The rare "textbook" hunt!

tgw925

Decided to go on an evening hunt and boy did it make for a good one. Got to the property around 5 o'clock and tried our luck at finding a hot bird. After an hour of being unsuccessful I suggested we go set up near a a fresh clear cut where I knew some birds had been hanging around. Got to the spot and hit a few calls and nothing...next plan was to set up and do the whole patience deal but decided to let the glass rip one last time. *GOBBLE GOBBLE* there he goes...it was 6:00 pm at this point! A bird hammered about 500 yards away. We regrouped and headed his way, he was on the other side of some freshly thinned pines. We closed roughly 100 yards before we stopped to get a better location on the bird. This time he cut me off and had closed the distance significantly. Decided our best bet was to get situated and be ready for what was to come next. I played the silent game for 10-15 minutes then gave him a short 3 note yelp, THEY hammered. At this point three birds sounded off within 150 yards. I began to play out the situation in my head and think of worst case scenarios. I knew if the birds passed us up there was no way we could re-situate for the shot. The pines were 5th row cut and I knew to be successful on the harvest the birds would have to come down the lane we were set up on, no decoys were present so it was just us, my call and the turkeys...just the way I like it. Next thing I know I glance over and see a red head crossing over our lane and making his way behind us, I knew I HAD to do something quick or there was a good chance we were going to get the slip pulled on us. Reactions kicked in and I gave the pine straw a little scratching and let out another soft yelp. They HAMMERED...then proceeded to turn around and do just as planned. Next thing you know there was not 3, but 4 long beards followed by a hen walking the lane straight to us. Every bird was full strut, sun beaming, feathers screaming those god given colors ...just as you dream of. Jokers sounded like an Indian tribe as they closed the distance spitting and drumming. When they met their final destination they stood 12 steps from the bottom of my boots. 3-2-1-BOOM...two birds down and 2 saved for next time. Struck the birds at 6:00 and they were flopping by 6:25. Another textbook hunt added to the memory bank. Man do I love this sport.

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 799
  • turkey1.JPG
    turkey1.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 792
  • turkey2.JPG
    turkey2.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 789

mike1225

Awesome.

Nice Pictures.

Gaswamp

congrats..great pics

wvdawg

Staff member
Awesome hunt - congrats!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Exciting story, good job y'all!!!

wooly

What a hunt

What a hunt and those are some fantastic pictures to remember your hunt together!
Congrats Guys!

dhsnke

Congrats on a fine hunt and great pictures. That hunts rates right up there with sex in the morning.