Wood Ducks during Teal season?

Mexican Squealer

Anybody wish we could shoot Wood Ducks during teal season? Is there any logic in having states that allow it and states that don't?

rnelson5

It would keep a lot of them from being thrown in the bushes by the yahoos that can’t tell the difference.

across the river

Anybody wish we could shoot Wood Ducks during teal season? Is there any logic in having states that allow it and states that don't?

Years ago the Feds had a voluntary "special season"
that states cod sign up to participate in. Florida, tenn and I believe Kent maybe signed up. Like most gov programs it was never ended official so the states that originally did it that season still have it. They have never had another "voluntary" opportunity for others to join and probably never will at this point. Not real logical but that is why those three have it an no one else does.

across the river

Good info, thanks

They talked about ending it for those states a few years ago. There was an uproar about it, and the Feds counldn't prove it was actually hurting the population, so it will likely stay that way indefinitely. I just don't see them giving other states an opportunity, considering they probably don't like those three states having it at this point. They did something similar a few years ago up North in the central flyway with an experimental teal season. Iowa, Michigan, and another state or two choose to participate, but a couple of states didn't. The states that participated still have an "experimental teal season" while the ones that didn't participate do not.

From 80 to 85 we had a trial season for wood ducks. You could kill five a day.

Rich M

FL has the early wood duck season, limit 2 I think.

I don;'t hunt the early seasons - just the regular.