Yay? Nay? Comments?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Now name the rifle brand and action to match each king cartridge. :D

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Why wouldn't the king of single shots be a 45-70? It will take anything from a squirrel to an elephant.

Dub

You gonna start a brushfire with that 'un. :rofl:

Why wouldn't the king of single shots be a 45-70? It will take anything from a squirrel to an elephant.

And a shoulder. :D

Just kidding. I'm not recoil sensitive.....until Monday, it seems. It's been a while sense I've shot anything substantial like turkey loads or magnum rifles.....a long while.

My right shoulder is done. Doc told me earlier this month that I need full replacement. I'm stalling.

I'd recently added a new Henry H010 .45/70 to the safe.

Shot it for the first time on Monday. 7lbs of beauty, but packs a wallop to a tender shoulder. Don't get me wrong....running 20 rounds through it in short order probably wasn't called for and I enjoyed every round....but man....I felt them in the bones. No doubt about it, though....whatever is on the other end will feel it much worse. Hornady 325gr FTX loads were cooking outa there.

Maybe I can now justify getting a .30/30. It's been eons since I shot one. A Marlin .30/30 was the first rifle I deer hunted with and would really be cool to go back to one someday now that I'm getting old.:bounce:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
For me, the falling block action is the king of the actions. And you can get one in various calibers. I have one in my pet caliber, 270, and only want two more, one in 22 magnum and one in 45 70.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Good choices, all of them, and can't argue against any of them. But when I opened this thread I figured that would be reading about Weatherby cartridges...
I love my 300 wby Accumark, although it has admittedly too much horsepower for the hunting I do. Still, it is one of my most accurate and favorite rifles.
I know some of the new Ultra cartridges, STWs, short mags, etc have been knocking on the door, but the Weatherby cartridges have been regarded by many as king for a long long time!:flag:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The King of Single Shots - .22 LR or .45-70. There were an awful lot of single shots chambered in that round back in the day. Saw a lot of use both for hunting and military.

The King of Bolt Actions - .30-06 Springfield yep.

The King of Lever Actions - .30-30 Winchester or .44-40.

The King of Semi-Autos - .223 Remington or .22LR. :)

The King of Pump Actions - 12 Gauge certainly.

The King of Revolvers - .38 Special or .44 mag.

The King of Muzzleloaders - .50 caliber In recent years, maybe. .54-.68 calibers were the standard for centuries.

Yay? Nay? Comments?

.257 wm

I have a .257 WM that is a killer. Accurate and plenty of juice. But if I had to choose a favorite caliber, it would have to be a .308 Win. Favorite action would be bolt. Although I have a some of each actions. Love em all.

35 Whelen

The King of Single Shots - Ruger No. 1

The King of Bolt Actions - Mauser Model 98

The King of Lever Actions - Marlin Model 336

The King of Semi-Autos - Ruger 10/22

The King of Pump Actions - Remington Model 870

The King of Revolvers - Colt Single Action Army

The King of Muzzleloaders - American Long Rifle
(Pennsylvania, Shenandoah or Kentucky)

GunnSmokeer

I don't think the .22 long rifle is any more popular in single-shot rifles than the .410 bore is for single-shot shotguns.
Personally, I'd say the .45-70 "was" the king of the single shot rifles for years. But now, perhaps it's out of the running.

The semi-auto .223 rifles have been pretty popular for the last 40 years (starting with the Ruger mini-14, which was a lot more common than AR-15 type rifles through the 1970s and early 1980s). But I think "the king" of the semi-auto platform has to be the 9 x 19 mm, due to all the handguns that were made for that round, not to mention a good number of carbines that were semi-auto copies of machine guns.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
The King of Single Shots - Ruger No. 1

The King of Bolt Actions - Mauser Model 98

The King of Lever Actions - Marlin Model 336

The King of Semi-Autos - Ruger 10/22

The King of Pump Actions - Remington Model 870

The King of Revolvers - Colt Single Action Army

The King of Muzzleloaders - American Long Rifle
(Pennsylvania, Shenandoah or Kentucky)

So true but winchesters 1897 for the pump shotgun for my pick

pacecars

The king of pistols - 1911

King of single shots - Sharps 1874

For me, the falling block action is the king of the actions. And you can get one in various calibers. I have one in my pet caliber, 270, and only want two more, one in 22 magnum and one in 45 70.

I'm in your corner.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Remington 870 is more of a foot soldier that keeps the king in power. The king would be a pre-1964 Winchester Model 12; the Queen, M37 Ithaca and the Court Jester, the M500 Mossberg. All work just fine and I have examples of all. Gil

bighonkinjeep

Just replace every caliber you have listed with 12Ga and you'll be on the right track. Everything from elephants to sparrows and the most versatile cartridge on earth. It's easily and by a long shot the king of cartridges in any firearm.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would think a Winchester 73 in 44.40 would have to be in the top 3 for lever action King.

although the Marlin 336 is a great gun. I own a few examples of that model

Lead Poison

Remington 541...22LR
Winchester Model 70...30-06
Marlin 336...30-30
Colt AR-15...223 (center fire)
Ruger 10-22 (rim fire)
Remington 870...12ga.
Smith & Wesson 686...357 mag (double action, my pick over the 38 spl)
Ruger Blackhawk...357/38 (single action)
Thompson Encore...50 caliber