My 2021 Dove Field Thread

ChattBuck

No grain sorghum or corn you could. The only thing to kill that ragweed now is to backpack it or aim ec under a hooded sprayer when the sunflowers get taller.

Thank you. I lack a hooded sprayer. So I'm back to backpacking it tonight.
I'm going to do some rows with the 24d/atrazine mix and compare to the roundup rows.

doomtrpr_z71

Zidua sc would provide suppression of ragweed but it ain't cheap......but it could be applied v1-v8 on the sunflowers.

ChattBuck

I wouldn't do that on the sunflowers, they are not tolerant of atrazine at
Atrazine is soil active and will be taken up by the roots, y'all are more than welcome to try it and prove me wrong.

I'll avoid it. Appreciate the advice

Last year all the ragweed in the field that go roundup sprayed died so I don't think it's resistant. Of course what's coming up good be a resistant strain we selected for by spraying. We'll find out in a week or so. Back at it here in about an hour.

Powerline

Ragweed provides tremendous wildlife value! I buy ragweed seed and plant it when it’s not in the seed bank. Ragweed is a “weed” you need and want the QUAIL , deer , turkeys and doves will thank you.

ChattBuck

Win some. Lose some.

I've eradicated a LOT of ragweed spraying between the rows of my sunflowers. However, I've caused a lot of damage to the sunflowers themselves. They were at the 4-6 leaf stage when I sprayed. Took great care not to spray them but I'm sure some overspray got on them and/or they took some up from the roots with the spray that hit the ground. Combined with crazy heat and no rain it took its toll.

Overall the field still looks good. But there's some rows a little rough for wear.

Not going to spray anymore ragweed at this point.

hrstille

Not much you can do at this point. Beyond is about all you can spray & it probably won't do much with ragweed. If you plant sunflowers next year, spray Spartan Charge pre-emergent & you won't have any trouble from ragweed.

doomtrpr_z71

Not much you can do at this point. Beyond is about all you can spray & it probably won't do much with ragweed. If you plant sunflowers next year, spray Spartan Charge pre-emergent & you won't have any trouble from ragweed.
Spartan charge has less efficacy than dual on ragweed, he'd be better off with dual Magnum instead of generic metolachlor.

hrstille

Spartan charge has less efficacy than dual on ragweed, he'd be better off with dual Magnum instead of generic metolachlor.
Dual Magnum is more of a grass controller. It will get some small broadleaf. Spartan Charge is intended for use on tougher broadleaf plants. I would recommend mixing dual & spartan as a pre-emergent for the best results. No help for this season but it will next year.

doomtrpr_z71

Dual Magnum is more of a grass controller. It will get some small broadleaf. Spartan Charge is intended for use on tougher broadleaf plants. I would recommend mixing dual & spartan as a pre-emergent for the best results. No help for this season but it will next year.
Spartan charge is nothing more than Spartan with aim ec added to it, it just adds a component for burndown, as a preemergent there's no difference between Spartan 4f and Spartan charge. Dual has better control of ragweed than sulfentrazone, Spartan 4f and dual would be the best tankmix but Spartan charge adds nothing. S metolachlor controls broadleaf weeds well as long as they tend to be small seeded.

ChattBuck

Update.

5/31/21 - Sprayed The Sunflower half of the field with Beyond. Should control most everything with exception of the ragweed.

Sprayed the Corn Side with roundup. Had a good bit of grasses coming up so this should put a stop to that.

6/2/21 - Added 240lbs of Nitrogen (34-0-0) to the corn half (2.5 acres) of the field. Had to wait for some forecasted rain to do this. Got about 1/4 inch or so not 3 hours after putting this out. Worked out pretty well

Was too lazy to get the drone out but here's some ground level shots. Our fake power line is noted in the sunflower shot.

Attachments

• Dove21.June2.1.jpg
    Dove21.June2.1.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 66
  • Dove21.June2.2.jpg
    Dove21.June2.2.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 65

ChattBuck

Spartan charge is nothing more than Spartan with aim ec added to it, it just adds a component for burndown, as a preemergent there's no difference between Spartan 4f and Spartan charge. Dual has better control of ragweed than sulfentrazone, Spartan 4f and dual would be the best tankmix but Spartan charge adds nothing. S metolachlor controls broadleaf weeds well as long as they tend to be small seeded.

We've done helmet/Spartan pre emergent past two years. Obviously hasn't worked on the rageweed. I'll add in the Dual Magnum next year. Got to have some relief. Thank you for the advice.

doomtrpr_z71

We've done helmet/Spartan pre emergent past two years. Obviously hasn't worked on the rageweed. I'll add in the Dual Magnum next year. Got to have some relief. Thank you for the advice.
Rageweed I like it lol, dual will work better but it's mainly going to just give you more control for about a week longer. None of the preemergents for sunflowers work that well on ragweed, there's one product that may get labeled in the future that might help but I'm not sure the crop safety and it takes an 1in of rain to activate. Zidua works better than dual out west but there isn't much data on it in the southeast and it ain't cheap.