The Cookie cutter, cars, tracks and drivers, the endless juggling with the rules, the attention span of the millennials, the aging of the base and NASCAR trying to control every single nut and bole that goes into these car. I am an old time fan from the early 60's and the innovation that the car builders brought to the sport back then were unbelievable. Let some try that now and they are penalized out of the chase.