My 2021 Dove Field Thread

ChattBuck

Rageweed I like it lol, dual will work better but it's mainly going to just give you more control for about a week longer. None of the preemergents for sunflowers work that well on ragweed, there's one product that may get labeled in the future that might help but I'm not sure the crop safety and it takes an 1in of rain to activate. Zidua works better than dual out west but there isn't much data on it in the southeast and it ain't cheap.

As others have said the deer will eat the ragweed. But I've not seen that. My biggest issue is needing clean rows for the dove to land in. Nothing I've found is working on the ragweed and it's choking out my rows.

What we need is a roundup ready sunflower!

doomtrpr_z71

As others have said the deer will eat the ragweed. But I've not seen that. My biggest issue is needing clean rows for the dove to land in. Nothing I've found is working on the ragweed and it's choking out my rows.

I only seen one bag of them and it never went anywhere, until the anti GMO craze dies down I don't think we will see it. Basf makes a killing with Clearfields since it's not considered a GMO. We have an old jug of zidua that may be disposed of, if it does get disposed for defects you may want to try some of it.

sportsman94

ive always heard doves love ragweed when it goes to seed which ought to be right around dove time. Can you just mow the sections of the field with ragweed to the dirt?

ChattBuck

ive always heard doves love ragweed when it goes to seed which ought to be right around dove time. Can you just mow the sections of the field with ragweed to the dirt?

The areas with ragweed will be the first bushogged in the couple of weeks before dove season.

HAPPY DAD

I have always heard, a hoe, a strong back, and a crew of men is the only way. IDK for sure but hope I don't ever have to deal with it, but I am sure I will at some point.

ChattBuck

June 13th Update

Field really took off the past two weeks with several good rains. Will get drone shots later this week.

Note the last pic how NOTHING will grow under the shag bark hickory. Not sure if it's due to the tree pulling all the moisture from the ground or something in the plethora of decaying nut hulls. May just quit planting around it as it's a waste of seed every year.

Attachments

• DoveFieldJun13.1.jpg
    DoveFieldJun13.1.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DoveFieldJune13.2.jpg
    DoveFieldJune13.2.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DoveFieldJune13.3.jpg
    DoveFieldJune13.3.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 81
  • DoveFieldJune13.4.jpg
    DoveFieldJune13.4.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 78

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Good job!!

SakoL61R

June 13th Update

Note the last pic how NOTHING will grow under the shag bark hickory. Not sure if it's due to the tree pulling all the moisture from the ground or something in the plethora of decaying nut hulls. May just quit planting around it as it's a waste of seed every year.
Chattbuck- x2 on not planting around trees. I did it when first starting many, many years ago. Too much competition.
Up to-just outside the drip line now.

doomtrpr_z71

June 13th Update

Field really took off the past two weeks with several good rains. Will get drone shots later this week.

It's the juglone from the roots and fruit

HAPPY DAD

June 13th Update

My field edges are the sane way....... quite frustrating, as i dont have tons of fields to work with anyway

ChattBuck

Some overhead drone pics.

The more threadbare areas in the sunflowers are were I sprayed roundup between the rows. Won't make that mistake again.

The area's marked in red got replanted with millet this weekend. Retilled, put down some 19-19-19, spread seed, then ran a drag over it. Got 1-2 inches of rain within 12 hours of planting. Should do well.

Attachments

• DoveJune20.6.jpg
    DoveJune20.6.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DoveJune20.3.png
    DoveJune20.3.png
    909.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DoveJune20.2.jpg
    DoveJune20.2.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DoveJune20.7.jpg
    DoveJune20.7.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

HAPPY DAD

Some overhead drone pics.

The area's marked in red got replanted with millet this weekend. Retilled, put down some 19-19-19, spread seed, then ran a drag over it. Got 1-2 inches of rain within 12 hours of planting. Should do well.

Looks like mny hours of fun will be had brother! Nice Job

ChattBuck

Looks like mny hours of fun will be had brother! Nice Job

Sadly can't shoot opening day. My oldest son wanted a trip to see UGA/Clemson game (Sat Sept 4th) in Charlotte for his birthday. Problem is that is the same day as opening day of dove season. We won't shoot till Labor Day Monday!

Go Dawgs!

ChattBuck

Planted the millet less than 72 hours ago. Have had a lot of rain. It's already germinated and coming up like gangbusters.