My 2021 Dove Field Thread

ChattBuck

If it's a little much I apologize. I'm still new to this whole planting thing but I have the addiction and it's bad. Got a new toy for Christmas, a Mavic 2 drone, so I'll be able to capture my field from a different perspective as it progresses through the season. last year a buddy's kid came out a couple of times with his drone and got me some shots. Decided I needed to do it myself this time around.

This thread is basically for me to document what I do this year so I can go back and view it in later years. I've learned a ton from everyone here and have a lot more to learn. Maybe others can learn from my mistakes and hopefully some successes. Got several good shoots off this field last year after a great opening day. Hoping for the same this year.

Sadly my good friend that was my close partner in doing this field and had a good bit of experience passed away 2 months ago. 49 years old, two teenagers and a wife at home, and Covid got him. I miss my buddy and his help. In his honor we are having his dad and sons come shoot with us this fall on the field. Really hopeful I can get this stuff out of the ground and some birds flying in September.

Basics

4.6 acre field-in far NWGA 3 miles from TN border at the base of White Oak Mtn in Ringgold.

Soil sample last fall got us on a plan for lime (ph was 5.9)and fertilizer. Just added another ton of the lime this week along with 220 lbs of triple 15 per acre. Added 200 pounds of nitrogen fertilizer on the corn half of the field. Plan to do another sample early fall to see where I'm at before planting this field in brassicas and winter wheat for the deer through the winter.

Burned last winters brassicas and winter wheat 3 weeks ago with Roundup (about 72oz of roundup per acre) and got the whole field browned up.

Tilled it last night, went over most of it twice. Planting today with a two row old Deere 7000 planter and putting half the field in corn and half in sunflowers. Hoping to catch the big rain this Saturday.

If I get annoying with this thread I apologize. Personally I'd encourage EVERYONE here to take and post lots of pictures of your plots/fields. I for one love seeing them, learning from them, and seeing how everyone else does things.

Attachments

• Dove21.3.jpg
    Dove21.3.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Dove21.1.jpg
    Dove21.1.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 147
  • Dove21.5.jpg
    Dove21.5.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 145

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Love how that field lays out! Did you have any thoughts on leaving any wheat for an early food source during the late summer?

SLY22

Useles Member !
Your field looks like a awsome place to hunt!
Beautiful country!!
So sorry for your loss and love the way you are honoring him!

ChattBuck

Love how that field lays out! Did you have any thoughts on leaving any wheat for an early food source during the late summer?

I did that last year and had wheat I left and cut strips in the two months prior to the season. It put a TON of seed on the ground . . .that the dove didn't seem to care for much. Granted in July and Early August we put out some corn and sunflowers to attract birds to the field and they greatly preferred that. I thought they'd wear that wheat out but they hardly touched it. So this year I just cut and tilled it all up.

Jim Boyd

Looks awesome !!!!!

Jim Boyd

We can see you are an analytical guy, but don’t waste your time worrying about something God is in control of.

You do your part and let Mother Nature do the rest.

ChattBuck

Slept much better this weekend. Sunflowers came up Thursday and Corn came up Friday. Got a great rain on them this morning as well.

Put out a total of 300 lbs of feed corn since the last planting to try and keep the creatures out of the field but there's already been a good bit on nibbling on the sunflowers on the edges. I suspect the multitude of rabbits in the area.

HAPPY DAD

Slept much better this weekend. Sunflowers came up Thursday and Corn came up Friday. Got a great rain on them this morning as well.

Put out a total of 300 lbs of feed corn since the last planting to try and keep the creatures out of the field but there's already been a good bit on nibbling on the sunflowers on the edges. I suspect the multitude of rabbits in the area.

Man if you have a healthy deer population, I am not sure how you will keep any sunflowers around. We can't without and electric fence. Which is just an added cost and added work, but it is worth it

ChattBuck

Man if you have a healthy deer population, I am not sure how you will keep any sunflowers around. We can't without and electric fence. Which is just an added cost and added work, but it is worth it

I'm in SEVERE NW Ga. We aren't exactly known for our deer population! That's what I'm working to improve. I'll take it as a good sign when I'm no longer able to do them but for now I'm hoping the corn keeps them out of the field for awhile.

HAPPY DAD

I'm in SEVERE NW Ga. We aren't exactly known for our deer population! That's what I'm working to improve. I'll take it as a good sign when I'm no longer able to do them but for now I'm hoping the corn keeps them out of the field for awhile.

I find it odd but I have a high deer population, and my deer dont touch corn. I am lucky in that regard. Now, sunflowers or any kind of beans, they demolish quickly

ChattBuck

I find it odd but I have a high deer population, and my deer dont touch corn. I am lucky in that regard. Now, sunflowers or any kind of beans, they demolish quickly

When I say corn, I mean the 100-200 pounds I'm spreading around the edge of the field every couple of weeks!

ChattBuck

Everything coming up good with all this rain. The sunflowers have been up now 2 weeks and are already tracking the sun. Corn coming up gangbusters as well.

Attachments

• DoveFieldMay10.3.jpg
    DoveFieldMay10.3.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DoveFieldMay10.5.jpg
    DoveFieldMay10.5.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 83

ChattBuck

The ragweed is here. Nothing I know of that can be sprayed on Sunflowers that will kill ragweed. Beyond didn't work last year as it shows a low affinity to do so.

Started backpack spraying rows with roundup yesterday. Will probably take a couple of weeks hitting a few rows at a time to get this done.

Next two years I'm planting RR corn on this half of my field so I can obliterate the ragweed with roundup from my big tractor sprayer.

Attachments

• Dovemay1721.2.jpg
    Dovemay1721.2.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DoveMay.jpg
    DoveMay.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

doomtrpr_z71

The ragweed is here. Nothing I know of that can be sprayed on Sunflowers that will kill ragweed. Beyond didn't work last year as it shows a low affinity to do so.

Started backpack spraying rows with roundup yesterday. Will probably take a couple of weeks hitting a few rows at a time to get this done.

Next two years I'm planting RR corn on this half of my field so I can obliterate the ragweed with roundup from my big tractor sprayer.
Aim with a hooded sprayer is probably the best control of ragweed in sunflowers you can get. If you get some Clearfield plus sunflowers you can put out an additional 2oz of beyond. Personally I wouldn't worry with RR corn, you'd be better off planting grain sorghum and spending the money on herbicides to clean up the rag weed, glyphosate isn't that great on ragweed without a tankmix partner.

ChattBuck

Aim with a hooded sprayer is probably the best control of ragweed in sunflowers you can get. If you get some Clearfield plus sunflowers you can put out an additional 2oz of beyond. Personally I wouldn't worry with RR corn, you'd be better off planting grain sorghum and spending the money on herbicides to clean up the rag weed, glyphosate isn't that great on ragweed without a tankmix partner.

By tankmix partner you mean a surfactant?

I like the RR corn as I leave about half of it standing through the deer season. Looks nice and the deer seem to lake it particularly later in the season.

doomtrpr_z71

By tankmix partner you mean a surfactant?

I like the RR corn as I leave about half of it standing through the deer season. Looks nice and the deer seem to lake it particularly later in the season.
No I mean a second herbicide, 24d tankmixed with atrazine would be a good choice to clean up the ragweed.