Horse Nettle- Holes in leaves

C.J.

Plowed up a 3 acre field and sprayed Prowl H2O and then incorporated it into the soil. field is currently planted in sunflowers as of one week ago. Horse Nettle has been a problem in this field so we were spot spraying it and noticed most of them looked like the below pictures. Is this from the prowl? or could this be from some type of insect? Trying to avoid having an insect problem on our sunflowers.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 278
  • hn.jpg
    hn.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 279

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m gonna say it’s from the prowl , but it looks healthy otherwise , if it was an insect with that much damage it should be easy to find them !

doomtrpr_z71

Prowl damage doesn't look like that, dinitroanilines inhibt root and shoot growth, it wouldn't put holes in the leaves. Prowl won't do anything to weeds that are emerged.

Dbender

Just a guess but I'd say flea beetle. Maybe they like the nettle better than the sunflower. Might not want to spray?

C.J.

Just a guess but I'd say flea beetle. Maybe they like the nettle better than the sunflower. Might not want to spray?

the sunflowers are just now starting to sprout so they have not had a chance to touch them yet -