Guided Out of state hunt

deers2ward

Ok y'all have convinced me. I've spoken to my buddy and our wives. We're gonna push the hunt to 2025 to save up a little more money and hop on an elk hunt without the wives. We will take our wives to their chosen destination couples trip in the meantime. Now I just need to start looking for a guarantee draw state elk hunt.
Smart man. You have quite a few options if waiting until 2025:

Things to think about that will determine what state and hunt you should look at:

Budget
Private or public land
Trophy potential
Archery or rifle
Horseback or Truck/ATV
Will you enjoy yourself in grizzly bear country

#1 will dictate #2 and #3, generally speaking. There are many lucky people who kill 300+ inch bulls every year in places where bulls average 250", etc. but I would not count on being one of them if it is something important to you. You get what you pay for is very true when it comes to guided hunts. If it's a once in a lifetime thing, I'd encourage you to save up for at least a middle of the road hunt, rather than going with the cheapest. The stories you hear of people who were unsuccessful or had a poor experience with their guides/outfitters are almost always the ones who went with the cheaper options.

A word of caution on some of the Montana and Idaho wilderness (public land) hunts...in much of those areas, the elk have been decimated the last 20 years by grizzlies and wolves, and while you will have a picturesque camping trip and hair raising horseback rides in the dark, only 20% of the hunters might get a bull.

It can be overwhelming to search, so you may consider joining Epic Outdoors or Huntinfool. They have consultants who can help you find the right hunt for you as well, and keep you away from crooks and poorly run outfits. I'm a member of Epic Outdoors....here are a few different hunts to give you an idea of how widely they can vary:

1695220597320.png
1695220778734.png
1695220728130.png

1695220690959.png
1695220758620.png
1695220839896.png
1695220817191.png

I have no affiliation with Epic Outdoors, but I wanted to share their info as I think they are a great resource.

Jim Boyd

Smart man. You have quite a few options if waiting until 2025:

Things to think about that will determine what state and hunt you should look at:

Budget
Private or public land
Trophy potential
Archery or rifle
Horseback or Truck/ATV
Will you enjoy yourself in grizzly bear country

#1 will dictate #2 and #3, generally speaking. There are many lucky people who kill 300+ inch bulls every year in places where bulls average 250", etc. but I would not count on being one of them if it is something important to you. You get what you pay for is very true when it comes to guided hunts. If it's a once in a lifetime thing, I'd encourage you to save up for at least a middle of the road hunt, rather than going with the cheapest. The stories you hear of people who were unsuccessful or had a poor experience with their guides/outfitters are almost always the ones who went with the cheaper options.

A word of caution on some of the Montana and Idaho wilderness (public land) hunts...in much of those areas, the elk have been decimated the last 20 years by grizzlies and wolves, and while you will have a picturesque camping trip and hair raising horseback rides in the dark, only 20% of the hunters might get a bull.

It can be overwhelming to search, so you may consider joining Epic Outdoors or Huntinfool. They have consultants who can help you find the right hunt for you as well, and keep you away from crooks and poorly run outfits. I'm a member of Epic Outdoors....here are a few different hunts to give you an idea of how widely they can vary:

View attachment 1255329
View attachment 1255336
View attachment 1255333

View attachment 1255332
View attachment 1255334
View attachment 1255338
View attachment 1255337

I have no affiliation with Epic Outdoors, but I wanted to share their info as I think they are a great resource.

Great great info