Guided hunt for a 13-year old’s first deer in Georgia?

My son wants to shoot a deer, but the problem is that I don’t hunt and don’t own any hunting gear (we’ve always fished). Before we start buying hunting guns and gear, I’d like to book a guided trip where my son could shoot a deer and see if he likes hunting. I’d go with him on the trip of course, but I don’t care whether I shoot a deer or not. Any recommendations for a good guide? We are in Georgia, so I’d like to stay in Georgia but am willing to travel for him to get a good deer. Thanks so much!

Deerhead

I know nothing about this outfitter. But its a good area and reasonable prices

SALT LOG OUTFITTERS - Hunting club
430 Lords Lake Rd
Toomsboro, GA 31090
(478) 733-3643
saltlogoutfitters.com

biggdogg

Probably not what you want to hear, but a guided trip to kill a deer on his first hunt won't tell you whether or not he likes hunting. It will just tell you he likes killing deer.

Lilly001

Probably not what you want to hear, but a guided trip to kill a deer on his first hunt won't tell you whether or not he likes hunting. It will just tell you he likes killing deer.
This^
I have a 13 year old grandson who has expressed a desire to hunt.
But he can’t sit more than 20 minutes.
His cousin (same age but a girl) can sit hours.
She shot her first this last season. He hasn’t sat long enough to kill a squirrel.
I’m going to try squirrel hunting with a dog for him this year. Keeping him moving might help.

slow motion

Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll both have a blast. There's also small game and hogs to hunt if you're inclined. Usually easier to find a squirrel than any other animal. And you can hunt hogs year round on private land.

basshappy

BANNED
My son wants to shoot a deer, but the problem is that I don’t hunt and don’t own any hunting gear (we’ve always fished). Before we start buying hunting guns and gear, I’d like to book a guided trip where my son could shoot a deer and see if he likes hunting. I’d go with him on the trip of course, but I don’t care whether I shoot a deer or not. Any recommendations for a good guide? We are in Georgia, so I’d like to stay in Georgia but am willing to travel for him to get a good deer. Thanks so much!

A few alternatives to a guided hunt:

1) Just get into the woods during hunting season a few times, wear blaze orange to be highly visible, and walk around a bit, real nice and quiet, ideally nowhere near anyone actively hunting. Spend hours there to see what happens in the woods that time of year. No guns, no pressure to take a shot, just a look, listen and learn.

2) Maybe tag along with a hunter to watch, listen and learn. Might be difficult to find a hunter willing to do this out of goodness of his or her heart, but it is a possibility. I question if any guide would allow a minor (anyone really) to take a shot knowing that person has no hands on with a firearm. Not just for personal safety but for ethical shot at a living animal.

3) Grab a book or two for your son and have him read, both of ya really, learn things and then do the walk into the woods. Taking with you what you learned from the book(s).

4) Some of the WMAs offer a Youth hunt and learn. I know Charlie Elliott does. You pay for yourself and your child and I think it is a weekend with a guide at Charlie Elliot first learning deer habits, safe operating and handling of firearm, guided hunt and then field dressing. Way more affordable than a lodge guided hunt I speculate.

Hunter922

What part of Georgia are you in ?
North, South, east, west..
A crossbow is a deadly weapon and I might be able to help if you're around me and it can be done with a crossbow (in an archery only county). I have the bow.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Not being a smart-alec here...

Does the kid know how to shoot? Has he got any experience with deer rifles?

What kind of groups is he shooting at 100 yards?

Unless you KNOW the answers to the above questions, he is not ready.

And I'm sorry, but you don't "shoot a deer to find out if you like hunting".

There is a lot of prep work, time, and effort that goes into a kid killing his first deer.

You can't hire it done...

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but it's the truth.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
Not being a smart-alec here...

Does the kid know how to shoot? Has he got any experience with deer rifles?

What kind of groups is he shooting at 100 yards?

Unless you KNOW the answers to the above questions, he is not ready.

And I'm sorry, but you don't "shoot a deer to find out if you like hunting".

There is a lot of prep work, time, and effort that goes into a kid killing his first deer.

You can't hire it done...

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but it's the truth.
That’s not true, I know several people who charge for paid hunts that would be happy to make 1500.00 or so and let a kid shoot his first deer with his father. They all have ranges where they can shoot prior to hunting. You don’t have to shoot 100 times before you go to “KNOW” if he can hit a deer or not. It’s really not that difficult.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If your a good hunter that’s what you do
That’s not true, I know several people who charge for paid hunts that would be happy to make 1500.00 or so and let a kid shoot his first deer with his father. They all have ranges where they can shoot prior to hunting. You don’t have to shoot 100 times before you go to “KNOW” if he can hit a deer or not. It’s really not that difficult.

Good night a livin'...:rolleyes:

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
If you honestly think that hunting can be reduced down to pulling the trigger and hitting a target that just happens to be a living animal, then I don't know what to say to you, except that we have very different ideas about hunting and will likely never agree.

basshappy

BANNED
No way am I handing the responsibility of a cripple shot off to a 13 year old. If I wound an animal I have to wrestle with that, I do not want that on any child.

MAYBE a 13 year old who has never shot is good on a stand or rest, but man if that deer moves the slightest ... and as a parent I wouldn't want that for my son.

Unless the "guide" is having the kid shoot over a bait bucket to conditioned deer used to eating every day man what a recipe for things to go badly.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Ok