How I Spent my Friday by NCHillbilly (warning: lots of sneks!)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've been in a very busy time at work, and dealing with serious health issues with my elderly mom lately. I really, badly needed a bit of back-in-the-mountains-alone time in the worst way. So I headed back into the Smokies yesterday morning to see if I could find just that.

The bigger streams here are still high and mostly unwade-able and nearly unfishable from the torrential rains over the last week, so I decided to hike back into a tiny little creek that I haven't fished since I was a teenager. I didn't really care if the fish were there or not, as long as I was there.

Breakfast of champions:

biscuit.jpg

Off the pavement and onto the gravel. Found this 6' black rat snake crossing the road:

blacksnake1.jpg

blacksnake2.jpg

A couple miles further along, and I spied this mama grouse out for a walk with her chicks:

grouse.jpg

A trail. Let's see what's up it:

trail.jpg

This cliff is somewhere around a hundred feet high:

cliff.jpg

Found some ancient Mayan ruins:

ruins2.jpg

Actually, it's a giant chimney at least 40 feet tall, made from dry-stacked rock. Several people could sleep in the fireplace. It's all that remains of a big lodge that operated here back at the turn of the last century.

ruins1.jpg

I was walking on up the the trail, looking up and admiring the giant old trees, when I looked back down and saw that I was about to put my foot down on this:

yellowrattler1.jpg

This was an old, beautiful yellow-phase mountain timber rattler with thirteen rattles and a button. He was about five feet long, and about as big around as my wrist in the middle. He was very calm and docile, like most timber rattlers. He stayed stretched out across the trail until I finally shooed him off so I could walk by. He protested a little bit, coiled up and shook his rattle a little bit a few times, then crawled off into the rhododendrons.

yellowrattler2.jpg

I walked until I could hear water, and then cut off down the mountainside into the hollow. There at the bottom was this little creek:

creek1.jpg

creek2.jpg

creek3.jpg

It's tiny, and mostly tunneled with rhododendrons, crossed with deadfall trees, and has a high gradient. The creek mostly consists of little plunge pools separated by waterfalls anywhere from a foot to thirty feet in height.

Let's see if anyone's home.

First cast into the first pool:

bow1.jpg

I fished on up the creek, and almost every pool yielded one or two pretty little rainbows:

bow4.jpg

bow2.jpg

bow3.jpg

The little trout were plentiful and hitting my fly greedily. There for a couple or three hours, I found exactly what I came for-everything ceased to exist except for me, the stream, the woods, the trout, and the moist, green, living, breathing landscape around me. No people, no cellphone reception, just the woods and the flowing water.

I worked the little creek for about a mile, until it became even smaller and rougher. Eventually, I was spending twenty minutes wriggling through tangles of rhododendron, dog hobble and stinging nettles; and climbing over cliffs and deadfalls for every five minutes of fishing. I decided to grade back up the mountainside to the trail.

As I walked through the woods, I noticed this in my path:

blackrattler1.jpg

A pretty black-phase mountain timber rattler. This one did not want to be my friend at all. As soon as I bent down and pointed the camera at it, it immediately flew into a coil, and sung loudly and continuously at me for ten minutes, bluff-striking every time I leaned in to take a pic. This one was probably the most aggressive, ill-natured timber rattler I've ever encountered in decades of stomping through the woods. I have no doubt he would have bitten me if I had given him the chance. The black ones are usually more short-tempered than the yellow ones, but this one must have been having an especially bad day.

blackrattler2.jpg

I hiked back out to the trail, and back down to the truck. I stopped at another little creek on the way home that I haven't fished in several years.

creek4.jpg

The sky was getting dark, and thunder was rumbling; but before the afternoon thunder-washer hit, I managed to catch a pair of fat, heavy browns, one 12", the other 13".

brown1.jpg

These had both begun life in a cement pond, and taken a ride on a hatchery truck to get to the water; but they both had sense enough to make a long journey of escape upstream from the murky lower stocked reaches of this stream to a better life in cleaner, faster, wilder waters. They put a good bend in the little 3-weight, especially with the current from the high water. I finally netted the 13-incher three plunge pools down from the one I hooked him in.

brown2.jpg

By the time I got him landed, big raindrops were splatting down, the breeze was turning the leaves over showing their silvery undersides, and thunder was rumbling ominously. So, regretfully, I headed back out to the pavement and home, my eyes still watching the mountains through the windshield wipers and maze of raindrops running down the side windows. I was physically exhausted, but I felt like a completely different man than the tensed-up guy who had first climbed in the truck early in the morning.

People in the city hire therapists and psychiatrists and spend money on spas and resorts. I suspect all they really need is just a little back-in-the-mountains-alone time. It works wonders. The only drawback is that the mountains put a spell on you, and keep drawing you back into them. Wherever I am, whatever I'm doing, my eyes are usually still fixed on the mountains.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Looks like some fun brother...... except them snakes I could do without the rattley ones.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Very nice outing. Your yellow rattler looks real similar to some of ours down here, but ours always have that brown stripe down the back. I`d love to see a black phase. Nice fish, nice area, no people, plenty to keep you on your toes, what more could a man ask for?

Enjoyed to the pics and story. :cheers:

Cmp1

BANNED
I'm telling you, NC is the place to be,,,, beautiful pics and trout,,,, you're truly blessed,,,,

rutnbuk

I spent the day on a river yesterday. I am on the NC line today just resting. I got some back straps marinating and the grill warming, I got Jeremiah Johnson in the DVD player, and I just read an awesome short story with great pics thanks to you Hillbilly. My day is complete! Glad you found some alone time- thanks for sharing!!

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
GLad you got the rest and recovery you needed, prayers for your Mom

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice outing. Your yellow rattler looks real similar to some of ours down here, but ours always have that brown stripe down the back. I`d love to see a black phase. Nice fish, nice area, no people, plenty to keep you on your toes, what more could a man ask for?

Enjoyed to the pics and story. :cheers:

The yaller ones like that always have nearly the last foot of their tail colored nearly solid black. Hardly ever see one with a back stripe here.

whitetailfreak

Nice pics, and good read. I'm off for a week starting Thursday, and plan on doing much of the same.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I keep getting drawn to salt water........I need a mountain trip though........maybe with you and Nic and Charlie......blanton's on me..great read and pics......

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I keep getting drawn to salt water........I need a mountain trip though........maybe with you and Nic and Charlie......blanton's on me..great read and pics......

I'm ready whenever you and Nic and Charlie are.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

In this day and time it`s easier to get a camel through the eye of a needle, and a yankee into Heaven, than to get me to commit to anything, but you know how to contact me. :)

onedude

Great trip! Enjoyed the story. Is it common to see lots of rattlesnakes in the mountains?
Doug
Jn 3:16

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Man what a great day to forget everything , beautiful pictures , really like the grouse and the chimney and the snakes , prayers for your mom , great story , thanks for taking us along !

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yea, Steve, my thoughts and prayers for your Mama. Hope all will be well.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I had a great day fishing through the lens of your camera and words. Years ago one of the hook and bullet mags did an article on trout fishing Australia in a snake infested area. The upshot was that there was a stream with a sign reading "snakes" at the trail entrance and the locals avoided fishing there due to their aggressive nature. A visitor ignored the sign and met his end fishing. I, too, have an elderly mother. My thoughts are with you and yours. Gil

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Great pics and a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing your day with us. I felt as though I was along with you. Your Mom is in my Prayers Brother.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, y'all. Mom is 85 now, but she's a very tough old mountain lady of the generation who grew up on a subsistence farm in the Depression. She may outlive all of us, and I hope she does.

Great trip! Enjoyed the story. Is it common to see lots of rattlesnakes in the mountains?
Doug
Jn 3:16

Yes, some places are absolutely infested with them, and in a few places, there are almost none. I have never seen one in the holler I live in, for example. But in many places they are very common.

There are lots of copperheads, too, but you hardly ever see one of them above about 3,500' elevation. The rattlesnakes, though, will range up over 6,000' elevation to the tops of the highest peaks. I don't see as many rattlesnakes in general as I used to back 25-30 years ago. NC has timber rattlers listed as a species of special concern now, and it's illegal to kill one. They are, of course, also protected inside the GSMNP. You can't kill anything in the park except five trout a day. :)

Man what a great day to forget everything , beautiful pictures , really like the grouse and the chimney and the snakes , prayers for your mom , great story , thanks for taking us along !

The grouse with babies isn't a very common sight any more, unfortunately. These mountains used to be absolutely full of grouse, (I used to could flush half a dozen in a short walk behind my house, and the roads would be standing full of them pecking grit,) but they have disappeared at an alarming rate the last couple decades. They seem to be getting a little more common the last few years, though. I've seen more grouse in the last two years than I did in the last decade, probably. I'm hearing one drumming now and then, too.

After I took the pic, mama grouse started doing the dragging-the-wing thing until her babies got off into the weeds, pretty cool to watch.

Cmp1

BANNED
Thanks, y'all. Mom is 85 now, but she's a very tough old mountain lady of the generation who grew up on a subsistence farm in the Depression. She may outlive all of us, and I hope she does.

Yes, some places are absolutely infested with them, and in a few places, there are almost none. I have never seen one in the holler I live in, for example. But in many places they are very common.

There are lots of copperheads, too, but you hardly ever see one of them above about 3,500' elevation. The rattlesnakes, though, will range up over 6,000' elevation to the tops of the highest peaks. I don't see as many rattlesnakes in general as I used to back 25-30 years ago. NC has timber rattlers listed as a species of special concern now, and it's illegal to kill one. They are, of course, also protected inside the GSMNP. You can't kill anything in the park except five trout a day. :)

The grouse with babies isn't a very common sight any more, unfortunately. These mountains used to be absolutely full of grouse, (I used to could flush half a dozen in a short walk behind my house, and the roads would be standing full of them pecking grit,) but they have disappeared at an alarming rate the last couple decades. They seem to be getting a little more common the last few years, though. I've seen more grouse in the last two years than I did in the last decade, probably. I'm hearing one drumming now and then, too.

After I took the pic, mama grouse started doing the dragging-the-wing thing until her babies got off into the weeds, pretty cool to watch.

I too hope your Mom is ok,,,, I'll say it again,,,, you are really blessed,,,,