Public hearing June 14, White County High School

Dana Young

Since there is no bear season for dog hunting in the mountains I see no reason to allow dog training here. I believe that this will make it harder for those that hunt bear in the northern part of the state to get on one. besides we are only about 50 miles from north carolina and those that bear hunt with dogs are already going there to hunt why not train your dogs up there.
just my 2 cents worth and I will be at that meeting.
Dana

JBowers

Pursuit of bears with dogs for training purposes has been occurring for many decades on the Chattahoochee National Forest. This is not a new opportunity!

Over those decades, the season for doing so has been year-round for much of that time. It has been 290 days since about 2001 when the training season was limited from year-round to August 15-May31.

Bear harvest by archery and firearms hunters has increased over that same time.

The proposed season is a reduction of 50% and is responsive to public input. The proposed season eliminates this activity occurring during archery and firearms deer seasons and turkey season on the Chattahoochee National Forest.

Despite that Georgia does not have a season for hunting bear with dogs in the North Georgia Mountains, the Department recognizes the tradition of training bear dogs that has been practiced for many decades by several hunters who take their dogs to adjacent states to hunt bear with dogs. It is the Department's goal to maintain this traditional activity at some level while minimizing conflicts between various National Forest user groups.

Dana Young

Thank you Mr Bowers I was unaware that this was a reduction of a practice that was already being practiced. I was wrong and only going on my assumptions thank you for facts.

NEGA Hog Hunter

will be there in support of the traing season . and believe it or not i am agianst any reduction in hunting oppurtunities weather it effects me or not .