New to Rifle Hunting - What do you think?

rugerfan

I can't argue with what the others have said. The 30-06 will be all you need.

I caution you about buying another gun, because it will eventually lead to another, and another, and another, and another and another, then one day you wake up and realize that you are a gun junky! It happens! Seriously it does! :sneaky:

Dub

If you are interested in hogs and coyotes (and home defense), I'd get an AR in 556.

If I had known how much fun AR-style guns were to shoot....I wouldn’t have waited so long to jump headfirst into the fun.

So many ways to configure them.

Triggers of all types that can be owner installed.

So many excellent optics on the market.

Calibers galore. .223 to .450BM and a dozen more in between.

rosewood

30-06 is a versatile caliber.

110 grain for varmints
150 grain for White tails/Antelope/Muleys
180 grain for Elk
200 grain for Moose

Rosewood

SC Hunter

I've got a 30-06 bolt action that gets carried a little every year that I'll never get rid of. It isn't the fanciest rifle I've got but I would feel comfortable shooting anything in North America with it minus a big grizzly. I've come to the conclusion here lately before I buy another rifle in a caliber I don't already have I'll buy enough ammo to get me started good first.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
That guy that said don’t buy another deer rifle was right. You will need another gun. I got a 300 win mag I’m trying to tune waaaay down to 300 yards maximum but very slow no kick and 110 grain copper spire lead tip. Looow scope. Hope it doesn’t fail...
It’s all in the bullets now.:bounce:

Rich M

You'll never grab the wrong ammo if your semi and your bolt are both 3006.

Just make sure to find a round that shoots good in both. 150 is great for deer, 165-180 for elk and moose. You don't need to go heavier.

lonewolf247

As the others have said, with proper loads, the 30-06 fits the job fine. IMO, it's one of the best deer calibers using 150, or 165 grain loads, but doubles fine, with 180 grain loads, as an elk gun too.

Thanks all for the input, very much appreciated! The rifle I bought was from a friend and is an old Remington 742 (I grew up with Ithaca, Remington (Ilion & Ithaca less than 2 Hr.'s from my hometown) and Winchester). I took off the old Redfield 2x7 and put on a Vortex Diamondback 4x12-40. I was seriously thinking about getting a 30-06 in bolt for any/all the reasons posted...and having searched high and low for Ammo (I have enough for a bit), but am always picking up a box here and there as yesterday @ Sportsman's Warehouse in Anderson, SC.

Reactions: Dub

Wifeshusband

You're out of my caliber range, but I will tell you this, and maybe you'll feel better. A lot of people think the great Jack O'Conner was nothing but a .270 man. Actually he was a big fan of the .30/06, also. They were his two favorite calibers. (He like the .257, too and put in a good word for the .25/06).

Latest posts